Sign in to follow this  
GTK

who robbed 10speed parts to put on their bmx bike in the 70"s

we didnt do it to make our bikes lighter or look cool in my neighborhood, we all had crappy bikes, but we did try tons of combinations for fun: 26" forks and wheel on a 20" bmx bike, 20" bmx front wheel on a 26" ten speed, riding at night on just rims (sparks), pouring gasoline on our tires and doing wheelies at night. fun stuff.

Seems like quite a few seats made the transition... especially Italian suede ones. The selle turbos got pretty popular in the early mid era too.

Before I got a single stem bmxer bars, I bought I think an avocet racing seat to put on my Westen Flyer stingray copy. Think it still had the drag slick on it, but the bananna seat was gone. Bike was purple. It took a while to get knobbie tires.

A.G.

....riding at night on just rims (sparks), pouring gasoline on our tires and doing wheelies at night. fun stuff.

We had an entire neighborhood of little pyros but we never thought of that! But I sure wish we had!!! FUN!!!

For me it was more out of desperation than anything if i broke something and had to raid the racers in the shed due to lack of funds.

Schwinn diamond cranks off my sisters 10 speed....

Do you know what the worst part of riding a road bike is ? ..... Having to tell your parents your gay. :lol:

Pedals and seats in 1973 for me.

Built my DG from the ground up with some ten speed parts. Not all BMX things had hit the markets yet.

Started this trend in about 1971 and got heavy into it in 73 like Rip did, and then did the Webco in 75 and the DG in 76.

Tom

My first alloy crankset came from a wrecked Azuki 10 speed that my neighbor had.

I spent a fair amount of time removing the extra length of the spider for the outer chainring, with a hack saw. It did work when completed but must of looked awful.

My first alloy hub from a Schwinn Varsity front wheel, laced with 105 spokes to a steel rim.

Do you know what the worst part of riding a road bike is ? ..... Having to tell your parents your gay. :lol:

That is too funny!

I wonder if any early BMX'ers used straps, ahead of their time (a precursor to clipless)

strap_pedals.jpg

I wonder if any early BMX'ers used straps, ahead of their time (a precursor to clipless)

Mostly little kids... parents would do anything to make their kid more competitive... even resorting to things that no one in their right mind would do if they themselves would be riding the bike... :lol:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

P.S. Here's a little trivia for you: Know why they're called Clipless Pedals? Well, the "straps" you refer to in the picture were actually called toe clips to hold your feet clipped and strapped to the pedal to maximize power throughout the pedal stroke. Clipless Pedals do not need the toe clip, hence the name...

Edited by Richard Vogt - bmxmountainbiker

I know Dennis Dain used one on the hack side of his sidehack. I thought I had an image but I can't seem to find it.

Most of the hard core hackers were running clips. Pretty hairy when you had to bail (ask the Crofoot brothers)

I even saw some maniacs run the old Cinelli "clipless" pedals once

In 78' I used to take seats off of my dad's collection of junk 10 speeds and

pull off the covers and run the stock plastic underneath (and drill em' out for lightness too).

Quite a few times found some Dia Compe or Weinnman caliper brakes I wound up using.

I learned you could take your headset bearings out (LOL)! I started replacing my stock bearings and started running Campagnolo with more ballbearings. Really smooth.

Then I took it a step further and ran my headset cage-less a.k.a freeball.

Did the same with my Euro and American sized bottom brackets as well.

In 80' I learned from Byron Friday about running road hubs with track axles on a BMX bike.

He had a set of silver 7b rims laced into a set of Dura Ace road hubs with track axles.

Those wheels were sooooooooooo cooooooooolllll!!!!!!!!

I never liked 10 speeds too much. But I did have a fixed gear track bike around 79' or 80'.

Guess I was a trendy kid riding a FIXY 31 years early. LOL!!!!!

I did then with my Dad, building Custom Bikes.

and I still do today with my builds.

Dura Ace, Super Maxy, Cinelli

say no more,

:OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

Kev.

I ran Fuji stamped Sugino cranks off a 12 speed for the longest time on a Mongoose. They were IDENTICAL to maxy cross.

fujicranks.jpg