Sign in to follow this  
spokes48

Tires today

So these Tioga "PowerBlocks" came on my new MX-20... personally, I thought they sucked. Didn't like them. Changed them out for some "real" knobbies. Comments?

Wanna sell them? All the kids are using them at my track.

I just did my first race in 25+ years on an old-school Torker, complete with Comp 3s. They worked fine, but the track is smooooooooth and hard, so they aren't quite right. Plus, they run soft, which I don't think helps me compete wit the 17-18 Experts.

I think I'd like to try today's higher-pressure "slicks." I assume yours are the steel bead variety.

Wanna sell them? All the kids are using them at my track.

I just did my first race in 25+ years on an old-school Torker, complete with Comp 3s. They worked fine, but the track is smooooooooth and hard, so they aren't quite right. Plus, they run soft, which I don't think helps me compete wit the 17-18 Experts.

I think I'd like to try today's higher-pressure "slicks." I assume yours are the steel bead variety.

Yeah, they're the cheapie version, no Kevlar here on a $280 bike. Had to have Triple-Traps and a # plate anyhow. Next year they are all aluminum. I dunno 'bout selling the tires, if you lived in my town I'd probably just trade you something, otherwise it's kind of a hassle for me. Sorry. Edited by spokes48

No prob. on the sale. Had to ask.

I'll look into the Kendas. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to blow you off, honestly. I truly believe that the Tioga's don't have enough traction in REAL WORLD conditions. Asphalt berms? That's what BMX racing has come to? Whatever happened to the DIRT? Sounds an awful lot like "Street" to me. Just my opinion. EDIT: Oh yeah, our Olympic Team used these tires, right? If I remember correctly, we LOST to a Latvian whom was surely employing better (more aggresive) rubber than we were. Just conjecture on my part, though.

Edited by spokes48

Strombergs definitely doesn't run an aggressive tread. His tires look like Maxxis Grifters or something of the sort. Not to mention a less aggressive tread would offer less resistance and dR didn't get 3rd because he slid out (don't know what tires Day was running). I run the powerblocks on my cruiser on real dirt in real races w/ no issue. I'm with you on the paved corners. I really don't understand why people like them so much. For me, it takes the MX out of BMX.

I'm under the firm belief that paved turns aren't for RACERS but for track operators.

Although, with that said, it seems most of today's racers want a well groomed, smooth as glass track. I for one, don't really understand that. I guess it's called progression.

Paved turns are much easier to maintain. It makes getting the track ready for race day much quicker and less labor intensive.

That, and the TO's don't have to listen to racers bitch about rutty turns.

As someone who slid out at Rockford on a paved turn with Comp 3 style tires trying to be "aggressive" and make my main at the Midwest Nationals, there could be something to be said about a smaller tread pattern on hard tracks.

Luckily, most of my racing is done good old fashioned, modestly groomed dirt tracks.

I looked in the Olympic issue of BMX World and Maris runs a Primo tire, and from the pics, they do not appear to be a "micro" knobby. I'm sure they aren't as aggressive of tires of yore, but hardly slicks.

I think Maris could have been running Cheng Shin C-138's and still dominated.

He coulda took the tires off completely and still got a bronze.

I remember reading an article by the late Sheldon Brown which proclaimed that no tread of any kind was truly necessary on any bike... is that where BMX is headed? I hope not.

I mean, I can understand the so-called "micro-knobbies", at least they've got some "gription", but the Tiogas just seem to be superthin carcasses with overgrown sipes to me! JMO

Actually riding a set of tires under various conditions, for an extended length of time provides for more realistic conclusions on the subject. JMO

what he said ^^^

:cheers:

Well, i don't think that it takes THAT much riding to form at least some preliminary assumptions, if you will... I think that the classic "Comp III" pattern is the so-called "standard" by which all others must be judged. It's just the superlative all-around "Dirt Tire". JMO back at y'all!

