Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

Earliest GT's... Pedals Ready, CYC AMES connection, the mono... all of that

Not my bike "wish it was", I've been holding on to the pic for years though, man I love that bike ! That bike "was" Tims...

Gotta luv dem early PR/ GTs !

cool man . thanks for the reply . and hell yeah you gotta love the early PR/GTs

i tried to get that one on cl boston last week

no reply....

That GT jersey thread got me poking through my photo archives and thinking about GT in general.

Check out this Pedals Ready GT.

Would someone like to take a crack at summarizing the early history of the company and discussing the first GT made bikes? I'd welcome that. Gary Turner, Rich Long, Bill Hemmrick... it seems like the basic outline of the story is well known, but it'd be cool to get more in depth about design, fabrication, inspiration... how it all came together.

In any case.... does anyone here have one of these in their collection? Please post a photo and tell us about it, if so.

I have sort of a very vague recollection of one of these showing up unmarked on ebay or one of the sites and stirring up a lot of excitement when it was identified. I think that's happened a couple of times now over the past few years.

Pretty cool piece of history:

GTpedalsReadyweb.jpg

nice can anybody tell me what seat stays say?

That GT jersey thread got me poking through my photo archives and thinking about GT in general.

Check out this Pedals Ready GT.

Would someone like to take a crack at summarizing the early history of the company and discussing the first GT made bikes? I'd welcome that. Gary Turner, Rich Long, Bill Hemmrick... it seems like the basic outline of the story is well known, but it'd be cool to get more in depth about design, fabrication, inspiration... how it all came together.

In any case.... does anyone here have one of these in their collection? Please post a photo and tell us about it, if so.

I have sort of a very vague recollection of one of these showing up unmarked on ebay or one of the sites and stirring up a lot of excitement when it was identified. I think that's happened a couple of times now over the past few years.

Pretty cool piece of history:

GTpedalsReadyweb.jpg

nice can anybody tell me what seat stays say?

"Ames Replica"

That was a sweet bike, Tim had there.

So... in an attempt to get more clarity, can anyone shed some light on the whole CYC Ames Stormer angle as it may or may not relate to this Pedal Power GT . Was that CYC made in the USA, if so by whom?

As Marcos' post showed that CYC stormer ad... and points out that were obviously a way bigger company dealing with a much bigger advertising budget than GT was at that particular period, but the bike was real similar to the PR GT... so what's the skinny?

From what I understand there was quite a lot of fast dealing going on with the Pedals Ready GT frame bitd. There are others around here who could better illuminate everyone on the details but I do know that CYC purchased the rights to the PRGT which would explain the similarity to the Ames Stormer. I don't know if CYC had an OEM or if they manufactured everything in-house after the purchase.

This might have been Jeff’s (mrraceinc) Pedals Ready GT at one time. It was purchased from Ed Porter years ago and the seat mast was cut at some point. The finish was restored to match what was left of the original blue.

DSCN56542.JPG

anybody know how long the seat tube is above the top tube looks to be 4-5 inches

anybody know how long the seat tube is above the top tube looks to be 4-5 inches

Using the PR ad as a guide I would place the original seat mast measurement somewhere between old JMC's and R&R's, 3 1/2" to 5".

John Begin on a PR circa 1975. Jim Melton said this frame was brown with yellow PR downtube decals.

1975JohnBegin.jpg

Dennis "Red Baron" Dain moving on his PR. By the look on his face the bike handled poorly.

img640.jpg

Using the PR ad as a guide I would place the original seat mast measurement somewhere between old JMC's and R&R's, 3 1/2" to 5".

John Begin on a PR circa 1975. Jim Melton said this frame was brown with yellow PR downtube decals.

1975JohnBegin.jpg

That is John Begin attempting to perform a jump that Harry Leary made famous.

This shot is off the last jump during practice at Covina Valley BMX track.

