Sign in to follow this  
SHADESSEAN

Ralphs Bicycles HUSTLER

(Nice frame. I uploaded your photos here,)

IMG_5539.JPGIMG_5540.JPGIMG_5541.JPG

• Like 2

what info do you need?  

i really got to get the inclusive thread together now that a couple more frames have popped up.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I am looking for serial number decoding info, Hustler parts info, is there much Hustler stuff out there or am I wasting my time looking for parts? Any idea how many Hustlers were made? Maybe I look at Cook Bros parts instead for my build? 

Edited by sco1035

the H has nothing do with the date. It's for Hustler. there's no confirmation for the numbers. could possibly be for the month and/or the number of frames made. Cook Bros and CW are both known to have built Hustler frames (not sure of the exact timeline of that though). Ralph even went to JMC and purchased Jims frames and had his gussets added to those too. Ralph also used VDC to manufacture stuff like handlebars, etc...
  • Like 2

Thanks Brian. A little way to go to get it to where I would like it to be. Those Hustler parts are proving to be elusive!

Rad one sco!

• Like 1

Thanks gents.

This one will be a keeper so I'm still keen on some OG parts if I some turn up.

that's nice, well done

• Like 1

nice pit... shoot for the moon on price LOL

• Like 1

There was one on Museum for sale in the last few months too.

Added a pic from the eBay link for future reference.

869FD10C-7AC3-4846-B388-9472BD6201B0.jpeg

• Like 1

the H has nothing do with the date. It's for Hustler. there's no confirmation for the numbers. could possibly be for the month and/or the number of frames made. Cook Bros and CW are both known to have built Hustler frames (not sure of the exact timeline of that though). Ralph even went to JMC and purchased Jims frames and had his gussets added to those too. Ralph also used VDC to manufacture stuff like handlebars, etc...

I can’t recall the full serial number, but the frame set I picked up from Andreas has a serial number that begins with HB.

Update: I just checked the frame, the serial number is MH001, but was originally BH001. Judging by the deeper impression, it's obvious the 'M' was stamped over the 'B' vs the other way around.

Edited by dubplatestyle

Added a pic from the eBay link for future reference.

attachicon.gif869FD10C-7AC3-4846-B388-9472BD6201B0.jpeg

This same pit bike was on the museum by a guy out of Porterville, CA for $1250. I spoke to the guy that had it and he said that he would take a a $1000 for it. Looks like this "new" owner will keep it forever at a price of $6900

Ralphs Hustler Pit Bike.png

Ralphs Pit Bike.jpg

• Like 1

Saw this spotlight in an old issue of Super BMX from May of 1982. The writing in the review is pretty cheezy / odd which is sort of the charm of it from that era. Hope the Hustler fans enjoy these scans.

HUSTLER SPOTLIGHT _SUPER BMX MAY 1982 _A.jpg

HUSTLER SPOTLIGHT _SUPER BMX MAY 1982 _C.jpg

HUSTLER SPOTLIGHT _SUPER BMX MAY 1982 _B.jpg

HUSTLER SPOTLIGHT _SUPER BMX MAY 1982 _D.jpg

HUSTLER SPOTLIGHT _SUPER BMX MAY 1982 _E.jpg

Ralph's Bicycles of Downey, Ca. RULES FOREVER. Used to live in Downey, Ca. I would always go in there. They were so nice to me. I had a Chrome with blue anodized Cook Bros. bicycle out of the window, Then a chrome Hustler with Bottema forks, out of the window.

12/24/2020 now. Long live Ralph's Bicycles and all who knew him. To all bmx riders of back then, factory, or bike shop or just street bmx, you rule. I even remember Robert, their first employee, then I think, Randy, was their new younger employee who came to help them a bit later. Ralph's Bicycles on Imperial, in Downey Ca., right next to that little post office...Rules!! Hope Karen and Lynette are doing well. 

This is the 14 year old from back then who loved to go in there and just gaze at all the beautiful bikes, different anodized colors, the smell of the rubber from the oakley grips and bmx competition tioga tires. Ralph would always be sitting in the back, lacing up some rims for some famous rider back then. He was so nice. To Robert, the bike shop worker from back then, that little kid who used to come in and hang out, I say hello to you man. I Pray you are all well. My name is John.

• Like 1