Sign in to follow this  
84profile

Bullseye Hubs???

I was flicking through ebay in a vain attempt to match up my mint 24" Profile forks to another frame (a story for another day) when I came across this.... Ebay

Can anyone tell me about the Bullseye Hubs on it, in particular the rear one? I've never seen one like it before. Around the non-drive side it appears to be different...is this another verison?

yes but made from blueprints from BITD :whistling:

that thing is a mess --- the hubs have new style decals with old style bolt through axles :blink:

and to add i think the rear is like for a tandem or three wheel cart of some sort because the spacing on the flanges is off, it's def. not 120 or 110 even, the threaded side's spokes are angled and the opposite is almost straight up and down :wacko:

then seat clamp is late 80s/early 90s - the cranks p-coated with early 80s KKT Lightning (ah don't you think something a bit more tech is deserving ?) - then theres the seat and the tires ... :P

Just give me the spider.

Thats not a bullseye hub. Looks to be someones shop class lathe project. They never made a hub like that. Ever!

Even the dude in Canada thats was selling repop hubs on ebay did a better job

Edited by nikbsnjk

I had the same thoughts regarding most of the bike, this is one bike I would actually like to see torn down and sold in parts! :lol:

Just for my own selfish needs of course!

I had the same thoughts regarding most of the bike, this is one bike I would actually like to see torn down and sold in parts! :lol:

Just for my own selfish needs of course!

How about a wind chime?

looks legit.

mid '90s. mostly marketed as a MTB hub, but sold for everything else, too, if you wanted it. the reverse flange is to offset the dish caused by using 7-8 speed freewheels. you could always special order his hubs with whichever style axle you wanted.

this one came from Roger, hisself.

hub.jpg

looks legit.

mid '90s. mostly marketed as a MTB hub, but sold for everything else, too, if you wanted it. the reverse flange is to offset the dish caused by using 7-8 speed freewheels. you could always special order his hubs with whichever style axle you wanted.

hub.jpg

Dang Chris, way to go pullin that one out the collection. Thats a first for me. But take a closer look at the link again. Especially the inner side of the flange on the front hub. Are you saying Roger actually tapered down the extended flanged on a lathe AFTER anno? Thats what gets me.

either way --- its a later hub dressed to look a part it ain't playin' too well --- i still feel that thing is a mess.

Thanks for the input guys. The hubs came to me on a PL24 about two years ago. They are not a thru bolt , but rather someone has switched the allens for hexhead bolts. Not sure of there origin, prolly Mt bike hubs. They were laced in to the wheels as you see them now. As far as the front being "turned" I've never have seen this either.

The cranks are powderd not painted w/ black anno spider, again this is how they came to me.. Yes the seat post and seat clamp suck, but its what I had lying around when I built it. This was not my original vision of how she would be built. But after I got the f/f from "killertiller" I had to build it and ride it.

Yes I know the BIN price is way out there, but you gotta shoot for the guy that "had one as a kid....and gotta have it"

She would make a sweet wind chime :ThumbsUp:

Thanks for the input guys. The hubs came to me on a PL24 about two years ago. They are not a thru bolt , but rather someone has switched the allens for hexhead bolts. Not sure of there origin, prolly Mt bike hubs. They were laced in to the wheels as you see them now. As far as the front being "turned" I've never have seen this either.

The cranks are powderd not painted w/ black anno spider, again this is how they came to me.. Yes the seat post and seat clamp suck, but its what I had lying around when I built it. This was not my original vision of how she would be built. But after I got the f/f from "killertiller" I had to build it and ride it.

Yes I know the BIN price is way out there, but you gotta shoot for the guy that "had one as a kid....and gotta have it"

If you dont mind me asking but do you know if that hubset or full bike came from Canada?

i didn't look at the front hub before. dunno what's up with that. maybe modified "regular" rear flanges for use on a front??

If anyone would know its you Chris. Very few guys with your knowledge. Just thought that front looked jacked.

If you dont mind me asking but do you know if that hubset or full bike came from Canada?

The bike was built here in San Diego for a girl named Vanessa. She told me she had it for over ten years. If you goto the(evil) museum and check my bike I still have it up,for now,Its the white one in my bikes (whttrsh)

Thanks guys have a great weekend...I'm out camping till sunday :Creepin: :Liv2ride:

..........Sounds like a little too much free time from the 'hub-scouts'....That style rear hub was all over the place with the widget Mtn. Bike crowd wanting a custom wheelset with 6-and 7 speed 'dishing'.....I know there are adds in M.B.A. along with Roger's ovalized chainrings,ala-biopace..!

Thanks for the input to all, that's what is cool about this site, is the extreme knowledge, that always surfaces...

I have been re-schooled on Bullseye Hubs!

(oh yeah, I'm that "one guy that had one as a kid" :P but I just need the frame!! LMK know if you consider parting it)

They are not a thru bolt , but rather someone has switched the allens for hexhead bolts.

Roger was shipping that axle style with hex bolts instead of allens for a while in the late '90s. mine originally had hex's, also, as did several of my "regular BMX" hubs from that era.

looks legit.

hub.jpg

That hub looks legit to me too. It looks like an MTB hub converted to 110mm BMX spacing.

In the early 90's, Some mountain bikes were still using freewheels, 7+ speeds required the axle to be really long on the drive side, between the bearing and the drop. Axle breakage was very common. This is one of the reasons the cassette came to be in the first place. It added a third bearing closer to the drop (or just spaced them wider) to support the hub and gears better on the axle. I'm guessing that is a thru-bolt and the axle is not threaded, like the original hubs had? This would eliminate the axle's internal threads, which are a stress riser. BTW, even the BMX axles were prone to breaking on these hubs. Seen it happen...

I think the hub above with its wider bearings is probably an improvement over the original design w/o requiring any major retooling by the Co.