John had the best of the best back then... Cook Brothers mini fork, gold araya 7B's laced to low flange Campagnolo Record hubs with 60/80 bouble butted spokes, Campagnolo cranks, Teledyne Ti spindle, FMF Gold bars, unicanitor seat, etc. He's still running his 1.75 chen shins, he was one of the last of us younger kids to change over to the Raleigh red dots.

Jason,

I had a blue PR Ames replica like yours bitd. with yellow decals. I can't find a single pic of it. I went from riding a "race 1" or (race inc.) to the PR just before the JMC frames were produced. It immediately became my practice bike as the geometry was very close to the same. They handled better than most at the time. They were excellent for smaller riders.

Cyco,

As for the seat tube length protruding above the top tube, they were long! Many smaller kids had them cut down. I seem to remember being able to put a JMC headtube sticker in that spot, so with a seat post clamp that would make it approx. 4 3/4 inches. My #5 production JMC (short) is 2 1/2 inches and my #21 production (long) is 3 3/4. my R&R #0377010 is 5 1/8 inches...

Harry Leary on his Dain replica, '77 Grand nationals

Harry_Leary_on_a_Dain_replica.jpg

Harry on his Dain replica, FMF ad

Harry_FMF_ad.jpg

John Begin on his Ames replica, '77 San Diego Sports Digest Open (Rancho) Check out the rear sew up!!!

Begin_Ranho_77_sew_up.jpg

John Begin on his Ames replica '77 Irwindale drags

Begin_Irwindale_77.jpg

Steve West on his Ames replica, '77 Magnavox Race Odyssey (Corona)

Steve_West_Corona.jpg

Begin_77_super_nats.jpg

Cool scans, Jason. Thanks.

Jason you mean a blue frame like this one??

I have an nos frame and decals, I even have the correct FRECCIAD'ORO SEAT... Slowly gathering parts over the years to recreate it...

I use to run the James Melton Cyclery seat tube decal, Harry ran the JM Special down tube decal. My dad would get pissed if I had too many stickers on my bike, he said it added weight.... Look what he did to my number plate!

76_bmx.jpg

I can't see anything through the thicket of trophies.

No that's the frame alright. Great pic! I'm building one of those from an historical perspective. You're building one from memory, respects. Have fun and nice work finding a NOS! frame.

bump for the sake of the discussion in the other Pedal's Ready GT thread that Perry started.

I really have enjoyed the info in this thread. thanks guys

I have an early Gt not a PR by any means but no serial # any ideas as to the year of production.

Edited by hondo20
  • Like 1

I really have enjoyed the info in this thread. thanks guys

I have an early Gt not a PR by any means but no serial # any ideas as to the year of production.

You should post photos of your frame either here or a new thread.

PRGT ad from mid 1976. The built-in seatpost is interesting to say the least, also note how the drops have an angled top edge instead of the usual box. The seat tube looks to be 7/8" as well.

PRGT BXBW 070276.JPG

Received this unexpected gift from a friend for Christmas. For real old school joy of an 8 year old on xmas morning when I opened it.

DSCN5990.jpg

• Like 1

PRGT ad from mid 1976. The built-in seatpost is interesting to say the least, also note how the drops have an angled top edge instead of the usual box. The seat tube looks to be 7/8" as well.

PRGT BXBW 070276.JPG

Received this unexpected gift from a friend for Christmas. For real old school joy of an 8 year old on xmas morning when I opened it.

DSCN5990.jpg

Wow!!! That is a blast from the past! The PRGT Pro Shop was located at Western Sports-O-rama. Snack bar/ bike shop at the track.

• Like 2

Those are later dropouts.

I'm going to stick my head out and say that isn't a 1977. That is more like a 1980/81

this is a great thread. thanks for all of the info.

Those are later dropouts.

I'm going to stick my head out and say that isn't a 1977. That is more like a 1980/81

That can't be an 80/81 with that serial number. 80's had the serial numbers on the dropout