Sign in to follow this  
SHADESSEAN

Ralphs Bicycles HUSTLER

12/1980

2009_06_13_17_00_49_0020.jpg

Sweet ad.

Ralph sponsored me a Hustler back in 1982 after i rode a P.K Ripper for S.E.

Ralphs was my home shop.

Glad to see this. :Praise:

post up some pic's...........

That's awesome. Do post pics.

Sean and I just want to see the PK :)

I recall those frames being around from 82' -87'.

Did the frames change much in that time period?

I recall them all looking pretty similar.

Who made the frames for them? Or did they build them at Ralph's?

the pre '82 HUSTLERs, which are looptails, look totally different than the post '82, which are a stick tail design that stayed the same through '87 (or whenever they ended) :Liv2ride:

Here's the early Hustlers in the scan archive: Link. (site support only)

Here's a taste though :)

Picture_2.png

That's from the August 80 issue of Super

i dont think there have been any loop hustlers to surface in the hobby :nah.I.mean: yet...anyone??

According to the August '80 issue of SuperBMX, the rider in the above 'Ad' is Darrel Yeargain.

The photo in that ad is classic! Love it...

i dont think there have been any loop hustlers to surface in the hobby :nah.I.mean: yet...anyone??

red baron still has his from bitd.

if i havent seen it, then it doesnt exist :nah.I.mean: hahahaha...post some pics RED!

interesting how much the Looptail Hustler frame resembles the Laguna 101 frame. I wonder if it's a family resemblance?

gallery_134_101_167107.jpg

• Like 2

if i havent seen it, then it doesnt exist

My thoughts exactly!!!

Darrell raced for Ralph forever. He was a very nice kid. Not the fastest racer but he had his moments and mixed it up with the best in his class. I saw him at Ralph's funeral 10 years ago and he looked good.

A little trivia about Ralph and the Hustler...I remember sitting with him and brainstorming for a name for the bike he was going to produce. I don't remember all the names we went thru but one name stands out. One of us hit on Assassin. I liked it but Ralph said all he could see is 'ass' and 'ass', and once he got that in his head he could not shake it.

If you knew Ralph like I knew Ralph, I need not tell you where the name "Hustler" came from. :ROTFLMAO:

I still miss him. I just saw Karen (his widow) the other day and she is going to look for the very first autoghaphed picture I ever did. I did it for Ralph, for the shop, and after I signed my name he told me to add my 'nickname' also. Now remember, this is the first time I ever did this...I wrote;

Dennis Dain

The Red Barroon

OMG!!! I can still hear Ralph laughing. It is a sweet memory.

• Like 1

Ok ok ok...pictures of the Hustler...

For some reason I have lost the ability to control the order of where I put my pictures so I will just have to wing this. I will describe what pictures I am going to post and then hope for the best.

I will post a picture of how my Hustler looked BITD and then a picture of it now. I will also add a couple of pictures from the last race at Corona while mixing it up with Stu.

MeStu1 - resize.JPG

MeStu1 (1) resize.JPG

img557.jpg

DSC01307 - resize.JPG

• Like 1

Holy shit that is a cool frame Dennis! Thanks for sharing with us!

If you need my address let me know? :power.of.suggestion: :ROTFLMAO:

damn thats a sick frame :bowdownAll: are those cook forks? and im digging your OG build too :nah.I.mean:

awesome yella whip... and great insight into the name the frame process. Good stuff, Dennis.

actually, i'm gathering stuff for a comprehensive Ralphs thread now. this stuff will be great for that.

such a rad frame dennis!! can't remember what mag it was in but i think i just saw another pic of you racing it (i'll ask grey...it was at his house).

I'm still waiting for acknowlegement from Greyboy on my non existing looptail Hustler. :)

After I quit racing in mid 79 I went about joining the real world. I raced a few times in the early 80s but I honestly don't have many memories that stand out. A few people have sent me pictures of some of those racing exploits.

I have this picture but I do not know what magazine it came out of.

byronfridaytobyhendersouv3.jpg

I've wanted a hustler since was a kid. My older brother got one from Ralphs but it was stolen pretty quick. Anyone ever see these being sold anywhere nowadays and if so what kind of price range. This is one of the few threads i've seen about them, and I haven't seen any for sale (been looking off and on for a few months).

I sported a Ralphs jersey for a few years when i raced in the early 90's. Ralphs was our go-to bike shop!

Over the weekend my older brother contacted the only other person i knew who owned a Hustler. He was ready so sell. Pretty certain most of this bike was had through Ralphs Bicycles in the 80's. It's been over 20 years since i've seen this bike. Thought i could share. I think the forks are JMC, DK stem (without logo?), white Z rims (painted black), Cook Bros. Bars (with number plate).

I've got some work to do to clean all the rust spots. Sorry for the poor photo.

Very excited to finally have this bike!

BMX Hustler.jpg

Sweet! Congrats.

We have some pretty serious Ralph's collectors here. Hopefully they'll post up some heat at some point soon.

Liv2ride.gif