Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

chains

Here's an interesting nugget of information. I had a chat with a guy from Izumi here in Japan (I was hassling them to make black and silver) he eventually told me that HKK chains are made in the Izumi factory and suggested I use those.

I eventually bought some black and silver HKKs. (but the black links are on the inside as opposed to the OS Izumis where the silver links are on the inside).

HKK2.JPG

That's very interesting.

Can you still get those silver and black HKK chains?

well I'm rolling with the Izumi with no trouble.

But just to make sure I understand what you guys are saying by remove the master link... in the case of the smoker chain, where there is no typical master link... do you mean NOT use the smoker style master link with the screw and nut?

well I'm rolling with the Izumi with no trouble.

But just to make sure I understand what you guys are saying by remove the master link... in the case of the smoker chain, where there is no typical master link... do you mean NOT use the smoker style master link with the screw and nut?

Yes. You can simply eliminate the masterlink all together by joining the chain with a chain tool. This is the way it is done on multi-speed bikes because masterlinks don't do well with deraileurs. After you reset the chain pin flex the chain side to side to loosen up the new connection.

"This is the way it is done on multi-speed bikes because masterlinks don't do well with deraileurs"

and Browning 2 speeds :cool:

Here's an interesting nugget of information. I had a chat with a guy from Izumi here in Japan (I was hassling them to make black and silver) he eventually told me that HKK chains are made in the Izumi factory and suggested I use those.

I eventually bought some black and silver HKKs. (but the black links are on the inside as opposed to the OS Izumis where the silver links are on the inside).

HKK2.JPG

That's very interesting.

Can you still get those silver and black HKK chains?

yep, they still sell them.

stumbled across this thread today, while looking for an old hub thread blink.gif... not sure how I ended up here, but glad I did. I forgot about this thread. I've tried to find that bit about the HKK and Izumi being from the same mfg. before and couldn't... but tonight I just wandered into it and felt like bumping the thread.

I am glad someone posted the Sedis/Sachs/Sram story as it is a needed bit of info a lot of people don't know.

I have been very happy with Sedis Sports over the years. However I do have a habit of blowing chains to pieces no matter what kind.

The most bomb proof chain is the Acme Roller Bearing chain. Hands down!! I happily have my nos one from bitd on My Kastan.

Stephen

Sedissport chain

"Top Secret" best chain in BMX racing. Late 70's/ early 80

I heard around 1979 that if I was to run 1/2x3/32 chain,

the best would be the Sedisport chain.

It was like a top secret, underground knowledge thing.

It was never really talked about in the BMX magazines.

Yet most of the best BMX riders ran them.

I just found this little write up.

Upon its introduction in 1978, the Sedisport chain instantly rendered all of its competitors, predecessors, and contemporaries obsolete (...which is why it is difficult to find anything other than this type of chain in production even to this day). With its ingenious and revolutionary "bushingless" design, the original Sedisport 4 D not only shifted smoother than anything else on the market, it was also 30 percent stronger and more durable, had 20 percent fewer moving parts, and weighed substantially less than any previous design using the same materials.

HELLO ....

Sram ....

anyone use these ... probably the best currently made chain.

To be specific PC-1 (model) Sram.

not there isn't 1/2 doz. NOS Izumi's under the bench + used Hkk's / Sedis but

if you are actually riding get a Sram PC-1. WORD

I use a SRAM PC951 on my new racing bike. They are a bit expensive but well worth it. I've never had any trouble with it.

On another note, I've never used an HKK smoker so no help here.

I totally agree with JJ. Early in my racing career I was using Smoker chains but at the LBS I worked at, the owner who was a champion road racer in Europe told me to use a Sedis Sport chain. He told me it was lighter and cheaper than the Smoker chain. I thought I was the only one who knew about this little secret but I just learned in the last two years that Sedis 3/32 chains was very popular.

Yeah, it is. Can someone please post a close up photo of early to mid 80's Sedissport chain? I want to make sure I am using the right ones. I also need to find one :)

Back in the day,

the "one to have" Sedis Sport chain had totally flat sides.

I don't know the model name.

It was my understanding that it was the same model

that Sedis Sport had originally sold as their first chain.

I heard back in the early to late 90's

GT/ Powerlite/ Robinson/ Auburn had a huge stash of them

to be used ONLY for their sponsored BMX factory team riders.

Regarding the elimination of a master link. I do this all the time. And you can bend from side to side, to loosen it up. But I found after you use the chain tool, and push the pin into place, there is one more step. Often when you push the pin into place, and it feels like that it is binding, and you can work the pin backward or forward, until the conncetion frees itself up. Even use a magnifying glass to center the pin helps. Most of the time, after one or two tries, from either side, by moving the pin every so little, eventually the chain no longer is binding at your new connection. And a chain with no master link has less chance of coming apart under load.

I keep every bit of old chain, every time I build a bike, so I always have extra links lying around, for a gear change, or even a frame change, that requires a new length of chain.

And I keep extra pins for the chain tool, because every now and then, that little pin will give up, and bend on its own.

Sedissport chain

"Top Secret" best chain in BMX racing. Late 70's/ early 80

I heard around 1979 that if I was to run 1/2x3/32 chain,

the best would be the Sedisport chain.

It was like a top secret, underground knowledge thing.

It was never really talked about in the BMX magazines.

Yet most of the best BMX riders ran them.

I just found this little write up.

Upon its introduction in 1978, the Sedisport chain instantly rendered all of its competitors, predecessors, and contemporaries obsolete (...which is why it is difficult to find anything other than this type of chain in production even to this day). With its ingenious and revolutionary "bushingless" design, the original Sedisport 4 D not only shifted smoother than anything else on the market, it was also 30 percent stronger and more durable, had 20 percent fewer moving parts, and weighed substantially less than any previous design using the same materials.

+1 to this. These chains were awesome. In fact, I still have one on my JMC:

PictureJMC001.jpg

The PC850 (870, 890 as well) is a "sort-of" modern evolution of the 3/32" Sedis Sport. 8 Speed is the last 3/32" width (9 speed is narrower).

I saw the PC1 mentioned...Not a fan of this chain; it almost killed me. If you use this chain and it starts throwing - even when it is tight and aligned - ditch it. It sucks.

KMC Z510HX is a great 1/8" chain too.