Sign in to follow this  
cycleostomy

Burbank,kid run B.M.X.,"circa" 1975.!.

Figured I would check with the members,here and former 'here'.About 1975,myself and a group of kids built and 'maintained' a downhill track-known as "Lucky Busters"and a more or less flat track known as "The Flats".We had donated hot hats and t-shirts from the Suzuki and Honda shops,rubber band start,tools to get water out of the tank on the hill-the whole deal...If anyone's memory gets jogged from this,let me know....I was on a mono-shock the camera had a hard time with,and my brother,jumping ala-Webco..!

mike.bmp

My buddy had a sickhack that He would take around that thing. I lived closer to Griffith Park and we had a course out there called Secret Moto. Have you heard of that one? My friends and I also liked to bomb down some of the equestrian trails around there too. You had to be careful because you could get busted by the park attendants.

I grew up on the border of Burbank in Glendale. I seem to recall that spot "Lucky Busters". Was it off of sunset canyon blvd? I remember having to ride past De Bell golf course for about another mile or so before I got to it. If so I went there a few times to ride. Cool spot as I recall.

My buddy had a sickhack that He would take around that thing. I lived closer to Griffith Park and we had a course out there called Secret Moto. Have you heard of that one? My friends and I also liked to bomb down some of the equestrian trails around there too. You had to be careful because you could get busted by the park attendants.

....Griffith Park,in the very early days,had a real ,short lived B.M.X. track,I think N.B.A....Where those big ol' soccer fields are now....We used to test parts over at the park while my dad was playing tennis on the Los Feliz side.I recall a 'secret track'over a tall berm on Forrest Lawn....Would sneak the X.R.-75 over there.

Debel Golf Course. That brings back some drunk memories

Burroughs class of 1984!

I am Burbank,class of 1980-quick 'learner' program.!...Married a girl from Burroughs....Lucky Busters was below DeBell,in the area where the trash trucks,from below,would come up..!

I used to race at the old Valley Youth Center in Van Nuys.

.......................We would load up the Wagon three times a week,Wednesday-Encino Velodrome,Friday-Van Nuys Youth Center,And a Sunday Downhill,either Yarnell,or Randall Ranch.....

sooo cool . i have been in burbank for the last 18 years or so . and now married to a burroughs graduate .... wish that spot was still there man ...

donnie

It's just not the same anymore. I have escaped "Burbankdom" and now live in Phoenix Arizona. There are a lot more open spaces to ride out here. :Liv2ride:

that is true . i was born and raised in scottsdale . and my parents and friends still live there . i love it in burbank . and call it home .but do miss az for sure . i try to go back at least once a year ...

Digging 'em up,Spike....Lotta early Sting-Ray frankenstein cutting,welding...breaking.......

You've come to the right place with your Franken-Bike pics... post 'em up, please! And don't forget to tell your stories, too! :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

id love to see some van nuys teen center photos!

beavers_copy.jpg

.................Found a couple 'early'pictures...The one is my brother,on his fresh Webco,with a early,early Redline fork holding off a neighbor on his Schwinn Sting-Ray at Burbank's Lucky Buster's downhill.................The other is me testing a new jump at our flat-track called"The Flats"....I am on a root beer painted Sting-ray with a front tire that barely cleared the forks...!.The houses's above would soon take over our track..!

bike2.bmp

My brother, friends and I rode Lucky Busters ALL THE TIME.  We lived across the street from Emerson Elementary on San Jose near Kenneth.  Haha, of course nobody wore helmets in those days.  I remember taking a big jump that lead in to that baseball field that was right next to it.  Woke up later with my friends hovering around me saying "are you ok, dude".  Good times.  Oh, the backwards painter caps!

Pics?