Sign in to follow this  
Clothespin'n

Powerlite serial number's ?????????

I used to know how to ID them, and I know it's an easy one!!!

I have an Early Powerlite

No Gusset

Butterfly rear Brake Bridge

the serial number is stamped on the rear brake bridge

I wanna clean this Frame and fork up..and sell it..

...but i think I better know WTF I have first

:blink: :lol: :blink: :lol:

I thought( if memory serves me correct ) that it's an 82

???????????????????

BUT, I want a definate answer....from a Pro

=============================

Thanks in advance for the help,

peace,

Kev.

Sorry Kev, I'm not a "pro"....but, My 24" Pro model has 01226 on the brake bridge and I always thought it was a 1981. Then a "pro" said they didn't make the regular 24" Pro till '83....?.....so I have no idea either.

He said the 24 3 bar came out first, then the 24 Pro later in '83. I wish I knew the right answer also.

Seems like Jim Melton-JMC is the only one who took the time to document everything and KEEP it for all these years!

As they say...."If we knew we were making history back then, we would have paid more attention to the details!!"

:blink:

I don't know the mystery of the serials, some of mine look weird like the year is in the middle but that doesn't make any sense.

The April 83 BMX PLUS! Has a full page ad that has the 20 pro featured with, "Check out the new Pro 24".

It is also featured in the April 83 ABA action with photos of all the 20 inch line.

If memory serves, it went 26 beach, then 24 beach/racer, and then the really race Pro 24.

The two 24s are really different.

Also 83 still had white letters, with a black shadow. Even though the new ones with the red shadow and little lines were out.

Tommy had them,(the red ones with the little lines through the logo) but they were still using the old stickies, or the frames were last years stock.

So right around 83 you might see a decal change.

A.G.

The earlier Powerlites had a serial number on the rear dropout. One of my 26" 3 bars is #0 11 26 It is on the left rear dropout. I wish I knew how to decipher it. I was told from the guy I got it from it was a '79.

Maybe it's really an '80? The first digit is the year, and the second is the 11th frame produced that year and the 26 is the size. That's a complete guess on my part, but it makes sense. I don't have my early gusseted 20" P-lite anymore to check the numbering. I know there's some floating around here. Todzilla?

Kevin, yours could be an '82, 381st frame off the assembly line. Or maybe it's an '81? I know, I'm no help whatsoever. Someone's gotta have a definitive answer.

Mine is a Chrome 20"

WHITE letters with Black Shadow around letters.

this may help ???

thanks for jumping in guys,

anyone else ????

Kev.

Soo...maybe '83 is when the Pro 24" came out....well that doesn't help the serial # thing any more!! :lol:

"The April 83 BMX PLUS! Has a full page ad that has the 20 pro featured with, "Check out the new Pro 24".

^^^^ Anybody have an extra mag?......^^^^ Or maybe a scan of this ad? :)

Sorry Kev.....still no good to ya!! :blink:

my 26 3 bar has 01368 on the dropout and 0 4 103 on the bottom bracket they are spaced out.

og paint and stickers. #'s are under the paint.

white stickers without shadow.

rear dropouts are different. they are like the later pro 24's

powerlite001.jpg

Soo...maybe '83 is when the Pro 24" came out....well that doesn't help the serial # thing any more!! :lol:

"The April 83 BMX PLUS! Has a full page ad that has the 20 pro featured with, "Check out the new Pro 24".

^^^^ Anybody have an extra mag?......^^^^ Or maybe a scan of this ad? :)

Sorry Kev.....still no good to ya!! :blink:

I can have my techie chick scan it and I will post in this thread.

Wish I knew the answer, just trying to kick in what I could.

The stickers were one thing I could remember, and have photos of.

A.G.

Surprised this hasn’t been answered yet.  Somebody here has to know.  

Mark Rink posted elsewhere in a google search that the 70s-late 80s Powerlite serial numbers meant absolutely nothing. The random numbers.

Screenshot_20191020-213529_Chrome.jpg