Sign in to follow this  
2blader

Shot gun II's

Anybody know when they came out?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Was just talking about this with a friend.....We both have some recollection of 83/84,But not sure?

If later it wasn't by much.

I have a very vivid recollection of a kid at school putting a Shotgun II on his X20-R. Had to be 4th or 5th grade which coincides with Gary's estimate.

I have one on my goose and I never bought anything after 83.

They came out earlier than you would think. I had one on my Sting in early/mid '82. I remember it clearly because people sort of looked at me sideways because it was so different looking than the "normal" looking seats of the time.

The March '82 issue of BMXA has an ad for Cycle Pro completes showing a Shotgun II on the Bonzai complete bike. The magazine usually had a 3-4 month lead time so it could have came out late in '81 actually. I don't have any earlier magazines handy to look at to see if that same ad shows up earlier than March of '82.

I think we all remember them being later because they weren't very popular at first and Kashimax Aeros sort of stole the spotlight when they came on the scene and the Shotgun II didn't become popular for a few more years.

• Like 1

OK thanks guys so I don't have to look for another seat-anybody have a 1982 dated NOS/showmounted BLUE Shotgun II for trade for an 1984 dated one?

If not I'll just use it.

I have one and it's stamped underneath w/ year and maybe month even, I can't remember but when I get back to my stash, I giver 'er a look-see fer ya' homeboy.

Thanks man

Hey Scott,

Check w/ Keith (8587gn) He has a perfect blue SG II on one of his bikes.......Not sure if he would care to swap or about date codes but it's worth a try.

I forget what year bike he that seat on but it might be an 84.

I'm getting ready to put one on my 84 Darrell Young so I'm glad to know they came out early enough,Good thread.

Nice DROP of knowledge Mr. Loveless!!!!! :ThumbsUp:

and Mr. 2blader,

you's bees a anal MO FO!!! :P

I was thinkin' the same thing Jon. No one's going to be looking at the date code Scott, but I can understand you knowing and not feeling right about it...

At any rate. I think Jon has one he'll give you. Is it ok if it's in two pieces?

they came about 82 (maybe as early as late 81) .... they're all dated underneath --- yr.....mon

they had 2 shape designs -- the earlier one was extra contoured (curvy) w/a quite a few extra holes and no stripes, if i remember correctly - they had allot of trouble w/cracking

they changed the design by softening the edges around late 82 into 83 (slight design change its hard to notice unless they are viewed side by side) and lessening the holes and adding the stripes - and to me what looks to be a little thicker mold (although i never weighed them or took measurements) but the upgrade made a difference and by 84 they were becoming the hot commod.

i have a nice BLK survivor and nos rep (of the later style) in my own personal stash, as should any true connoisseur :Cool_LikeThat:

Nice DROP of knowledge Mr. Loveless!!!!! :ThumbsUp:

and Mr. 2blader,

you's bees a anal MO FO!!! :P

I heard you were anal too you fuckin midget. :whistling: :) I know its no biggie but if were as easy as a trade-then I would do it.

they came about 82 (maybe as early as late 81) .... they're all dated underneath --- yr.....mon

they had 2 shape designs -- the earlier one was extra contoured (curvy) w/a quite a few extra holes and no stripes, if i remember correctly - they had allot of trouble w/cracking

they changed the design by softening the edges around late 82 into 83 (slight design change its hard to notice unless they are viewed side by side) and lessening the holes and adding the stripes - and to me what looks to be a little thicker mold (although i never weighed them or took measurements) but the upgrade made a difference and by 84 they were becoming the hot commod.

i have a nice BLK survivor and nos rep (of the later style) in my own personal stash, as should any true connoisseur :Cool_LikeThat:

Thx J M C for the info.

I looked at my SG II on my '81 survivor, and didn't see a date. All I see is Ariake, Jaguar aero, 7378.... Where is the date?

Also, I believe my '82 Bonzai Pro came new with a SG II.

Edited by Marshall

where it has the NJS insignia and the 7378 --- its real tiny and on either side --- the yr on the left and the month on the right

take a pic of your saddle if its truly an 81 survivor it should be the earlier shape w/o the racin stripes --- just allot of holes

where it has the NJS insignia and the 7378 --- its real tiny and on either side --- the yr on the left and the month on the right

take a pic of your saddle if its truly an 81 survivor it should be the earlier shape w/o the racin stripes --- just allot of holes

I looked and didn't see a date anywhere. Here are some pix on the seat.

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

As gay as this may sound....Nice Seat!!!

haha!!!

No lines just like JMC said!!!

yes - thats an early one - and the 2 holes on either side of the word "Japan" is where you would have seen the date on the later ones.

thanks i couldn't remember if the early ones were dated like the later ones --- so i guess not --- i had an early one a few yrs back and took detailed photos for comparison, but that disc is buried somewhere in the madness of our home renovations pile

you can see yours is not striped and has many more holes on the seat -- i actually like the earlier one more, its very sleek looking .....but.... they had allot of issues with the breaking (more like shattering) so they are pretty hard to unearth - especially black - plus i'm not exactly sure how long they were made before the design changes, but from memory i don't remember them being around too long before the new design took.

TRY THIS ..... i believe the earlier ones were dated underneath as well but directly below where the seat guts are, so its hard to see (like elina seats)

somebody is selling a blue one on bmxmuseum right now. says its an 82, and shows the 82 on the bottom of the seat in the pics.

I see what you mean about the location of the date (I snagged these from an eBay auction - strictly for illustration purposes only). I also noticed the 1st version (the one I posted) Is a JAGUAR seat, and the second version is the JAGUAR II, Pretty easy way to tell them apart (besides the stripes on the side).

_BWP7wzwBWk___KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmVgL3BKWjKFQ52Q___3.JPG

_BWP8_SgBmk___KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmWWZMBKWjKn0M6____3.JPG

and finally..... I took the goose back down from the rafters and looked under the seat guts..... 1/83 is the date. So sometime between 1/83 and 12/83 they changed the style from JAGUAR to JAGUAR II.

IMG_1894.JPG

Edited by Marshall

the one up for sale on the Museum is dated 12/82 - and is the 1st version

the one you own is dated 1/83 - and is the new version

so i would assume the design change took place for 83 --- one mystery solved

now as for the exact date they were intro'd is the next step .....

as Scott stated, they were on the early Shotgun Bonzai that was showcased in the May 82 issue of BMXA ---- so given the delay in print, they may have been around as early as late 81 (or there abouts)

bump

April 82 I bought a Shotgun II to replace the Kashimax on my ProAm that I broke when I cased a jump off of a car hood propped on a fallen tree (Yes, Staten Island trails were kinda ghetto) with my Easter money from my grandmother. Pretty sure I asked for it specifically, because I thought it looked cool on one of the Cycle Pro team dudes bikes at one of the later 81 nationals i attended. At the time I loved Snake Bellys and coordinated my cycle pro tires, saddle and pads all in blue. My folks have a picture of my Panda in that config from my first race of 82 season a month or so later.

Compared to the Kashi Aero, this was a way more comfortable saddle for me, being a little more flexy, but I am pretty sure the saddle only lasted me a season or so (again, sketchy trails, and lots of bad landings).

• Like 1