Sign in to follow this  
Smokin_Endo

Mags !

What do you choose and why ?

In 2004 when I ended up back on a bike for the first time in forever it was MAGS MAGS MAGS but after little progression and allot of frustration I quickly found it was time for change. After only one day on a new bike (87 Kuwahara Magician) equipped with 48's I'd realized that the Mags were holding me back tremendously. Never looking back it's been 4 years of 48's preferable in chrome but I'm starting to rethink things....at least to a certain extent.

Two weekends ago my wife and I took a couple of bikes to the Jersey shore for a little romantic get away and during our ride very few people acknowledged or even picked up on the fact that my bike was old, that was until they noticed my wife on the Trick Star with the white Peregrines. This had me wondering... was it the mags ? or maybe more people just recognize the Hutch ? Maybe because it's pink ? When we got home I told Shannon that I was considering a change for the GJS that I was thinking about the black allow flange tuffs dressed with black and white checkered hub caps for our next leisure ride.

I mean if I'm going to the school to practice tricks I will always take my 88 Master with the Super Pro's but for a ride with my wife and kids why not something with mags ?

here are my answers to that question:

a) the mags are heavy

b) decreased stopping power

c) loose ball-bearings

d) the stability of the wheel

the only upside is IMAGE

Do you throw all of this useful information to the wind and compromise performance for appearance ? Is it more stylish to bust out a vintage rig with the entire old school feel/package or do you go for what you know and make sure your ride is fully functioning to it's maximum capacity ?

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about your rider. Your rider is a tool and should be treated as such. Something you can push your self on in an effort to learn.

So how many of you would use mags for say a group ride in order to get:

a) the FULL OLD SCHOOL IMAGE

b) the attention you wholeheartedly believe your scoot deserves (as we all do)

c) bigger thighs from pedaling more :lol:

second question to follow

mags scream old school. especially in bright colors.

I know if I see a bike with mags it is an immediate neck snap lol.

how solid are skyway graphite mags?

im asking since i never owned one.

i read they are more stronger then the regular nylon skyway mags.

I assume the skyway graphite mags dont flex as much as the regular standard

skyway mags.

Brian, I have experienced the same thing.

On the rides / gatherings - I will almost Always bring my Rider Haro Master (with 48's) Just because I like every opportunity to get on my bike and learn something new... and entertain everyone by falling flat on my ass trying to do tricks beyone my skill level. That bike was built with the sole purpose of "Function" - in a flatland / street / ramp environment, but since it's old - it does get the attention to those attuned to old Haro's .. or bright 80's colors.

BUT I will say.. that it never gets the same attention as any of my Mag Bikes from afar....

The Mags just scream of that mid-80's time period.. they were such an Icon of the times.... whether functional or not. :)

You saw my beat up old Street beat with one ACS Z-Mag on the front, and a bunch of junker parts last week. I cruise that bike all over town, and it's always a conversation piece.... Also when I ride with Megan, and she brings the Red Dyno with the White mags and red tires.... it aways grabs people's attention... Even if they have no idea what it is, or when it's from.

Mags definitely Strike a chord visually - for a lot of people.

ride_kuwi_endo1.jpg

I Love riding the old Mags... but Ideally - I'd like to get a Mag rider together that's somehow close to as functional as my Haro (with 48s)... but I just don't see that happening because of the way I need to depend on my brakes for certain tricks... and also the stiffness of the wheels when in rolling tricks or at strange angles...

So my choice to Bring the Mag bike / or / the main freestyle rider

Is usually based on whether I think I'm going to have an opportunity to really get down and RIDE (freestyle)

- Or if I'm just mainly going to Cruise.. I'd choose the Mags.

(I don't care about loose ball guts - I like the excersize... )

Interesting question. Here. :)

We use these bikes in many different ways.. .and purposes.

I feel justified in having at least a few bikes (with different purposes) in my life right now.

----------------- digression ------------

My sole purpose of my commuter bike (... GT Mach one) is to ride fast, stop well (v-brakes) get me to work on time - be able to jump up curbs to avoid cab/bus death... and also look Plain enough to be locked outside for hours with out drawing too much attention - that it might get stolen. I guess you'd say.. that I'd never run mags on my commuter to avoid the attention.

--------------- digression over -------------

I'd love to hear Woody Itson's take on this subject, actually.

He thrived on Spoked wheels in a time where almost everyone was riding mags.

It seems that he understood even in that early era.. the importance of Stiff wheels... hence the Race Lace designed hubs.

welcome back rick :break:

Hey Brian!! I sent you a PM. Cool to be back and hopefully can stay around for a while!!

... and also look Plain enough to be locked outside for hours with out drawing too much attention - that it might get stolen.

you need Joe's burglar alarm for the Police surveillance Van "No Peter it disguises it self to look like two bums fighting over a loaf of bread"

joe.jpg

I myself like you Mr.Endo have always prefer'd mags, I like the look / image and what I call flavor......I have never been great at any form of freestyle, I was decent BITD on ramps, and a few flat tricks, I never ran spokes......

UNTIL, this spring....I rode a torker I picked up with Araya 48's and sealed, then finished my hoffman with P48's, what a difference I noticed right away, stopping, handle'in, weight.......

I spoke with Brian P a little on tuffs and spokes which is why I tried the spokes, I was always afraid of them folding, running flat........

