Sign in to follow this  
3rdgear

What was your first build when you got back into it?

I had bikes all my life, even before I started collecting I had 3 or 4 bikes. This is my first REAL build when I go into true collecting. Post pics of your first.

Toby Hendersons MCS made Proto type XL24

loose_photos_037.jpg

loose_photos_159.jpg

loose_photos_160.jpg

I don't have a picture here at the office but my first build back into the collecting world was an early 90's Floval. I still love the way that bike rides.

Tony

built this back when you could get really good stuff fairly cheap compaired to nowpkripnew.JPG

For me it has been more about.. re-building rather then parts based builds.

Ie. I have tried to get fairly complete bikes and re do everything..

IE, take them all apart, degrease, repack, recable, polish chrome, oxy baths exc.

I guess the first one I found after getting back into it was a...

1996? GT Interceptor. Has some sweet parts on it. Peregirne HP Super Pros, and Black widow Cranks..

Come to think of it I have not yet ran across a good (ie. non complete) OS frame/fork set yet. Although I stick to yardsales, thrift stores exc.

As of today I only have one regret, not buying that storage unit that had a Chrome BMX in it. I have no idea what it was.. (It was right before I got back "into It" but it still remains illusive to me for some reason..) Everything Else I have built, traded, gave away exc..

I hit the bay for the little stuff.

Edited by soldmine

Always had my loop PK Ripper....but after joining here, seeing Don's (Seadooit) Phaze 1...

i had to get one for myself!!!!!

here is what it looked like first.............. :Sux: :hurl:

DSCF0035.jpg

and now!

c50c39a7.jpg

Here's mine. It started with my Profile 2nd gen cranks that I had from when I was 12 or 13. The parts are as follows:

PROFILE Champ Pro F/F OG chrome repop decals

PROFILE 2nd Gen cranks (rechromed) no drain holes and has the lip for the spider 130 Spider

PROFILE early EXPERT bars Rechromed but retains the OB decals

PROFILE repop chrome pads

NOS Tange LP 125 Headset BLUE

NOS Dirt Skirt GOLD

NOS LP 440 Lock Nut GOLD

Used ESP stem

NOS OAKLEY B-1B's BLUE/YELLOW

NOS Dia Compe MX-1000's F/R BLUE

NOS SKYWAY Pro pads

Used Shimano DX seat Pillar

NOS SHOT GUN II in BLUE (on its way)

NOS Dia Compe hinged clamp

NOS PPP 44t Chainring

NOS gold Chainring bolts

NOS IZUMI chain

Showmounted KKT LMX Magnesium pedals

NOS rainbow label Comp 3's (I ride it)

NOS Chrome Araya 7x's

New Bullseye Hubs Gold/polished

NOS UNION BERG double butted spokes in BLUE

NOS Shimano 16t chrome freewheel

Hope you guys enjoy as much as I did building...I am sure some parts may be swapped when I acquire more approprite ones.

Scott

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Well, according to the the prevailing definition of "real" here, I have yet to build one.

But, this was my first build after getting back into BMX, not neccesarily "collecting' it. Collecting just became a by-product of wanting to ride again.

11-15-05-05.jpg

The F/F are now the main part my daughter's mixed era bike. If I had to do it over again, I would build it closer to the way I had mine BITD. The only thing I'd have to change would be the drive train, and metal flange Tuffs.

If I ever decide to build another OS rig for myself, it will definetly be a replica of one of the bikes I owned BITD.

First thing I did was clean up both my survivor geese! Then a bike for my son to ride.

2008_04_20_008.JPG

2008_04_20_012.JPG

2007_09_08_006.JPG

Like Brett, I've always had many bikes. Pretty much never quit the BMX racing scene and I'm still at it to this day. Heck, I even work for ABA LOL!

