Sign in to follow this  
mcam

NORA Cup winners

Does anyone have a list of the BMXA Nora Cup winners, for Bike, Rider and Team, for the years 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985?

I'm curious to see them,

There were no cup winners in 1983.

In 1982 NORA voting occured in 1982 and the award was presented in 1983 as a 1982 NORA Cup award.

In 1983 NORA voting occurred in 1983 and the award was presented in 1984 as a 1984 NORA Cup Award.

It allowed the manufacturers to properly market the Award with the correlating years products. This eliminated the type of confusion that happens when a 1983 GT frame carries a 1982 NORA Cup decal.

There were no cup winners in 1983.

In 1982 NORA voting occured in 1982 and the award was presented in 1983 as a 1982 NORA Cup award.

In 1983 NORA voting occurred in 1983 and the award was presented in 1984 as a 1984 NORA Cup Award.

It allowed the manufacturers to properly market the Award with the correlating years products. This eliminated the type of confusion that happens when a 1983 GT frame carries a 1982 NORA Cup decal.

Thanks for the info Greg. So there is no such thing as a "Nora Cup Decal" with 1983 on it? I've seen the 1982 one (on the GT) and a 1984 one (that was incorrectly applied to my 1983 GT Expert). I've got someone telling me that GT won the award in 1982, 1983 and 1984... ?

Hutch won bike in 84 and 85.Diamond Back won team in 82, (83) 84 I think.Check GT press ads from 1984 - you'll see an 84 GT frame with a NORA decal on it...

I know you didn't ask about this, Mike, but here's some early info...

First of all... I've seen people ask about the meaning of "NORA".

Most people aren't aware that it means Number One Racer Award. And that's one that will be in the deck of the Old School BMX Trivial Pursuit that I'm working on with Milton Bradley. So remember that. :wink:

NORA1979STU_january80bmxa.jpg

Nora79results_Jan80bmxa.jpg

79Nora_August79bmxa.jpg

Ok... I find the history of the Nora interesting, not least because it is still going strong in modern bmx, the tradition having been picked up by Ride BMX magazine.

So, anyway... I'd like to see the scope of this thread expand a bit to encompass the entire life span of the Nora awards.

Getting back to a treatment of the earliest days...

Here is what I believe to be the first NORA, and it seems like the name NORA hadn't quite stuck yet.

NORA_1_BobbyEncinas.jpg

Here's the first page from the 82 NORA Cup ballot, with a nice overview of winning rider and team history, up to that year.

NoraCup82_ballotissue.jpg

I still haven't found a table of winners for best rider, bike and team for the late 70's/early 80's :(

I couldn't find anything on the web :(

Here's the first page from the 82 NORA Cup ballot, with a nice overview of winning rider and team history, up to that year.

I know where that 82 cup lives ..... :)

IMG_7375.JPG

• Like 1

I know where that 82 cup lives ..... :)

ARRRGGGHHHH... The cabinet! The cabinet! :)

You know Jeff, one morning you will wake up, and go in there, and find me camped out... I swear..LOL

That Nora cup is sweet..... :ThumbsUp:

In reference to the 1983 built GT framesets and completes and their respective NORA decals....

From what I have gathered during my short time as a collector :lol: , most of the '83 production GT's had the Nora 1982 decals applied but at some point in mid/late 1983 GT shipped them with the Nora 1983 decals and continued the practice into 1984. One would think that from a marketing/sales perspective this award meant a bunch and GT probably continued to flaunt it as long as possible. Nowadays, these original "Nora 1983" decaled frames/bikes don't seem to show up much...but they're out there. At one point a few years ago I owned a late '83 GT Pro frameset w/ these same decals ...from what I remember it was built sometime in Nov or Dec of the year. I still have another Aug. '83 GT here and it sports original Nora '82 decals.

A few other examples:

Greg Hill, Waterford Oaks/Summer 1983 (Oct. '83 BMXA). Check the Nora '83 decal...

gh.bmxa.10.83.jpg

Jan '84 BMXA ad

gt.ad.bmxa1.84.jpg

April '84 BMXA ad

gt.ad.bmxa4.84.jpg

June '84 BMXA ad (again, Nora '83 decal on seat tube...)

gt.ad.bmxa.6.84.jpg

:dance:

From May 1982 BMXaction

NoraAnnounce.May82.png

I wonder If Bob O told GT they were allowed to carry over the NORA award to 1983, since they were not going to award an 83. Maybe only a few were stickered with the 83 NORA, until GT was told they couldn't?

I still have this one :rawks:

nora_cup_decal1.jpg

NORA_CUP_decal.jpg

Edited by racerbvd

What? The decal?

What? The decal?

Tool box with decals :wow:

What? The decal?

Right...

Ok...

: Detects change of thread topic :

What? The decal?

Right...

Ok...

: Detects change of thread topic :

No, it had been so long since I looked at the box that I forgot it said Vote Greg Hill instead of NORA cup winner, age is catching up tp me, sorry about that :bored: