Sign in to follow this  
spokes48

Tires today

I use compIII's. I have since they started making them and will until they quit making them. I have nothing against new school tires other than I fear change so I'll stick with what has always worked for me. It is clear though that the new school tires do work well. You can get any tire to slide out sometimes.

I use compIII's. I have since they started making them and will until they quit making them. I have nothing against new school tires other than I fear change so I'll stick with what has always worked for me. It is clear though that the new school tires do work well. You can get any tire to slide out sometimes.

Hah, pretty sure you'd kick ass on any tire.

Hah, pretty sure you'd kick ass on any tire.

:KissAss:

Tried "side-hilling" on the PowerBlocks... they slipped. Did the same thing with 1.95" Tiandi and Kenda "KickZumButt" street tires front and rear on my crappy Wal-Goose "K.O."... no slippage. Hmmm.

Powerblocks are race tires. It's all about the right tool for the job. Next time a side-hilling event comes to town I'm sure the locals will switch tires. Until then they'll use what works. I guess I don't understand why so many older guys won't just come out and say they have a love affair w/ Comp III's because that's what they ran in the prime of their BMX lives. No shame in that, and it's more reasonable than trying to argue against new stuff that clearly works and is widely accepted.

I haven't even read the third sentence in your post and I'm already laughing... a "side-hilling convention" indeed! LOL! You're right! But to me, it's also LOOKS! Sorry. Example: I just grabbed this pic off of the 'net... thought it was a sick scoot:

DSCF0673.jpg

DSCF0675.jpg

Edited by spokes48

Tried "side-hilling" on the PowerBlocks... they slipped. Did the same thing with 1.95" Tiandi and Kenda "KickZumButt" street tires front and rear on my crappy Wal-Goose "K.O."... no slippage. Hmmm.

Powerblocks are race tires. It's all about the right tool for the job. Next time a side-hilling event comes to town I'm sure the locals will switch tires. Until then they'll use what works. I guess I don't understand why so many older guys won't just come out and say they have a love affair w/ Comp III's because that's what they ran in the prime of their BMX lives. No shame in that, and it's more reasonable than trying to argue against new stuff that clearly works and is widely accepted.

I haven't even read the third sentence in your post and I'm already laughing... a "side-hilling convention" indeed! LOL! You're right! But to me, it's also LOOKS! Sorry.

I hear you on the looks. I'm kinda wanting a Carlisle Agressor on the front of my bike. Also, I'm not kissing Steve's ass... cuz it's true. That SOB has much more speed and skill than me.

Question: are they building the tire to suit the track or or is it the other way around? People want more "action" (speed?), so I guess some stuff such as tire design is driven by self-influenced results; but eventually things tend to come full circle, and someday we'll all look back upon PowerBlocks and say, "What the hell were we thinking?"

item_compiii_25th.jpg