Edited by spokes48

Nothing against comp III's, it's just they just aren't necessary. Not to mention heavier and softer than the tiogas. I need all the help I can get so I'm down w/ less rolling weight and less resistance. :) I'll admit I was nervous switching to micro knobs and powerblocks from regular knobby tires. Comp III's had their place, just like 19" top tubes, and the slicker tires have their place today. Run what you like and have fun is really all that matters I guess.

Side note: Steve Clark kicks the crap out of me on his Comp III's every time. I don't know... something to do with speed and skills. I might look into it.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, use what works fer ya... I'm more of a builder than a rider, so a lot of it is "looks" for me. But an overlooked tire, IMO, is the Cheng Shin "Tread-Alert" overlapping knobby sold by various "Bi-Mart" stores here in the Pacific NorthWest' I hate the "Tread-Alert" thing, but LOVE the rest of the tire. JMO!

I have to add that I think that the Kenda "Small-Block V-8's " are maybe worth a check-out.

Been using those tires and they are the best I have ever used. Tracks today are usually smooth as hell, and the less rolling resistance the better. I started out on nobbies, then I went to IRC sirens, good tire but it wears out too quick. Had holy rollers liked em but then I got the kendas- DEFENITE feel even riding on the the street. On the track I have never slid out on these like some others.

aside from knobs & tread patterns, it seems like contemporary skin is more 'round'.

look at your old school bike w the comp 3's on it and then park your new school next to it with the sirens..

newer tires have a fuller, more broad shape to them...

or am i crazy? :lol:

im an old racer and when i raced comp 3s were the shit...but now its a new world...my boy races nd he rides micro knobs...hisbike came with comp 3s its a redline flight junior he kept turning to sharp and plowing the front end with his new tires he can turn so fast it will throw him off bike before it slides"he is only 6" but my brother recently started to race again 36 and over cruiser...found a used bike built it up sarted with comps ans they were all squishy like low on air ever beyond max pressure...he now runs micro knobs and says he can do things that were completely impossible when we were kids...like switching lanes mid berm to avoid a downed rider ect.............My opinion is the comps are not built as well as they were back in the day....say mid to late 90's....

Tried "side-hilling" on the PowerBlocks... they slipped. Did the same thing with 1.95" Tiandi and Kenda "KickZumButt" street tires front and rear on my crappy Wal-Goose "K.O."... no slippage. Hmmm.

I've only recently put the Tioga Powerblocks on my cruiser, and I raced them down in Louisville. Aside from sliding out entirely in practice (carving in very low to avoid a guy in front of me who suddenly decided it would be fun to weave back and forth through the berm, arrghh), they worked fine in the races for me. I keep a set of knobbies handy, though and I go back and forth.

But I left the Maxxis knobbies on my 20" for racing class and open because of the slant of their gate. A lot of people were complaining about how 'soft' the angle was, but with the knobbies I had no problem at all balancing in my clips.

I'm 50/50 on paved berms; as a kid racing in the 80s, the only tracks back then with paved berms were in Florida and us northerners thought they were cool and exotic, lol....and while I'm glad I learned to race and ride all-dirt tracks, there's something to be said for the fun of the paved turns as well.

My Tioga tires in action....2nd place action, but hey: 2nd in my cruiser main at the Grands after 3 months back ain't too shabby... :lol:

photo.jpg

Tried "side-hilling" on the PowerBlocks... they slipped. Did the same thing with 1.95" Tiandi and Kenda "KickZumButt" street tires front and rear on my crappy Wal-Goose "K.O."... no slippage. Hmmm.

Powerblocks are race tires. It's all about the right tool for the job. Next time a side-hilling event comes to town I'm sure the locals will switch tires. Until then they'll use what works. I guess I don't understand why so many older guys won't just come out and say they have a love affair w/ Comp III's because that's what they ran in the prime of their BMX lives. No shame in that, and it's more reasonable than trying to argue against new stuff that clearly works and is widely accepted.