Sign in to follow this  
mrraceinc

Bottom bracket to fit Redline 400 spindle?

I have 3 sets of Redline 400 crank arms and have finally come up with the correct spindle for them. I still need sealed bearings and hardware for them. Anyone have suggestions of what would work on these? I tried 401 hardware and bearings and they are larger diameter. Any help would be much appreciated. I would really like to finally be able to install a set on a bike now that I actually have a spindle.

I thought they might take a Sugino but I need sealed bearings and only have loose ball so I couldn't really check. Any suggestions where to get one? I already checked ebay with no luck.

They aren't OS, but why wouldn't the YST sealed BBs work? Sugino and the other Japanese BB spindles are all the same, right? YST is the same. Cheap on ebay and a good substitute till you find the right set up.

And if you already have a sealed spindle, the the YST bearings and cups might fit. I know the YST bearings and cups and spindles are exactly the same as the Torker BBs. I'm guessing the bearing size is fairly standard and therefore will work with other spindles.

I can get you ODs and IDs if you want.

They aren't OS, but why wouldn't the YST sealed BBs work? Sugino and the other Japanese BB spindles are all the same, right? YST is the same. Cheap on ebay and a good substitute till you find the right set up.

And if you already have a sealed spindle, the the YST bearings and cups might fit. I know the YST bearings and cups and spindles are exactly the same as the Torker BBs. I'm guessing the bearing size is fairly standard and therefore will work with other spindles.

I don't think the YST would fit. I know the loose ball hardware is too small to thread onto the Redline spindle. I would really like to sort it out though. I would think the Sugino stuff would be relatively easy to come by. I just haven't been able to find any!

I don't think the YST would fit. I know the loose ball hardware is too small to thread onto the Redline spindle. I would really like to sort it out though. I would think the Sugino stuff would be relatively easy to come by. I just haven't been able to find any!

Oh, I get it. It's the spindle that works with those Tioga sealed BBs for OP cranks. I see.

from what i understand, you need the spindle and bearings are specific to the redline/sugino 400's and DB turbo cranks

from what i understand, you need the spindle and bearings are specific to the redline/sugino 400's and DB turbo cranks

brian is correct. they are specific to the 400 spindle. mine came new with a sugino sealed bottom bracket. they rarely come up on the bay.

This is the spindle I have. I thought the spindle would be the hard part to come by! I can come up with newschool bearings for these but that doesn't solve the problem of finding the hardware for it.

webco_nov_08_001.jpg

Don't those have a standard square taper? I was thinking of getting a set to use on a Euro BB bike with some sweet BB like a Phil or whatever someday. Will that not work?

Don't those have a standard square taper? I was thinking of getting a set to use on a Euro BB bike with some sweet BB like a Phil or whatever someday. Will that not work?

i believe the square taper is a different size.

i believe the square taper is a different size.

Interesting. That's good to know.

I've heard that 400's will work with Cook Bro's BB spindle as well... I have also seen a Shimano spindle that nearly filled the taper but I never test fitted the length of the Shimano spindle for length so it may or may not work.

I've heard that 400's will work with Cook Bro's BB spindle as well... I have also seen a Shimano spindle that nearly filled the taper but I never test fitted the length of the Shimano spindle for length so it may or may not work.

That's weird. If CBs work why wouldn't other BBs? I wanna know more. I'd like to use some of those with a Euro BB bike. Be nice to have something kinda stiff. Never noticed how flexy older-style 3P cranks are despite using them on all sorts of road, track, commuter and mountain bikes.

I too thought of Shimano spindles and tried them at one point. I think they were pretty narrow but seamed to fit pretty snug. I actually wrote them off once I realized they were for a Euro bottom bracket and didn't check into it anymore. I will check in the next couple of days. Might be pretty sweet on my 81 GT Pro with Euro bottom bracket!

all those Sugino-made cranks (redline 400, sugino 400, DB turbo...) used a specific oversize spindle with a different dimension taper. Cook Bros (or any other square-taper will not fit correctly (read: WILL damage the parts).

whether someone else's bearing set may fit the specific Sugino spindle, i can't say (never looked into it).

**not sure if the oversized ANLUN/Haro spindle would work, but those aren't any easier to find, anyway. the thing with those is they just take any regular 24tpi BB set.

the anlun/haro group1 spindle has an even larger square taper than the sugino one.....

it dont work!

I finally was able to come up with the correct NSK bearings and cups thanks to a lead from 21windowkuwahara. Any options for the rest of the hardware other than the almost $30 US for the 2 nuts from the UK? I know it seems like a small price to be able to complete my crankset but the idea of $30 for 2 small flat nuts just kills me! I will do it if there are no other options though!

I have the same issue any info on what BBs cups to use for a sugino 400 would be really helpful.

The Sugjno cups (like the ones posted above) are the only ones I know that fit.  I can measure the ones I have later.