Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Earliest GT's... Pedals Ready, CYC AMES connection, the mono... all of that

That GT jersey thread got me poking through my photo archives and thinking about GT in general.

Check out this Pedals Ready GT.

Would someone like to take a crack at summarizing the early history of the company and discussing the first GT made bikes? I'd welcome that. Gary Turner, Rich Long, Bill Hemmrick... it seems like the basic outline of the story is well known, but it'd be cool to get more in depth about design, fabrication, inspiration... how it all came together.

In any case.... does anyone here have one of these in their collection? Please post a photo and tell us about it, if so.

I have sort of a very vague recollection of one of these showing up unmarked on ebay or one of the sites and stirring up a lot of excitement when it was identified. I think that's happened a couple of times now over the past few years.

Pretty cool piece of history:
GTpedalsReadyweb.jpg

post-87-1120266489.jpg

• Like 1

That GT jersey thread got me poking through my photo archives and thinking about GT in general.

Check out this Pedals Ready GT.

Would someone like to take a crack at summarizing the early history of the company and discussing the first GT made bikes? I'd welcome that. Gary Turner, Rich Long, Bill Hemmrick... it seems like the basic outline of the story is well known, but it'd be cool to get more in depth about design, fabrication, inspiration... how it all came together.

In any case.... does anyone here have one of these in their collection? Please post a photo and tell us about it, if so.

I have sort of a very vague recollection of one of these showing up unmarked on ebay or one of the sites and stirring up a lot of excitement when it was identified. I think that's happened a couple of times now over the past few years.

Pretty cool piece of history:

GTpedalsReadyweb.jpg

Steve,

Here we go! :Liv2ride:

Ronnie Ames replica was the short frame..... Dennis Dain replica was the long frame....

Most of the JMC team were riding these frames prior to the first JMC frames being produced.

When I first got my JMC #5, I used my blue Pedals Ready GT for my practice bike. JMC geometry was very similar to the pedals Ready.

I think I remember them being offered in metallic blue, rootbeer brown and chrome.....

I've seen a few magazine shots of Harry on a Dain replica. I'll see if I can dig 'em up....

I'm always on the look out for one for my collection.... I've only known of 4 in the last 10 years.

Adam :cheers:

• Like 1

thanks... I was going to mention the JMC connection too... what year(s) approx. would JMC riders have been on a Pedals Ready? I will have to look through my oldest JMC pics to see if that tell tale seat mast and dropout config is visible.

Also, which track was it that had the pedals ready pro-shop? I can't remember.

thanks... I was going to mention the JMC connection too... what year(s) approx. would JMC riders have been on a Pedals Ready? I will have to look through my oldest JMC pics to see if that tell tale seat mast and dropout config is visible.

Gary Turner was the guy behind the design of the Pedals Ready GT.

Gary Turner was not involved or connected with JMC and JMC was connected with Gary Turner...

It would have been '76 to early '77 that you would have seen JMC riders on Pedals Ready frames....

I'm pretty sure Harry's Pedals Ready was chrome. That is a give away in photos, because all JMC factory team rider JMC frames were White in the begining and I don't think we produced a chrome frame until '80.

Now that I think about it I don't remember any factory team rider on a non white frame until Kim Jarboe in '80 on his black signiture frame, the "Black Shadow"... after that, factory riders were on chrome, red, etc.

hmmm... see I never knew the black shadow was Jarboe's signature frame. Cool info.

hmmm... see I never knew the black shadow was Jarboe's signature frame. Cool info.

Black Shadow and Shadow frames are std. long frames with a steeper head angle.... The brain child of Denny Davidow.... Built by Jim for Kim Jarboe.

Black Shadow and Shadow frames are easily identified with the letter designation "K" before the serial #..... I never asked Jim if he chose the letter "K" because of Kim's name.... but if he didn't, it's a strange coincidence....

Wow Adam. That's a awesome piece of trivia right there. I enjoy it when I can come to a thread and learn something completely new. Thanks for sharing.

I had a Pedals Ready frame quite a while back. Ed Porter ended up with it. I don't know where it went from there. It was built up with Campy Strada cranks first gen tuf neck and Araya 7bs when I got it. If I knew then what I now I would have never sold that frame to Ed. It was cracked at the seat post but he had it repaired flawlessly. Back then there wasn't anyone specializing in frame repair. I think he got an offroad shop to do it. I wish I had some pictures of it.

HEY LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN THE GARAGE

kevin,

I think yours is the later CYC version with a shorter seat mast????

Yours was the last one I've physically seen with my own eyes. I think it was at Del Mar '04....

Let me know if you ever want to let it go.....

Adam :cheers:

The Ames Stormer version was being advertised and available -as late as- mid 1980, well after Gary Turner had ventured out on his own and GT BMX was already established.

Though then GT was still a small venture w/quarter sized black and white ads, compared to what was then the full color 2 page spread ad corporate giant, CYC.

CYC_AMES.jpg

ADAM,

gary has seen it .. he said someone cut the post looks like it too..he wanted it bad too .. I gave him craigs(his son) protoype frame that I won off ebay ser # ct004 (craig turner) almost looked like the PR GT BMX..

i still have a couple of early gt's

DCP04541.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, Kevin, I had no idea you have so much stuff. So many GTs.

BITD, I totally dug the Ames Stormer, but I never saw one and kinda had the feeling CYCs were junky. Didn't have any in Ohio.

I'd love an Ames now, or an early GT. Although I'm not much of a GT fan, the early stuff is really cool to me.

I hit up Mr. Red Baron to see if he could add some info to this thread...

According to Dennis, there were only 5 Dain replicas made. John Severin helped Gary out with the welding of these. Dennis's personal ride was stolen in '76. The other 4's whereabouts are unknown, if they are still around.

He also passed along these two images -- the first is a WSA/Pedals Ready Pro Shop ad, and the 2nd is Dennis's personal Dain Replica from BITD.

pedals_ready_ad.jpg

img543.jpg

"freewheel is trick... everybody rides a freewheel" :Liv2ride:

Thanks Dennis & Lee.

The "Freewheel is Trick, Everybody rides a freewheel" is funny in regard to the Dain replica as Dennis rode a Bendix red band up through Redline. I think he was one of the hold outs on freewheels.

The "Freewheel is Trick, Everybody rides a freewheel" is funny in regard to the Dain replica as Dennis rode a Bendix red band up through Redline. I think he was one of the hold outs on freewheels.

Dennis was OLD SCHOOL way before it was cool!!!!

He was always alittle slow to catch up with the times.....

not only were his brakes oldschol back in the day, you should have seen what he was driving to the track back in the day!!!!

Dennis!!! please tell me you have some photos to post of the BEAST!!!

Adam

garyturner.jpg

spicoli ,

i have one that looks just like that .what is the tt length ? that has a euro bb correct ? where is the sn and about how many numbers does it have ? thanks ,

donnie

p.s. i love this thread !

Edited by 1966bmx

Not my bike "wish it was", I've been holding on to the pic for years though, man I love that bike ! That bike "was" Tims...

Gotta luv dem early PR/ GTs !

That was a sweet bike, Tim had there.

So... in an attempt to get more clarity, can anyone shed some light on the whole CYC Ames Stormer angle as it may or may not relate to this Pedal Power GT . Was that CYC made in the USA, if so by who?

As Marcos' post showed that CYC stormer ad... and points out that were obviously a way bigger company dealing with a much bigger advertising budget than GT was at that particular period, but the bike was real similar to the PR GT... so what's the skinny?