Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

1976 California Cup Spread from BMX News

October 1st, 1976 issue of BMX Weekly

Vol 2 Number 4

Provenance of this crucial periodical: Greyboy collection, former Bottema collection.

California Cup winners. This is a who's who of early BMX poppin' off right here.

1976CaliforniaCup.jpg

• Like 1

Now thats a piece of BMX history right there. It's cool to see so many of the who's who as youngsters.

thats badd ass

Very Cool!! :ThumbsUp:

Damn! That's very cool! :naughty:

Hanging with Grey sounds like a blast! Nice pre-party vibe mixed with some historical BMX gem scanning, all right before the big event! :rawks:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the real deal.

Many racers I remember when I was 10 in 78'

So cool seeing so many of my San Diego racers doing well.

Wade Newton was one of my heros when I was first started.

wow this is so cool man! :ThumbsUp: I'm surprised not very many people commented on this. Must not be that many 70's old school people in here I guess. :blastin: I see a lot of riders I used to beat all the time from San Diego...Newton, Masumoto, Hudson...ha

Sweet pic!

I like it when Mike Welsh posts on here. Dude has sooo much San Diego BMX history in him. That and sometime in the 70s, we bumped hacks a few times.

Eddy King was telling me that the California Cup races really stepped up

the sport of BMX in 1976. Bringing all the best from San Diego, Los Angeles,

Centeral Cal, and Nor Cal all together to race hard and represent your region.

This really brings back memories for me. Seven of these riders were JMC Team riders at one time or another. 10 yr Mark Higgins JMC Factory, 11 yr John Begin, 1st JMC factory member, 14 yr Scott Clark Co-Factory, 15 yr David (Tinker) Juarez JMC factory, 15 yr Dennis Foster JMC factory, Kevin McNeil Co-factory and Harry Leary JMC factory and one of my best welders and friends. The rest of the guys pictured make up the Whos Who of BMX! Thank you for posting it Steve.

Jim Melton

Gawd I remember one weekend Tinker randomley showed up at Rancho and we ended up in the same heat and it was sooooo freaking cool man. It gave me a lot of confidence when I beat him a few times. But he beat me too so it was kind of an even deal but he was really cool and we shook hands after every race. Tinker was a class act as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the awesome memories Tinker! :thanks: Miss you Tinker. :Praise:

Jim Melton, Yes it's amazing how many future JMC riders are in that picture. :bravo:

100_0965.JPG

Still have my number plate from that race. From what I remember I ran myself over in practice and screwed up my ankle so bad I could hardly walk. My foot slipped off the pedal going down the starting hill and my pedel hit the back of my calf. So much for the Nor Cal #1 qualifier.

At the time I thought those were the coolest number plates I had ever seen. Wish I had one. :30:

bump for nycet3

being a huge fan of number plates . i have to say . those have always been my favorites . i never get tired of looking at them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

being a huge fan of number plates . i have to say . those have always been my favorites . i never get tired of looking at them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is so cool looking. thanks for digging it up. might have to make a replica. Joe

yeah man . i am stoked steve found that thread .

Hey, there's lots more where this came from! I've just started the BX Weekly blog at bxweekly.wordpress.com. BX Weekly became BX Bi-Weekly, then BMX Weekly (not to be confused with the British magazine, BMX Bi-Weekly). I'm scanning and posting all of my archives, and adding in some other bits of history here and there. I'd be stoked if anyone here at BMX Society would like to contribute.

img064.jpg

David Cooper was on the original factory JMC team with Dennis foster,John begin,Harry leary,stevie west ,ronnie west ,James coulter,Frechette .....