Anyway, this was the bike that made the light bulb go off in my head about old bikes. This shot is from Hawaii when I lived there 1989. It was a bike my buddy was going to throw a way. He was in a band and had written his BMX days off and was cleaning out his garage. I took it out of the garbage and he siad I couldn't have it. I asked why and he said he was thinking about keeping it unless I wanted to buy it for $20. LOL...... $20 later here it sat in my work room at my house. I just thought it would be cool to take it back to my bike shop I worked at and clean it up as kind of a joke. We had all kinds of OS-shit back then. We use to blow out 26 X 1.75 Comp III in the bargain bin for $5 a tire!! We even took old KOS cruiser frame sets and made the into "Mountain Bikes" with a 5-speed cluster on the rear. LOL!!! Heck I remember ordering "Blow out Sale" Redline PL24's from Seattle Bike Supply for like $49 a frame set. they only had Black thought. Made soome of them into "Mountain Bikes" too! Remember there are alot of smaller people in Hawaii so it made sense. hehehehehe.... Any way, here's the first "official" OS ride that got me on the hook.

hawaii21.jpg

First thing I did was clean up both my survivor geese! Then a bike for my son to ride.

Perfect form on the little guy. :bravo:

I sold my Kuwahara KZ1 and 1982 GT 24 when I quit racing at Easter 1985. While I never really missed the Kuwahara (I lost interest in 20's when I started racing cruisers), I always regretted selling the GT 24. That bike always felt perfect to me.

Fast forward to August 2004, and after discovering these sites, and all the crazy ( :) ) people like us getting back into it, I placed a wanted ad for a 1982 GT 24. Someone responded, and I bought it. It went from there. While I stiffed on the deal (so much for "big players" :P ), I dont regret it, as this is how it turned out in the end.

It is undergoing a (small) facelift at the moment.

GT24-1.JPG

Jag sticktail ( aka Paul Gossrau edition ). I agree with Grubbs, the worst riding bikes ever. I so wanted this frameset as a youth and cannot tell you how disappointed I was when I actually rode this thing.

jag.jpg

I always wanted a Hutch cruiser :) I got this NOS frame set on ebay in 2002 I didn't know they were made in tiawan until I saw it on the box :(

IM000542.JPG

These two are the first ones I tried pretty hard to do a good job on...

DSC06227.jpg

DSC06269.jpg

GetAttachment-7aspx.jpg

GetAttachment-9aspx.jpg

My first one was the GHP.

I always wanted one BITD and I though they were cool - tracked the f/f set down on ebay and went for it.

Has undergone many changes over the years since these pics but here it is 'first built'.

PS: at the time I passed over a lot of stuff fully-built Hutch Pro Racer with aside the Hutch goodies (aside from Areospeeds) for $600.

F1010004.jpg

F1000001.jpg

F1000004.jpg

F1000014.jpg

F1000024.jpg

My Ripper which i put together in 03 as i'd decided it was not a good idea to continue riding my Skyway TA for various reasons that came to a head one evening as i approached a jump and my bars and stem came out of the forks, it could have been a lot messier than it was thank God.

DSCF1541.jpg

I think it was christmas time 03, I was buying my kids some new bikes at Wal-Mart so I decided to pick up a Wal Goose KO for myself...soon I started watching ebay for a RL20 II, and I won a nice 86 but never received it and was refunded my money. Soon after I found my NOS white 99 alloy Quad, so thats my 1st build I guess...a few months later I built a 88 rl20 II, I then officially had the sickness...QA.jpgwhiterl20II027.jpg

My 84 Profile that I bought new...in yes 84 was my first venture back after about 10 years...

In about 1998, I decided it need some attention, and man did I get it wrong!!!! Had all the tatty chrome, powder coated by a pool fencing guy...WTF was I thinking check the colour...

My poor bike....I'm pretty embrassed to show it...

Profilebefore.jpg

In about 2004, I decided I had to rectify the situation and started the 2 year rebuild to bring it back to it's original state....

Front-2.jpg

Padded-to-Race-2.jpg

About 20 bikes later (replicating all the different bikes I had as a kid),I think I've had my fix....

wow... looks so good with it back in black - a good story / cautionary tale that hopefully someone can learn from too.

For me, it was a 1992 PK Ripper XL. I saw a pic somewhere of a PK, got on Ebay, typed in PK Ripper and up popped this frame and fork. I had always wanted one but never owned one, so it didn't even matter that it wasn't a looptail. Wish I'd have kept this one. This is where it all started for me.

92PKxl_1.jpg