I am now sold on spokes for play.....Mags for looks....

I agree with most here, mags catch the eye......spokes look to be a normal bike....

I must add however, I am putting graphites on my park bike....so I guess I really dont

know and have wated valuable space....make'ing no sence what so ever

i did switch from spokes to tuffs..... i got the brakes dialed for the most part and personally dont mind the weight or flex factor.

i run my tires at 70 psi with them also........

a few people have tried out my bike and didnt seem to mind how they rode.....

i dont do any newer old school rollling tricks and like to mess around with hopping stuff mostly and riding street.

mags for life!

I agree with BP. I had trouble dialing brakes in on the mags to stop my fat ass, but I just even older school and I want to do an endo, I get some help from the curb.

I love ridin' the mags

the brakes are a huge part of the problem with any mag

working brakes

2488222668_600836af02_b.jpg

taking a bit of abuse

1795667494_d1cad41897_b.jpg

i dont not like rims.... and i have no idea riding on them, i even like them better on my racer.... but for my thrasher rider, i prefer tuffs

2488222668_600836af02_b.jpg

Ouch.. You Sprocket Grind - My Head!

:) :P

gotta love those guav Pics :) Great Riding Brian. :)

Yeah Right ! That's a really little guy on a finger bike that looks like you only he's holding Brian in that position

I knew those brakes weren't really working :lol:

I have to go with the mags, love the look and their all I've ever rode.

So, does it come down to tuning? I ran Z's for a very short period of time with ACS Z-pads. Give, I was much lighter back then, but I do remember it taking me a while to get them dialed. After a little work though, I was pulling endos and lawnmowers.

Seemed like mags were very popular in 84-85-ish (and Bob Haro himself ran mags long before this). They worked back then, so they should work now, right?

My next few builds will have front brakes on them, whether they're race builds or freestyle builds. I get jealous watching the boys tool around pulling endos and such when we're out on the group rides. For now they will be rims, but I would definitely like to build a freestyler with mags at some point... and still have it function.

I would tend to agree that tuffs have got to be more for the visual element. I did ride on some when I first got back into this, probably because of the iconic status.

Personally, I still like them on freestylers, but the profusion of sweet rides with spokes kinda made me rethink that.

Hutchhounds Trickstars for example....couldn't even imagine those with tuffs. But the Haros almost demand them.

Mags definitely have the visual factor and look even better in video. Just sums up old school to me, be it race or freestyle. However, as some-one who dislikes adjusting brakes, anything other than a kerb cruiser will probably have rims unless I can find a full time bike mechanic who doesn't need to be paid anything. It's just easier to get half decent braking on alloy rims.

Mags definitely have the visual factor and look even better in video. Just sums up old school to me, be it race or freestyle. However, as some-one who dislikes adjusting brakes, anything other than a kerb cruiser will probably have rims unless I can find a full time bike mechanic who doesn't need to be paid anything. It's just easier to get half decent braking on alloy rims.

Yeah, I pretty much agree..

I LOVE the mag look...

But I just don't know if I could depend my life on them based on the braking power i need for certain tricks -

Get myself into positions like this .... any slippage and you're dead meat.....

ride080908d.jpg

This is my new rider, I built it with a 90's quad frame but it was to short so I rebuilt it with this retro looptail, I'm gona throw some blue tuffs on it like Steve Blackey's, I think his white quad with blue tuffs looks sweet

Picture_014.jpg

I like that Alvin. I'm actually thinking of a color change for my Quad. Not white though.

I love Tuffs. I have them on every bike I have because it reminds me of the times I rolled with them. I've had them ever since I folded an Araya at a jump spot and never looked back. I have broken Tuffs too. I know they aren't indestructable, but they look so damn cool.

Oh and I had alloys on my race bike (my looptail PK) but even it lost out to a set of Campy graphites.

2008_10_26_006.JPG

Nice Glenn, love your bike's and all the tuff's, you been riding any?

If i remember BITD we bought mags because we were always bending up our alloy rims. Mags were heavy but they were tough as nails. Just my .02

Only 2 types of mags were ever worth a toot, Skyway & Perigan (spelling, I just took my pain meds) and I had both, Z-rims were fun to fold over doing endos & always folded on 360s.

On the Campy graphites, they were lighted, but they would break much faster the the nylon counterparts, not uncommon at the races to see one of the spoked get chipped from a pedal. As do I like tuff, well, I HGutch Trick Star has a set of Campy graphites going on it, sitting under the bench, my Haro Master has a set of Purple if I go all black on the F,F&Bs, or I can reassemble it as a surviver with the White Tuff that came with it, I have new school Graphites on my 20" Azusa, I'm using my 24" alloy hubbed (owned since new) on my 24" Azusa, my 16" Super-Cross has new school 16 with free wheel, the 76 16" Sting-Ray Scrambler has white 16" (I also have a yellow set too and I'm putting Tuffs on my Reissue String-Ray Krate :)

So I guess you could say I like Mags :lol:

On my older bikes, black Tuff 1s on the Dan Gurney, motomags on the goose, the Schwinn Comp has Schwinn Magalloys by Lester, a stock 81 Mag Scrambleer, I have a pair of MX60 for thje Mathews Mono but the coolest wheels I have aren't Mags, or spokes, but Pedl Proof disc wheels for the Moose Goose :)