Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

Just another Hutch....

thats some funny shit right there --- nice one tom - now go check out that NL museum thread --- the second pic of that first post (HUTCH /DB display) i think it'll interest you .....

oh and sell that stem on ebay (it should help you recoupe the funds with the quickness)

Man what a thing to happen! That is one weird coincidence, a real case of lightning striking twice.

Is the chrome better or worse than the one you have built up? If it's better, i'd probably build the 'new' one up instead.

Man I couldn't have kept a poker face in that situation! As soon as I knew what it was, my face would have gone red and i'd have started sweating and stuttering all over the place! Way to keep your composure man!

The chrome is MUCH better on the one I bought yesterday. I think I will swap out the frames on my TJ replica bike...at least that's the way I'm leaning at the moment. It might sound goofy, but I like the other frame as well. Maybe it's because it took me so long to find the first one, and even though it's not perfect, it actually seems more sentimental to me.

For what it's worth...the bike I bought yesterday was NOT cheap. It was not a $50 or $100 or even a $300 purchase....it was much more than that. But it was a price I was more than willing to pay being that the original finish and decals were so nice.

Hey Tom,

As I mentioned in my PM last night, I can't believe how awesome this is.

I do find it interesting how these parts (the Hutch ones specifically) got paired up together. We have an 1981 frame from the Profile factory. We have the 1982 (short lived Thruster-designed model -- most infamous and prone to cracking) from the Speed Unlimited factory. And we have a seat post from the late 1983/84+ in-house Hutch factory.

The seat-post is easy as it was probably added later for extra room. The frame fork combo is more difficult:

Scenario A) It is a replacement fork because the original Profile fork broke... although (as I seem to remember) most of the Hutch fork failure "talk" was in regard to the Thruster-designed drop-outs (which were very quickly replaced with the classic "Hutch-designed" dropouts (made in same Speed-Unlimited factory). And to note, were VERY reminiscent of the leading axle Profile-design they had been using a year earlier.

Scenario B) The frame COULD be a one of a group of Profile-made ones that were still in the warehouse when the switch to Speed Unlimited manufacturing took place. It is "possible" a newer fork just got paired with an older frame and was shipped together. This could very-well explain the seat-stay decals... as we have seen (two?) NOS "drilled" Hole-Shots with this newer (1982+) style seat-stay decal.

Scenario C) Probably the least-likely... but, a last minute thought ran across my mind... Johan wrote that Richard mentioned there was a second crop of drilled brake-bridge frames (with thicker brake bridges to try and prevent cracking). Do we know for sure who made these... Did the change take place while still using Profile as the manufacturer? Or, was it possible that S.U. started with a newer (thicker) drilled bridge before stamping them? Unlikely, I know... but just a concept I felt worth mentioning because the early Hutch years still seem to be rather mysterious.

OK... I'm Over-thinking the matter for sure... LOL.

Regardless of the cost Tom, an AWESOME find... A "score" at any cost. I am happy for you and jealous at the same time. ;-)

Ron

Wow, all that time you spent trying to find an XL, settled for the standard I sold you... then found a nos standard...then found the XL you always wanted and sold me back the standard.....built the replica you wanted to, and all that time there was a mint condition XL in your back yard!!!! awesome find Tom, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Greg

good things happen to good people. congrats on the find tom.

x1,000

:nailed:

cool