Sign in to follow this  
mrraceinc

Cycle Pro Foiler and Spoiler colors and years

I have both a Cycle pro spoiler and Foiler frames and am ready to build them up. Both frames are relatively scratched up and really need to be refinished. What colors did these come in and what years were they built? The Spoiler was originally blue(bead blasted at some point not by me) and the Foiler was silver. There are no serial #s on either of them. Any info would be appreciated.

Did they come in the same colors as Race Inc?(Red, Blue, gold and silver) Were there any black ones? Just finally digging some of my old frames out that really need to be redone and want to get them right the first time!

here's a couple pics of a "foiler" i pulled out of a bike shop in hilo hawaii while on vacation.

i believe it's a 1978 with a serial number of 0078

hawaii_3_029.JPGhawaii_3_032.JPG

hawaii_3_033.JPGhawaii_3_035.JPG

hawaii_3_031.JPG

All CP frames were offered in the same ano'd colors that Race Inc's were. . I've personally had red, blue and polished. These frames were only offered from 77 to 79ish under the CP label. ANY frame 78 or newer from Bastian had a one piece lug behind the BB. This one has a welded lug in the pic so its a 77. OM contracted Alcoa to make the one piece lug for ALL SE frames when they (SE) started production in 78, so everything Pre SE was welded and everything from 78 on to 84 was NOT welded.

CP frames had serial numbers stamped in the BB or the lug. These serials meant nothing.

Brian, I knew you would chime in with the helpful informantion! Both of mine have welded lugs behind the bottom brackets. I guess I can pretty much do them in any of the Race Inc Colors then. Thank for the info!

here's a couple pics of a "foiler" i pulled out of a bike shop in hilo hawaii while on vacation.

hawaii_3_031.JPG

Very old post I know...but do you want to sell this Foiler frame? I used ot have a Gold foiler in 76/77 when they were new. I just bought a silver one and it needs alot of work.

Thanks

I would of sent a message to your mailbox but I am not allowed yet since I have not posted anything yet.

hawaii_3_031.JPG

Very old post I know...but do you want to sell this Foiler frame? I used ot have a Gold foiler in 76/77 when they were new. I just bought a silver one and it needs alot of work.

Thanks

I would of sent a message to your mailbox but I am not allowed yet since I have not posted anything yet.

hey there. welcome to the site. email me at : robertkuhl@aol.com

hawaii_3_031.JPG

Thanks

hey there. welcome to the site. email me at : robertkuhl@aol.com

YGM....thanks for the welcome.

Trying to do research on one of my frames. I just got Both frames .Both came from a gentleman in California who was personal friends with Scot B .Did cycle pro Foilers come without a brake bridge ? 

59D8D3FE-9D77-43B8-BEF3-553C543BC310.jpeg

9554445D-1CD8-4B91-82FD-6F38D96DD824.jpeg

4A414F26-102E-4436-B67F-AD5AE6979B59.jpeg

B0C95DCA-DFFD-480D-84AD-60C98BD351FC.jpeg

Neither one of those are a Cycle Pro Foiler or Spoiler. All Cycle Pro frames had brake bridges. Foilers had the foiler top tube. In 1976 at the start of Race Inc and FMF Neither the Race Inc RA7 or FMF (same frame) had brake bridges. By the middle of the year in 1977 both the FMF and Race Inc had brake bridges and all Cycle Pro's always had a bridge. The fact that there is a number stamped on the bottom bracket just means someone ( usually a police dept) stamped it. All Cycle Pro frames were only offered in anodized colors. Never painted colors. The gold frame appears to have had a Race Inc decal added. It isnt original. This gold frame is a frame geometry made by Race Inc that was never sold as a Race Inc. They were only ever sold as a Laguna GT expert and a Raleigh Rampar. These are a frame size bigger than the Race Inc RA8 and smaller than a Race Inc RA7. Given the color (gold ano) and the long seat stay gusset makes it a Laguna GT. The blue frame is a 1976 Race Inc RA7.

• Like 1

Ok thank you for the info . I added the race inc decals to the gold frame . Both frames are anodized . When I got the gentleman ( which I consider a friend now ) told me the blue one should have the yellow and red FMF decals ( which I had gotten for it ) There is also a very faded shadow on the blue frames neck tube in the shape of an oval from old decal as the anodize faded over the years ..

Posted (edited)

More pics of the gold one please. Particularly where the chain stays attach to the bottom bracket. I didn’t know Laguna had an expert frame.

Edited by dav451

46 minutes ago, Twjs17 said:

96C2A27B-D458-40BF-A9A8-508DC0CF9FAE.jpeg

A4E3674B-EE93-4FD9-BCD5-C1D4E5EEFA99.jpeg

9B848A41-6B65-460F-AB51-AF3EC87FD00B.jpeg

Thanks, but I have to apologize. I forgot to mention the underside to see if there is a weld in the lug between the bottom bracket and the chain stays. Very nice frame. Pretty sure it’s a Raleigh Rampar Jr. 

Posted (edited)

Borrowed this pic from another site

676ACC44-8F9C-4357-9EF3-49D9695326EB.png

410208FC-64E1-4018-867D-7F85C50E88B1.jpeg

A1F5C0E7-8C6E-4BFF-A7CB-CEADD68605B5.jpeg

Edited by dav451

Well like I said before. This frame was offered as a Raleigh Rampar and A Laguna GT expert. Exact same frame with different decals. Most of the Rampars were blue ano and the Lagunas were gold ano but whatever. Yes it can be either. I love people who ask questions on the internet and I take the time to post FACTUAL information and they choose to continue looking. Bit of info about the bike you posted. It belongs to Leviathan on Museum. Just remember there is as much WRONG info posted on that site as there is right. The thing about your gold frame is the FMF decal on the seat tube. Looks like its been there awhile, so that's odd but the FMF jr frame was a Race Inc RA8 with FMF decals so.....

As far as the blue frame. NOT an FMF. The FMF frames had a hole in the center of the front gusset and FMF frames were only offered in gold ano, red ano and polished. (Yes ONE blue painted frames with Original FMF decals has surfaced but it's not the norm). Your frame is blue ano and doesn't have the front hole. NOT an FMF.

Had another guy on this site send me a message about a nice Race Inc frame and I gave him paragraphs of info and his response was " Thanks. I'll keep digging for info". What the actual fuck. Most of the time, helping isn't worth the hassle. Carry on.....

Also again, neither of these frame had serial numbers. The numbers stamped on both were done by an owner.

I definitely appreciate all the info and the time given to answer and explain it all  . Thank you again .

Posted (edited)

Any factual, definitive ads of a 1977 laguna gt jr . I’m not saying there’s not one, I would just like to see it Brian 

Edited by dav451