Sign in to follow this  
BMXROB

GHP info (company)

What's the story with those pads, Andy? Cool, and I am not sure if I've seen them quite like that before.

this thread rules! Are these Aerospeeds on this bike I know the spider is but i cannot tell if the cranks are?

post_1031_1228295941_thumb.jpg

There's a white set as well. I have one of both, but mine are sadly faded. Those ones of yours are mint, Andy.

Cool seeing the photos of the original GHP team.

I've got two photos of Robby Taft racing in 83'. He was a class younger than me. Probably born in 1969.

Used to see him all the tiem at ABA and NBA nationals in the early 80's. Think he was on either GT or Elf before he signed with GHP.

I heard someone say they saw Tory Baily a few yeas back. Said he was a big brute!!! LOL!

Jason Donnell raced for a very long time, close to 20 years. He was a AA Pro as far back as I believe 2001.

Edited by Johnny Johnson

Well -- I think I know what next year's project is for me. Think it's time to pull my Cycle Pro off the shelf.

Ant - that's a shot of Charlie Williams from earlier in this thread. This is post-Hutch. I guess he brought his cranks with him.

I have one question after reading the article Z-Man posted. How many guys that have OG GHP bars really have Cycle Pro bars? Is there a way to tell the difference? The frame is easy to spot if the serial is in tact (Koizumi baseball stamp), but what about the bars?

this thread rules! Are these Aerospeeds on this bike I know the spider is but i cannot tell if the cranks are?
def. Areospeeds there Ant.
Jason Donnell raced for a very long time, close to 20 years. He was a AA Pro as far back as I believe 2001.
that's cool to know - he really stuck in there.

What's the story with those pads, Andy? Cool, and I am not sure if I've seen them quite like that before.

I got the pads form Don Parscale (Ultramax) who had ties with GHP.

I also got my Star Bars from him.

Greg used Ultramax cranks towards the end of GHP.

The black pads were advertised in the ads for the 1985 GHP full bike and frame set line up.

However, at that point the pad sets changed to look like the newer GHP logo without the lines.

Greg still had a deal with Zap Pad pads throughout GHP so you'll see him running Zapa and the Johar GHP pads.

I gotta say the NOS chrome Johar pads are (or were) one of the easiest things to find!

You'd pay $500 for Hutch equivalents!

I have one question after reading the article Z-Man posted. How many guys that have OG GHP bars really have Cycle Pro bars? Is there a way to tell the difference? The frame is easy to spot if the serial is in tact (Koizumi baseball stamp), but what about the bars?

possibly the finish and the welds, also Star Bars generally have no knurling in teh stem clamp area.

Cool pads Andy :ThumbsUp: .

I've noticed variations on pads too , I've 3 sets of chrome but they're as follows regarding the small signature part .

Used - All 3 pads are signed Greg Hill .

NOS - 2 pads are Greg Hill sig & 1 Cal lite Johar .

Used - All 3 pads are signed Cal lite Johar .

Pics of Cal Lite used set & NOS mixed set . I know that the Cal lite full set are old because they were on my Sept 83 bike so I'm thinking they came before the Greg signed ones .

IMG_2977__Large_.JPG

IMG_2982__Large_.JPG

good spotting Matt - I never noticed that before - I'll have to have a look at mine.

Do yours all have red foam?

good spotting Matt - I never noticed that before - I'll have to have a look at mine.

Do yours all have red foam?

Yep , all red :wink:

Sourced from a seller in Germany, I'll wager.

The unused mixed set , yes .

Now how does a guy in Germany have such a big stock of GHP pads?

Now how does a guy in Germany have such a big stock of GHP pads?

lol ......... something I've asked myself before too ! .

Will you monkeys stop talking about GHP? I'm trying to buy one and don't need the added awareness....lol.

I'm kidding of course......great thread.

NM Mike

From GH post on page 1 back in Dec 2008. It just makes the 90's frames more confusing because it is fact that Greg had Elf make 100 frames and the seat stay to seat tube junction was wrong and Greg took the 100 frames and didnt order more from Elf, but says nothing about having more frames made than those 100. The Elf frames were serialed on the RIGHT rear dropout (outside) and were GHP1000-GHP1100. Then there were frames that were spot on to the 83-85 frames but the serial number was on the INSIDE of the left dropout and had the same font decal as the 91 Elf made frames but in white or red color (and some Rasta still). This interview mentions NOTHING of the 92 frames but they are clearly different than the Elf made frames.  Pics below again for reference.

QUOTE FROM GREG:

"OK here is my best shot at the history of GHP:

July 1983 my Father and I decided to change Star Products BMX into GHP BMX and made our debut at the 1983 NBL Grand Nationals..We operated GHP until early 1986, hard times with our vendor VDC, basically Voris sold his manufacturing business and the new owner did not have clue one as to building bikes, parts just did a terrible job. We could not accept product that had been ordered and was completely wrong..It was just junk..During the middle of GHP 83-86 we entered into an agreement with West Coast Cycles (Cycle Pro) to license the name Greg Hill and GHP BMX to distribute our products. The demand that created along with not being able to get product put GHP about $200,000.00 into back orders which ultimately made us pull the plug. I then signed with Red Line as they were headed out of business (I had no idea) Linn Kasten owed Sugino a huge amount of money, he could not pay and stopped doing business until SBS stepped in and purchased the name...Good call SBS..Time went on, in 1991 I had Ken from Elf make me 100 frames and forks..I paid him 100% of the money up front and 2 months later went to pick up my product, he made the seat stays wrond, and he said we ran out of tubing for your forks so here are 100 pair of Elf forks..I was dumbfounded..OK so now we know why Elf went under...I sold the 100 frames and called it a day..In 2005 I had been getting e mail messages from a lot of people over the course of 2 years and decided to make 50 cromoly 20" and 50 cromoly 24" frames with todays spec and yesterdays stickers..I did this with my buddy Alan Worley out of Jackson Tenn...We sold out in a short period of time...I let some time go by and decided to pick up the GHP name for good and do something with it..I was working for Mike Flaherty at Atomlab and he allowed me to do a run of GHP frames, they sold within 4 weeks and I said " Mike, I'm going to go out on my own, is that cool" Mike said go for it..I approached my first partner Rick in March of 2007 and we became partners..About 5 months later we approached my buddy Trevor Reynolds and he became the 3rd partner for GHP. We rolled along doing real good and in January of 2008 I brought my friend Eduardo into GHP as it's 4th partner..It's R&G Direct Marketing LLC..DBA GHP BMX our goal is to become a full blown bicycle company by January 2011 and were on our way.."

The frame and fork used in the Dec 1992 BMX Plus is clearly NOT an Elf made frame and fork. I've attached pics of my 91 Elf made frame and fork GHP1021 and pics of my 92 GHP frame and fork 0692242. Who made the frames after the 100 Elf frames?? They clearly exist but are not mentioned AT ALL by Greg anywhere I can find.

91 and 92 frames (click on pics and they are right side up.)

20181220_130151.jpg

20181220_130141.jpg

20181220_130110.jpg

20181220_130115.jpg

20181220_130124.jpg

20181215_194701.jpg

20181215_194714.jpg

20181215_194728.jpg

Did you try contacting Greg Hill to shed some light on them?

No. I dont have a way to get ahold of him. I dont do facebook.

Test

4969D133-5C25-40B3-B408-E190FB2B35FC.jpeg

that was a test... I saved your image on my phone, opened it up in photos, chose edit, spun it, saved it.  It works.

Also... you have done entire posts with all correct photo orientation...  I doubt it's just random coincidence.