Sign in to follow this  
OLDSKOOLPK

MCS stems!

I am in the process of maybe using one of these on a new build.....

I have seen 4 and 6 bolt stems, all one color, 2 colors (base is silver, cap is red/blue/black etc)

what year did the 4 bolts come out (what i have)??? I see in the parts forum that the 6 bolt were early 80's. Also were these available in mini, standard, XL? The one i have is Tiny compared to what i have seen on here and at Smokin Endo's MAN CAVE!!! ... (thanks Brian for picking that out and making me think :lol: !)

any info...pics of what you have???

LMK guys!!! Im curious and confused! :blink:

LMK guys!!! Im curious and confused! blink.gif

are you coming out !! :)

The 6 bolt stems are late 70's - early 1981, as are the MINI 4 bolt stems... the FULL size 4 bolts stem came out in early 1981... the MCS stem was known as the "ZF" stem for Zero Failure...

MCS ad from July 1981, introducing new 4 bolt Pro size stem

MCSad2.jpg

Yup!!! Whatcha thinkin on a year Brett????? its on my Pistol Pete (for now) too late for a 1983 build?????

Those curved front stems are later, mid- late 80's. Not sure when they changed them from the more squared off early style ones...

and those later stems did come in a longer reach version, too...

what's the going rate for one like andy has?

i just picked one up and was wondering.

here's mine:

new_ta_clouds_004.JPG

They are all over the place price wise- I've seen them bring up to $250 for clean, early colored ones, as low as $50- $75 for later silver ones.

Eddy King ran a 6 bolt MCS stem on his Torker, while on Torker factory team, befoe the invention of the Torker stem.

It was the stem he really liked at the time.

There was a Torker ad that ran with a complete bike that had an MCS stem on it too.

Eddy King ran a 6 bolt MCS stem on his Torker, while on Torker factory team, befoe the invention of the Torker stem.

It was the stem he really liked at the time.

There was a Torker ad that ran with a complete bike that had an MCS stem on it too.

+1 on that.

I've been looking for a gold, 6-bolt for a long time for my 1979 Torker. Keep losing them on eBay. Torker spec'd them on the early 1979 Torkflytes and Maxflytes. The Torker stem came out in mid-1979 and has the same reach as the MCS stem--1/4" shorter than Tuf-Necks.

Generally, the prices on MCS stems are much lower than Tuf-Necks and Torker stems, but not super low.

My first alloy/chromo stem was a red MCS 6-bolt. I think I left it in my grandma's garage when I got my Torker stem for my birthday in 1980. After she passed away, I think it landed in my cousin's hands. (His parents cleaned out her garage. I've already found my G.I. Joes and other toys at his house. His mom thought they were his. But when I said, wow, where'd you get my G.I. Joes? he gave them back to me.) I have no recollection at all what i did with it, but he said he has one in his attic somewhere. I know it wasn't his because he was a lot smarter with his $ BITD and once he built his bike he never changed a thing. He was a Tuf-Neck guy.

thought I had already posted this ad from 82, must have been another thread. Here it is again just for the record. I'll see what I else I can find.

MCS_frontload_ad1982.jpg

I got my first MCS 6 Bolt around '78. I remember the fluted alloy bars twisting around in it, but the stem never slipped.

This is a freestyle stem, and not such a great pic, but we'll add it to the thread all the same.

This is from the May 1986 Product Guide in BMXaction

MCSstylerStem.May86bmxa.jpg

Yo Jon... PeeP this.

I am the original owner and bought it back in 82. I have never seen another 4bolt like it. I wouldn't consider it a mini. I raced with it on my pk for years. It's home on my pl24 now.

Let me know if anybody has seen another with the drilled out cap.

mcs001.jpg

mcs002.jpg

I wanna see that Floval in the background......looks HOT.

I wanna see that Floval in the background......looks HOT.

In time my man. It still needs wheels. I gonna try to have my collection posted up here in a few weeks.

Yours is like this one.

I bought a complete Mcs turbo spider survivor that was built by a bike shop owner for his grandson. After getting into a heap of trouble a few years later ,grandpa took his bike and stored it away. He claimed it was built in 1981 and it came with the same stem. There is always some overlap. Between when the ads come out in the mags and when the actual product is available to the dealers. Some dealers had a bit more privileges and could get their hands on product before others

I had the same red with the drilled out center on my bike bitd. I just bought a chrome one with the drilled out center off of someone on the museum. Yours and mine are the only ones I have seen. It does not look like a mini. I will have to compare it to some of my others.

Bump!

Is this stem considered a mini stem or just a later generation stem. I have seen this style listed on eBay as a mini...then seen a larger face and base listed as a Pro. They both have the same decal stating MCS BMX Components and not the earlier decal with the Deerfield Beach decal or just the MCS logo. Any help is greatly appreciated.

received_10206540058092696.jpeg

received_10206540057532682.jpeg

Big Face, Larger base

Screenshot_2015-08-11-02-56-13~2.png

Screenshot_2015-08-11-02-56-08~2.png

Edited by OLDSKOOLPK

I got one too and was never sure about that either. Don't think that they're a mini stem though.