Sign in to follow this  
66alfa_gtv

resuscitating Bob Reedy

Very nice work Alfa. We need more of this type of restoration. I really dig the satin machine look. I wish I still had the Reedys off of my PK. Is the Reedy company the same company that made R/C car parts? I always wondered.

Yes, good job on the do it yourself, and cheap approach, often times the best way to go...

Very nice work Alfa. We need more of this type of restoration. I really dig the satin machine look. I wish I still had the Reedys off of my PK. Is the Reedy company the same company that made R/C car parts? I always wondered.

I am ignorant about the R/C car parts.

Reedy and "Futura X" pedals were made by Demco Bicycle Products MFG. Located in Dublin CA.

This info is what is printed on the included warranty card and/or other info that came with the pedal boxes.

And nice work on the pedals shown in this post.

Came out sweet

The bodies were a soft satiny finish almost as though they were acid dipped ---- but the cages had grain to them - I've done a few de-ano / resto's in the past (I'm not one to polish heavy) I love the machined industrial look they came ---- the last hit I give them was with a drywall sanding sheet (the mesh kind) that give them that deep to light grain and really gets them looking og.

Maybe Pat (se666) can post a pic of his on the gjs - that bike had me going back to it several times - it was immaculate thru and thru.

The 1st incarnation stemmed from Weyless - they made high precise road/track equipment - pedals and training rollers - weyless were two bros and bob reedy - bob split from the bunch and went on to produced reedy pedals with demco - who after the divorce kept the design with slight mod differences so as to not be sued for infringement (added wrench flats really was basically it and the cut out on the cages became round instead of capsule shaped) And reedy sorta just faded from the BMX business.

Demco futura-x also soon fell by the wayside - as platfom pedal design became the thing.

Hey T - no disrespect - but you sure those axles are legit and not modern day replacements ? The wear to them don't look like it matches the patina on the pedals themselves.

I remember quite a few yrs back (even b4 u was a player) someone running some repops for "personal interest" :rolleyes: - I don't remember demco ever offering Ti axles - I may be off, but I just don't remember them bitd.

Hey T - no disrespect - but you sure those axles are legit and not modern day replacements ? The wear to them don't look like it matches the patina on the pedals themselves.

I remember quite a few yrs back (even b4 u was a player) someone running some repops for "personal interest" :rolleyes: - I don't remember demco ever offering Ti axles - I may be off, but I just don't remember them bitd.

I got the pedals from the original owner of them and I asked the exact question. He said that is how they came.

if you search this site and other bmx sites Demco Titanium spindles, it seems that it was an option, even on mini pedals

look at Haney's post of his mini pedals, they appear to be Ti

http://bmxsociety.com/topic/27577-rarest-of-the-rare/page__st__160

JT has the same pedals on his 81 torker

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/torker/43872/

Dubplatestyle has them on his mini as well

http://bmxsociety.com/topic/48837-84-hutch-lil-holeshot/

another set that sold on ebay over on martin's website

http://martin-bike.com/BikeShop/slides/Demco%20Futura%20pedals.html

http://www.martin-bike.com/BikeShop/slides/Demco%20Futura.html

Its a good question Marcos. I would like to know if anyone knows the history on the Titanium spindle

its obvious these are all Demco pedals and not the Reedy versions.

Anyone else know or have any information?

I have and do own multiple sets of Reedy and Demco all since new. I still have the included order sheet (came with the pedals) it makes no mention of a TI spindle.

However the Weyless (high end road pedals, made by Demco) may have come with a TI option for weight savings.

From a Reedy order sheet it says that four versions could be ordered.

1. Reedy 10 speed pro

2. Reedy 10 speed pro ultra light

3. BMX

4. BMX super pro

This is just a guess but it would not surprise me if the ultra light option was a TI spindle.

I own a set if the weyless - they have an aluminum axle that looks Ti - unless it's Ti, but again I don't believe Ti was an option

I also owned a set of demco in the box with card and no mention or box to check off as option

--- I'll get a pic of my weyless up tom.

Still a bit weary - most the builds you refer to ha quite a bit of mods done throughout an the hutch mini every had some repop bits ....

Again I believe the minis had aluminum shafts - not Ti, but again we still need something more solid - like an ad or product review or flyer etc .....

I own a set if the weyless - they have an aluminum axle that looks Ti - unless it's Ti, but again I don't believe Ti was an option

I also owned a set of demco in the box with card and no mention or box to check off as option

--- I'll get a pic of my weyless up tom.

Sorry for bringing up an old Thread BUT

MARCOS - here is the proof they made Titanium spindles for Demco pedals. This is from BMX action September 1981. Read the caption on the pedals :nah.I.mean:

Capture.JPG

"the hutch mini every [sic] had some repop bits...."

Besides the 'Rocket' Houseman decal and the Bear Development frame pad that I received from Alan McCorkle, there's no 'reproduced' components on my 'lil holeshot'!

I also believe the 'mini' Demco's that J.Haney posted back in '07, are in fact the same ones in my possession.

I came back today to revisit this thread (what can I say, I love the tech and resto stuff).  

I was bummed to see the pics were off-site hosted and missing in the original post.  66Alfa, if you're checking in, I would love to see those pics back up!  

ouch!  That's too bad.

let me know when you are ready to restore the thread, we'll have to do something with the edit function since this is an old thread, the edit window will have closed.

Read through this topic today. Glad it's still available. Good info. Just wish all the pics were visible. Weyless-Reedy-Demco have always been on my 'wanted' collection list. Later settled for Helix but hope to get actual Reedy's or Demco's in the future.

If I ever find those pics, I'll post them here. They were on photobucket, but I deleted my account when they changed their format (started charging? I cannot remember).

• Like 1

I always dug those pedals. 

I remember a tip, or something in BMX Action, where someone put a small square of grip tape on the flatish part of the aluminum body of the pedal for extra traction. To a junior high BMXer that was pretty dang trick!

• Like 1