Sign in to follow this  
Huntin4BMX

Old School racer at the CA State Finals...

Saw this ride today at the Orange, CA State Finals. The kid was riding it in the 9yr old Cruiser class. It's a 24" Mini.

His Dad said it was given to him by an old racing buddy. It's a Quickline, I think he said. Or maybe he said, Quicktime. I can't remember, it was 100 degrees out there and my brain was melting...

There were no serial #'s or stamps anywhere. He said the company was out of San Diego back in the 80's. Said this one was from 89 or so... Sounds kinda new for a looptail?...doesn't it?

Anyways, cool ride, on a hot hot day!

downsized_0830091315.jpg

0830091316.jpg

downsized_0830091316a.jpg

Anybody have any info on this?....

Just found this on the Museum....

more pics would be helpfull, but it could very well be a Quickline with the head angle and the loop tail, the only thing that strikes me as add is that ALL quickline were yellow. Mabee someone chromed it latter. Anyway here is some history on Quickline. The owner of Quickline bikes was named Fred Hawkins and he lived in Lake Elsonore CA. He owned the Lake Elsonore BMX track (one of my favorite tracks I loved the bridge) He stated Quickline and sold the bikes localy and stated exporting the bikes to other bikes shops in SO cal. He had a Factory Quickline team that was pretty good. Quicklines main competitors were RP Raceing (AKA Roy Piker Racing wich by the way I love to see an RP bike in the museum) and VDC. Shortly there after he sold the track in Lake elsonore and they put up a Kmart in in place. Fred Hawkins stoped the production of The Quickline shortly there after. Fred Hawkins opened a BMX track in Rancho Cucamunga CA about 2 years later that was about 10 mins from the old Elsonore track.

Yo, Greg!, I was there suffering in da heat w/you :HAWT: I wish I ran into you for a little bench racing, I was over near da gate, b-4 da 1st obstacle...

Sweet ryd BTW... :ThumbsUp:

Hey G! We almost walked that way...but stopped short in the shade by the first berm. Good racing today! Lots of crashes tho....did you see the FullertonBikes guy get knocked out for 2 min. in the 3rd heat?....I hope he's ok. Thats tough on a 40-45 yr old guy.....damn.

Wish I woulda seen ya....I did see a couple Commisionary shirts tho....thot about ya!

Next time.... :)

Dave Holtman was da rider that went down, I went over & checked on him, he just had his bell rung pretty good. He was gonna have his wife come down & pick him up jus to be on da safe side.

How did your boys do?

I hope he's good!

My boys didn't race today. :( Had stuff to do this AM and couldn't get there for it till 12:00. My 10yr old crashed at the Wed. night race during after practice and hurt his right shoulder and muscles in his arm pit area. Good thing he had his new helmet on! Cracked the carbon fiber near the mouth guard a bit....its good tho.

My older Son was pretty bummed about not racing. There were only 3 riders in 12 Novice and he could have beat them he said...2 were girls. I felt and still feel bad about not getting there to ride... :(

I remember Quicklines in Yellow, Blue, and Chrome. Very cool bikes and they always kind of reminded me of JMC's. My buddy had a chrome cruiser BITD. 3rd Gear would might have one if I'm not mistaken.

I have lusted after one for years... I remember Shane Wimberley(sp) Factory Quickline and Shawn Texas demo racing at Kearny... oh the good old days. I would sell my soul for a yellow one.

I remember Quickline in the early 90's being owned by Bob Ruple. His son Willie raced for them, and at one point, Chris Sanchez as well (Vans Triple Crown DH winner). Quicklines came in chrome, black, blue and yellow. The team eventually hooked up a deal with GT and stopped making their own frames.

Yeah I remember Shane Wimberly on one too.

It was one of those brands that you would see almost exclusively at ABA tracks

like Astron, Endo, Gold Line, ect.....

Paging Jeff (dubplatestyle)! What is this? There's a few that have popped up on the "BMXmuseum"

I dont remember Shawn on Quickline but I do remember him on Grunert (Gruenert?) which had yellow, black and gray uniforms. I left SoCal in 84-86 so I missed alot.

And as said before the team colors for Quickline were Blue, Yellow and White.

I think I met Fred once did he run the second Lake Elsinore track after the bridge track closed?

I think I even did a clinic at the second track or talked to him about doing one.