Sign in to follow this  
eded450

S.M.X.T Sylmar

HOT DAMN this is turning out to be a GREAT thread.

Hey Big Fire or Bobby Encinas, do either of you have ANY pictures of Lemon Tree? Welcome back Bobby. I rode with you a couple of times with Chris Herting and his brother Eric and Bobby Jimenez from Pedalers West to Nike Base back around 1974/75 or so.

HOT DAMN this is turning out to be a GREAT thread.

Hey Big Fire or Bobby Encinas, do either of you have ANY pictures of Lemon Tree? Welcome back Bobby. I rode with you a couple of times with Chris Herting and his brother Eric and Bobby Jimenez from Pedalers West to Nike Base back around 1974/75 or so.

yes nick i have a bunch.. i posted some in the mel thread. i will try to post more tonight

What is interesting about these photos is that they are not so tight on the riders and give a much better perspective of the track layout and surrounding area... thanks for posting and keep 'em coming!

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

BMX 70s 166.jpg

for the love of god, will someone please make a physical poster of this shot? I need it for my office/shop.

unreal. going to be picking up pieces of my head of the floor all day.

Hey Ed,

do the names of either LANCE UPDYKE,GARY TATSUMI or MARK and or CHRIS VIAULT ring a bell? They were all from my hood being near Honda Hills, Hubbard and Laurel Canyon and San Fernando Road and Nurmi Street.

You had mentioned Pedalers West, do you remember Maclay Schwinn? John and Sue (forgot the last name) later owners of Sylmar Schwinn after the move from Maclay to Gladstone and Hubbard?

I remember hanging around Pedalers with Mort and Jim. Do you remember the Hertings? Chris,Eric and Jim the dad? Mort was such a nut with his Bob Jackson Touring bike. Always thought he was pretty cool with that VW Bus/Van he had.Remember the Choppers they had back in the shop about 1973/74?..LOL

What about the RANCH? Was an old pool in upper San Fernando/Sylmar by El Cariso? First place I EVER rode my trusty Banzai Board in a pool.

I could go on and on with the old spots and people...Welcome again to the site. :)

...........Nick....Do you mean the "Ranch" pool that was in that overgrown compound and was a basic rectangular pool,but had that water drain 'lip' between the top of the tile,seperating it from the coping....And just when the "session" would be going good,a caretaker dude would show,sending us scatering all over the place..!...( I would 'hop' back in a few minutes after he left..).

tthe had the place was called fritzburns ranch they had the raindeer that you could get you picture take with we used to skate there all the time

Wow, Fritzburns pool brings back some great memories. That was a fun pool good tranny and no coping to hang up on. Good place to learn to ride vert!

bump

this is solid gold, Steve big fire, thank YOU.

On 10/6/2011 at 9:04 AM, BOBBYENCINAS said:

david clinton @ 1st yarnell track in sylmar,they had to shutdown, because to many knockouts the track gave.

dc0016.jpg

I remember John George driving me and Cash Matthews and Mark Carlton to a race @ Yarnell in the summer of '76.  On the way into the track he pointed at a 90 degree turn that looked like it dropped off a cliff and said "that was the original Yarnell but it was too dangerous."  Is this a pic of that corner?

Can't remember my race results from that day, but I do remember it being the most fun I ever had on a BMX track.

Cool story.  Any pics from those times? 

That looks like the turn. The upper part of the old track was a series of jumps that got bigger and bigger leading into that right turn. Missing that turn was a big problem. The first time I rode that track we drove down from Nor Cal and got to Sylmar at night. We took our bikes out and it was a full moon. The dirt was really sandy and it reflected the moonlight so we could see pretty well. Crazy things you do when you’re 16 years old.