Sign in to follow this  
Monster-Robot

Comprehensive Matthews/LRV thread

yes i saw it.i almost bought the one you got !! but i dont need any more bikes. iam glad you got it. i would like it with the mm1's but its you choice it would look good with either. good luck with it..

WOW! That is seriously nice...probably the best MS-1 survivor I've seen. Does it have the fluted seat post? I only have one....and need a couple others.

This one belongs to JHaney:

Matthews_seat_post.jpg

Michael, The frameset I received today has that fluted seatpost, and orig shock, in nice condition. Looking forward to getting to work on it.

Well its Christmas in August,I didnt think I would ever get a set of Matthews forks but I got my second Matthews mono with fork.As you can see its not going to be a serviver. Under two shades of blue and black it looks like it started out red. I havent seen a red one anywhere so not sure it could be.

I would like to find a MS1 sticker, and havent seen a head tube sticker like this one has.

Cant wait to get going on this

Thanks Gary

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2164.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2160.JPG

I have the top tube decals. PM me your addresses and I'll get them out to you.

Please put your serial numbers here:

Serial Number thread

All of the TR-1s I've seen have those head tube decals and I've seen a couple other frames with them.

this is an amazing thread actually... 4 years worth. Crackerz go deep.

I recently picked up this tandem and I had never heard of Matthews before. I found the ad for the tandem in this thread. Being thankful for finding the information about my bike here, I'm posting photos to contribute back a bit. It has a really strange Union drum hub, with a lens wrapped completely around it. This weekend I plan on disassembling the hub to see what the lens is all about. I'm hoping to find a dyno and lamp.

~ Dave

G069.jpg

G070.jpg

Very cool. I was wondering when one of these was going to show up. I like the color.

A lighted hub...? How cool would that be?

:rockout:

Finally got my red MS1 finished. It didn't have any of the origanal red paint, expect for under the head tube sticker we matched it pretty spot on. A lot of the parts came off a other mono that was repainted and pieced together. But that's my next one. It has MS1 seat and fluted seat post and origanal shock with the Matthews sticker in tact. Also pictured with with her sister in yellow. Thanks to Michael for the stickers and imformation.

65CAAED0-078C-4B4F-92C0-0C1DD5ECD847-730-00000134CC885832.jpgA74092AA-0907-4323-9473-17F497C8CA8A-730-0000013585C3A95D.jpg4B9C3294-8107-4967-9CB7-DD0CA233555F-730-00000134F1F9CEC4.jpg0FF202CC-0397-4822-9326-62F482FB94C7-730-00000135050AE1A4.jpg9F65A0FF-A010-4660-BC5F-6BCC31597B3B-730-000001361D80BB6B.jpg

Sweet! They both look great. Just wanted to say "THANKS!" to Michael for the stickers as well.

Finally finished a bike. 1977 Matthews/LRV Moxie Mono. I was told when I purchased the frame that this is TIM's old one that used to have the Tange TX-100. It was refinished a long time ago and I added the reproduction Moxie and chainstay decals. I used mostly Schwinn parts, Union pedals, MX-60s, Hunt Wilde grips and a stamped Ashtabula stem. Finding the chrome LRV fork gave me the kick in the ass I needed to get this finished.

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

Finished this recently after a long battle with the wheels. Original except soft parts and pedals.  Huge thanks to Sodbuster for the donation of the correct seat.

1975 Matthews TR-1 Trials bike:

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Bump for badassery

IMG_5480.JPGIMG_5481.JPGIMG_5482.JPG

Holy ass crackers! I just re-read this whole thread (which is awesome by the way.) and realized none of my Matthews or LRV's are represented. Gotta do something about that like NOW!

Trials TR-1

TR-1.jpg

Matthews mono.

matthews1.JPG

LRV Moxie mono with AMF Screamer girder fork & bars.

LRV1.jpg

Nice. Is it yours?

23 minutes ago, TrulyOdd said:

Nice. Is it yours?

It is. Second owner, since about '94. 1st owner stopped using it maybe around '84. Still haven't made out a serial#. Assumed it was a red line for an embarassingly long time. Then I learned the word "gusset".

Edited by be_spoke

The forks are Red Line though :ThumbsUp:

1 hour ago, TrulyOdd said:

The forks are Red Line though :ThumbsUp:

Ooooooh....and with that, I now both understand why the decal is there, and realize the original forks were in the huge pile of metal long ago recycled, from the garage in which this had been stored. I'm gonna go tighten that chain, and go for a ride, thinking about what I've done.

You should check the condition of those tires and rims before you decide to ride on 40 year old parts. Nice bike by the way.

Edited by dav451

53 minutes ago, dav451 said:

You should check the cost of those tires and rims before you decide to ride on 40 year old parts. But it is yours to do what you want. Nice bike by the way.

Cost? Do you mean condition? This bike gets ridden, I'm not just now pulling it out of a forgotten shed. But to add info, manufature date code puts the tires at Feb '75 I think. Carlisle Aggressor MX.

Edited by be_spoke
Additional Info.