Sign in to follow this  
reekie6

Suntour Mag Pedals ?????

To be honest I can't explain your weight comparison - but as far as color no two companies or batches shared all the same suppliers - just as the powerlite PL-1 seat clamps were shinier then most any other mag product (another relic that was subject to yrs of discussion as they were usually just referred to as a mousetrap clamp and nothing else quite special) there was only one reference in a new products article and one mail order sheet that stated them to be mag.

Over the yrs this has been a subject of debate and I have always been one on the side of the mag possibility along with others that felt the same way - for one because though I have tried to muster up the literature I can't for the life of me remember what mag or newspaper reviewed them bitd and stated the 2 offered, that and the fact as a kid growing up my local Scavone's primo bike shop had a showcase they always stocked with crazy high end exotic parts, just for flash I suppose, and had a pair of what I consider the mag body displayed along side the future-x pedals and Sonlite hubs etc - they were priced at $69.99 and sat there till the shop closed in 84, when the polished ones came about were sold for less money like $35-40, I remember asking them myself what was so special about those suntours and they informed me they were mag, were they wrong maybe, am I wrong, maybe... I have searched many yrs every article, mag, periodical etc I have had access to, from 79-80 - unfortunately there isn't much literature on them - not even sales lists from mail order shops that suggest dull or polished offerings - even online postings of old Suntour catalogs fall short.

But like hutch ti-mag chrome plated hubs are still questionable - so will the definitive answer as to whether or not this style pedal is actually just dull finish or mag - seems pretty nonsensical to have offered them as dull or polished at the same time. I'd love to see some definitive proof myself.

To be honest I can't explain your weight comparison - but as far as color no two companies or batches shared all the same suppliers - just as the powerlite PL-1 seat clamps were shinier then most any other mag product (another relic that was subject to yrs of discussion as they were usually just referred to as a mousetrap clamp and nothing else quite special) there was only one reference in a new products article and one mail order sheet that stated them to be mag.

Over the yrs this has been a subject of debate and I have always been one on the side of the mag possibility along with others that felt the same way - for one because though I have tried to muster up the literature I can't for the life of me remember what mag or newspaper reviewed them bitd and stated the 2 offered, that and the fact as a kid growing up my local Scavone's primo bike shop had a showcase they always stocked with crazy high end exotic parts, just for flash I suppose, and had a pair of what I consider the mag body displayed along side the future-x pedals and Sonlite hubs etc - they were priced at $69.99 and sat there till the shop closed in 84, when the polished ones came about were sold for less money like $35-40, I remember asking them myself what was so special about those suntours and they informed me they were mag, were they wrong maybe, am I wrong, maybe... I have searched many yrs every article, mag, periodical etc I have had access to, from 79-80 - unfortunately there isn't much literature on them - not even sales lists from mail order shops that suggest dull or polished offerings - even online postings of old Suntour catalogs fall short.

But like hutch ti-mag chrome plated hubs are still questionable - so will the definitive answer as to whether or not this style pedal is actually just dull finish or mag - seems pretty nonsensical to have offered them as dull or polished at the same time. I'd love to see some definitive proof myself.

Hi Marcos,

I can explain the differences between different mfr. "shade" of magnesium. It just a different grade of material...Profile used a lesser grade than KKT as Profile pedals and hubs degrade much more. Where as the KKT LMX do not-they maintain the same color-maybe they also coated them-not sure.

The more I look at the 2 different Suntour bodies I see that the textured one has more difinitive detail in some areas where the smooth one looks like it has been "worked" on maybe in the mold. Not sure just commenting on what I am seeing.

The only thing I am sure of is the weight difference of magnesium versus aluminum-the Profile parts I have are a great gage of this.

Regards,

Scott

it most likely is a magnesium ALLOY and the fact that there is ANY weight difference between the two types of suntours kind of proves they are different. even if the weight is minuscule. if they were the same material then they would weigh the same and i don't think the polishing takes off that much weight.

it most likely is a magnesium ALLOY and the fact that there is ANY weight difference between the two types of suntours kind of proves they are different. even if the weight is minuscule. if they were the same material then they would weigh the same and i don't think the polishing takes off that much weight.

