Sign in to follow this  
rankinken

ABA Chandler Winter Nationals 1982

You are the MAN!! Those are friggin' Cool!!!! :rawks:

That is so cool you chimed in. Hearing all the names is great! I remember racing with Mike and also Vann Argiros bitd. Thanks for the pics and hope to see more!

I had a whole bunch from that turn, the year before. Rode a mild steel quad the previous year.

That was a really fast turn down in the hole, and some guys could really catch air coming out of it!

Bob Mendrano really got after it, and if you think about it, probably an underated pro. He went really fast. Guy was an awesome jumper too. I did have an awesome shot of Mendrano jumping out of that hole! He got big air, and crossed up his front wheel pointed at the crowd.

For us guys that did not get to go to the Grands, Chandler was as close as it gets. For us, that was the biggest, most important race to make it to. And if I remember right, the year end awards, or pro Trans Am, was handed out there?

.02 A.G.

I had a whole bunch from that turn, the year before. Rode a mild steel quad the previous year.

That was a really fast turn down in the hole, and some guys could really catch air coming out of it!

Bob Mendrano really got after it, and if you think about it, probably an underated pro. He went really fast. Guy was an awesome jumper too. I did have an awesome shot of Mendrano jumping out of that hole! He got big air, and crossed up his front wheel pointed at the crowd.

For us guys that did not get to go to the Grands, Chandler was as close as it gets. For us, that was the biggest, most important race to make it to. And if I remember right, the year end awards, or pro Trans Am, was handed out there?

.02 A.G.

I Agree that Medrano was one of the best!! The guy had great control and could catch air with the best! It would be cool to see that pic.

I think ABA had an award ceremony that we did not make it to. I wish I could have seen that, but left before the awards.

I still thought that you were ther with us at that race. Were you with Powerlite at that time?

that atwater footage is hot. unfortunately i didn't see myself. i'd put money on it that i was there though! :teary: you're right....its too short....i'm left wanting more!!!!! i remember that track being so damn flat...even for back then.

A.G. ...you're good at identifying guys. i couldn't tell that was john felix or stephan.

great pics rogelio :rawks:

Sweet photos.

How you guys cab see anyone in those movies is beyond me. Amazing.

Had to throw this pic in, one of the only I have and happens to be at Chandler.

gallery_3803_146_130572.png

that atwater footage is hot. unfortunately i didn't see myself. i'd put money on it that i was there though! :teary: you're right....its too short....i'm left wanting more!!!!! i remember that track being so damn flat...even for back then.

A.G. ...you're good at identifying guys. i couldn't tell that was john felix or stephan.

great pics rogelio :rawks:

Truly,

Are you gonna be at Peck on the 6th? If so, it would be cool to talk about the old days!!

yes i'll be there....we'll talk for sure.

I still thought that you were ther with us at that race. Were you with Powerlite at that time?

I was there, hey, think I just picked Joe Stam out of another pic, he is shadowing the Schwinn rider 120. Medrano is riding feet up in his photo, check out how many other legs are sticking out.

Its funny, I have a huge skull. Stuck with that Ferragamo/pro tec because the first layer of foam was gone, and it fit! It finally had to go, too nerdy. The next year, I was riding Powerlite. Note In the Liggins photo, we are chasing somebody else, there is a rider almost out of the frame on the left!

post_3937_1207616460_thumb.jpg

Andy_bmx4.jpg

Cal 10, I think I may be on the outside of one of those moto's. I love the shot of Bart McDanials winning in the first turn. It's the first place I saw a palm tree in person. I would try to stay an extra week just to suck it up.

does anybody know who the ralph's rider in this pic is?

scan0003.jpg

Cal 10, I think I may be on the outside of one of those moto's. I love the shot of Bart McDanials winning in the first turn. It's the first place I saw a palm tree in person. I would try to stay an extra week just to suck it up.

I wanted to say that I thought it was you, but I couldn't remember for sure (as I am gettin' OLD). It is way cool to hear from you. :ThumbsUp: Bart was one of the greats and FAST for sure!!!

It would great if you could make it out to So Cal for the show!

I'm pretty sure I'll make the So Cal and sit in a comfy chair. If you look at the cover of BMXA when Scott Clark is leading I'm tucked in there in 4th or so with my GT jersey on from the same race. And yes Medrano was a brilliant jumper and I considered Bob one of my best friends in the Pro ranks as well as Bart McDaniels. Bart was a genius rider and one pro who I watched what line he was taking in practice. Both should be on the HOF list if they aren't. Bart was the best wet whether rider ever and Bob was just the coolest and we would sit and make fun of each other's music. Bob was a full Metal Head and a I Punk Rock nerd. We would give each other's tunes a try and then just bust on each other. Our trip together to Australia was so cool.

Rambling again but so what. lol

Thanks Stevie, that's the one. I'm in 3rd or 5th depending. I'm ahead of Tinker though. A whole moto of all HOF's. Still shocks me. I love how we all have our legs out MX style.

I've been wanting to put this together for a while. Here is some old super 8 film from the Ame Winternationals in Chandler AZ. I also have some film from a track in Central Cal. (Atwater) that we raced at bitd. I guess it was too much to put it all together, so I'll have to create a part 2 for the Atwater track stuff. Hope this works OK as this is my first attempt at somthing like this.

Here's the link:

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/f18...rFinal_0002.flv

This was the first national i had ever been to. It was 100 degrees by 10:30 am, Beat it, by michael jackson and private eyes by hall & oates were the radio jams and i had jason wharton, jeff moten, and 2 other #1's in my moto! Needless to say i didn't qualify. I believe there were 347 motos. I got this picture clock taken there on the step up.Chandler_82__.jpg

Hey DJ,

That is a Cool Pic!! :ThumbsUp:

That jump was crazy... A tabletop with a speed bump on the back. I think I have a layout of the track from an old mag. I'll try to dig it up.

(BTW) We were both number 6 at that race!!

Hey DJ,

That is a Cool Pic!! :ThumbsUp:

That jump was crazy... A tabletop with a speed bump on the back. I think I have a layout of the track from an old mag. I'll try to dig it up.

(BTW) We were both number 6 at that race!!

I was scared of it, it was the steepest backside ever. i would brake on the top of it and everyone would pass me.

Thread bump for the awesome Chandler footage.

:rawks:

(If memory serves, that wicked jump on the end of the tabletop was removed for 83. There were many crashes off the backside where Mucho is flying. Especially among the younger kids. The parents were pissed! You really could not touch the backside, it was just straight down.)

(I should add, the suck part about crashing right there, is you crashed in a full endo and just splattered right there. The other riders following usually crashed into the other in front already piled up. There is another shot in this string where Andy Patterson jumped the whole thing, but he is struggling to maintain control after landing.) More than .02

This thread is wicked. Thanks for posting that footage. Love the super eight look.

bump

The "step" as we Chandler locals called it, it was redone for 1983, the "bump" was taken down a little, but us locals could just jump the whole thing, most times landing on the backside, sometimes going to fast and landed on the flat after the jump, but if you didn't jump that step, you had no chance to win or even place...