Sign in to follow this  
subwax

My Rockford VDC

Thought I'd show you guys my bike I built for Rockford - the thing was a challenge from start right to the very end, not made easy by the 5000 odd miles between me and the bike.

Img1553.jpg

I know you guys like original, but this one wasnt in a good way before I got it. Had to have a major repair near the headtube.

Hope you like it.

Oh, and Bob Acid - those are your bars.

Looks good and a selection of some real nice parts, Neil. What color was the frame/bars originally? Just curiosity... not trying to give you a hard time in the least. Did you take it back to England?

Thanks Steve.

The frame was chrome originally, and the forks were green. The bars were white, I think, and had them been spraypainted dark blue.

The frame was in a bad way - here's a pic:

1084014_04.jpg

Here's the parts breakdown, for those interested:

1984 VDC Freestyler frame and forks

2nd gen VDC Freestyler bars

DK Freestyle stem

NOS Dia Compe 900 brakes with Skyway Pro pads and fins

Skyway mags with gen 1 Campy hubs

NOS Panaracer tyres

VDC Seatpost

NOS CyclePro Shotgun II seat

Dia Compe seatpost clamp

Profile 3rd gen 175mm Cranks with Sugino MX A5 spider, NOS Sugino 44 tooth chainring, NOS 16 tooth sprocket and NOS Izumi chain

Shimnano DX pedals

Some NOS decals, some of my own decals

Willinois Rad Kaps

Custom stand made by C4Labs

Edit - must give thanks to the frame doctor for a fantastic repair job.

One of the issues I had was that the paintwork was damaged during postage. I have all the parts back in the UK - am having the frame repowdered.

This bike is AWESOME... It looked even better in person...

You did a great job mate..

Good on you, Juan. Thanks very much.

Your build was absolutely stellar, and deserves the title of Best Freestyle / Best in Show. Those cranks, man - they were just something else!!! It was an honour to be runner-up in the Freestyle category.

For completeness - here's a pic of the top tube after Tim repaired it:

1084014_01.jpg

1084014_02.jpg

Outstanding work.

Have got to show off the custom stand, made by Chip at C4Labs.

Img1555.jpg

Pure genius.

Very nice Neil

Lets see more detail shots... I know you didn't set all of that up just to snap two photos

Neil your bike came out really great, and a cool selection of parts, what is the story of the campy front hub?

WOW, killer bike! love those wheels

Glad to see it finally got the restoration it deserved, looks outstanding!

I got to get me a bunch of those stands, very nice..

Those wheels, eh? They are the cause of many sleepless nighs, I can tell you!!!

First of all - here's the inspiration:

Coloured Graphites

The rims are actually NOS rims that didnt have the hubs installed for whatever reason. I found a set of first gen Campy graphites, and removed the hubs, as we were trying to arrange with Skyway to get them to rivet everything together, although this didnt prove possible in the end. We then found someone who thought they could do the rivetting - the first of the drama's we had to deal with. When they tried to rivet the front wheel, it cracked one of the flanges. Back to the drawing book!

After spending days looking for another flange to use, we gave up on that idea. A repair was made to the flange, only visible when really close up. We then got a set of rivets, cut them in half, and made them slot into eachother. This proved the working solution, although still knowing that there was a crack there bothered the crap out of me.

I had the wheels shipped to me in the Us, days prior to Rockford. The wheels turned up with the rear spindle sticking out of the box, missing all the washers and wheelnut. Time for me to put my head in my hands and dispair again! Those Campy nuts are bespoke to the spindle - not a regular size. We found a few front nuts, however they are smaller than the rear. If anyone can remember me floating about Rockford on Friday at the swap meet, pestering all and sundry for a Campy rear wheelnut, you'll now know why. Eventually, Tim, the Frame Doctor, came to our rescue - he took the front away with him and managed to tap the nut out to the size of the rear. So I turned up on Saturday morning, still missing the damn nut. Raced to find Tim, and got it - phew, I thought - result!

The next problem was that the threads on the nut didnt appear to be as deep as they needed to be - when putting the nut under a degree of strain, it would slip back on the spindle. There was nothing more i could to at that point - it is what it is, as a certain Big Tube owner likes to say. It looked an awful lot better than it did without a nut, thats for sure.

So thats the story of those bloody wheels - they do look good, for sure, but it took its toll on my grey hair count, no doubt.

Many heartfelt thanks need to be made to Chip at C4, Tim (SERacingman / Frame Doctor) and to Brian and Steven who put up with my moaning about it. Steven was missing a chain for one of his builds right til Saturday morning, but didnt moan once. Well, not about the chain at least!!!

Edit for sp.

By the way - anyone with a front gen 1 flange or a rear nut, or some Grecian 2000, please get in contact with me.

I have a few campy nuts, I think a few fronts and one rear. I'll snap a photo of them and post.

By the way - anyone with a front gen 1 flange or a rear nut, or some Grecian 2000, please get in contact with me.

Absolutely beautiful build.

Definitely worth the effort to have those parts and frame repaired.

Very unique VDC :)