But the pedal that would be considered magneseium (rough textured)is 3 grams heavier...I doubt that is the case. At 3 grams, the weight difference is neglible even if it were the correct pedal. :)

I really wish some one would pop up on thE scene with an actual 79 brochure or dealer catalog already - wish more guys thought to scavenge all that lost literature - I love walking into old shops and seeing 60/50 yr old file cabinets ... not just for digging out old decals folders but for finding all those lost track and road along with bmx dealer catalogs and such.

I really wish some one would pop up on thE scene with an actual 79 brochure or dealer catalog already - wish more guys thought to scavenge all that lost literature - I love walking into old shops and seeing 60/50 yr old file cabinets ... not just for digging out old decals folders but for finding all those lost track and road along with bmx dealer catalogs and such.

I hear ya Marcos as I would really like to see the back story to this. This is the stuff that really makes me tic...I love this kind of stuff. :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]:

If you look at BRISBENS pix and look at the centers of the bodies you don't see as much of a character line as you do on the "textured" version. Looks like they just smoothed out the mold to me.

The mold looks like it may have been altered if you look at the area between the black lines. If you look at both pedals you see a difinitive character line on the Textured pedal but NOT on the smooth bodies one which is also NOS so wear is NOT an issue.

011.JPG

ST1.jpg

Although not Suntour - the following image from the January 82 JBM catalogue could help explain the difference in finish which can also be seen between the KKT Lightning and the KKT Lightning II...

web.jpg?ver=13147448360001

Note that the Lightning II is described as "Light Alloy Lost Wax Process" and the Lightning as "Casting Light Alloy"

I think it highly likely that both manufacturers used similar processes which may explain the difference in texture

Although not Suntour - the following image from the January 82 JBM catalogue could help explain the difference in finish which can also be seen between the KKT Lightning and the KKT Lightning II...

web.jpg?ver=13147448360001

Note that the Lightning II is described as "Light Alloy Lost Wax Process" and the Lightning as "Casting Light Alloy"

I think it highly likely that both manufacturers used similar processes which may explain the difference in texture

I tend to agree and notice no weight difference. This would also explain that you don't see the color tone of raw Magnesium that we are used to seeing. I just thought it was a different grade of magnesium but maybe it isn't magnesium at all in many instances-KKT LMX, and in the SUNTOUR instance in particular. Cool information for sure. The texture on the SUNTOUR is more of a beaded whereas the KKT is smoother-just an FYI as I have both here with me.

I would love to see an ad also. I posted these on another site and was told they were Magnesium. The casting looks a darker gray color than any aluminum I have ever seen (more like my old magnesium vw engine block) but I would like to know for sure.

I'd assume that a magnet would stick to a magnesium body,but NOT to

an aluminum one?

They look like magnesium to me...but my eyes are nearly 70!

Bob

I would love to see an ad also. I posted these on another site and was told they were Magnesium. The casting looks a darker gray color than any aluminum I have ever seen (more like my old magnesium vw engine block) but I would like to know for sure.

I'd assume that a magnet would stick to a magnesium body,but NOT to

an aluminum one?

They look like magnesium to me...but my eyes are nearly 70!

Bob

I will check right now.

Magnets do not stick/not attracted to MAGNESIUM.

Like I said in POST # 24 it is extremely hard to refute the weight of the pedals tested...I was a quality control chemist, an R & D chemist, and a plant manager in my former life...so this was my gig.

IMHO the Suntour MP-1000 with the textured bodies and the LMX KKT's are not MAGNESIUM at all.

The textured body looks like it has been media blasted.

Regardless, the Suntour MP1000 pedals kind of lost their popularity back in the eighties, but now seem to be a lot more popular. I remember seeing them in the bike shops back then, and they were pretty expensive (they didn't sell very well back then because of the price), but now, they're respected for the quality they are.

Suntour components are great quality components. I dig them :)