Sign in to follow this  
jawz13

1976 AMF Evel Knievel

I picked up this bike off CL last week. It has all the original parts, including tires. I am looking at beginning restoration as soon as I have time. If anyone has any tips on restoring the plastic parts please let me know. The front fender is a tiny bit brittle but the rest just need to be brightened up. The chrome has some surface rust that I think I can remove easily. I am also looking for NOS or repop decals, as all on them are in pretty bad shape.

1976AMFEK001.jpg

1976AMFEK006.jpg

1976AMFEK003.jpg

1976AMFEK002.jpg

1976AMFEK008.jpg

1976AMFEK004.jpg

1976AMFEK009.jpg

1976AMFEK011.jpg

Edited by 78WebcoReplica

cool bike.

I am still kicking myself a little for not picking up one @ a local flea market a few years ago..

At the time I had wayyy too many bikes anyways..

Cool part of BMX ya got right there

Thats the beauty of the bike, its all original. If you replace the decals, they would look out of place with the beat finish of the original white

Leave it as is and enjoy it for what it is .Since you already mentioned that you are going to sell it.

Might as well let the new owner decide its fate :NoBS:

Thats the beauty of the bike, its all original. If you replace the decals, they would look out of place with the beat finish of the original white

Leave it as is and enjoy it for what it is .Since you already mentioned that you are going to sell it.

Might as well let the new owner decide its fate :NoBS:

I was planning on repainting and cleaning up the chrome, as well as putting on new decals.

That bike is too nice for a full restore. Clean the chrome, polish the paint, clean all the small bits and pieces and it will be done. Those decals are in pretty nice shape.

Definitely worth more to me as it is vs new paint and all....

Sweet bike.

Welcome to the site....you will find lots of "preservationists" here... :)

I'm usually indifferent about the restoration topic, but this bike having survived this long is a miracle.

Department store bikes were NEVER meant to last. They were basically toys.

The fact that it is most, if not all original, is a testemant to it's owners. If you did restore it, it would lose it's "miracle survivor" status.

A full restore would actually cheapen it's appeal in my opinion.

I picked up the Huffy version last year since it was my first "real" bike, and I haven't done anything to it but clean it up a little.

I had a copy of this bike from Western Auto. It was a little bigger, but it was definately a knock off, they just could not use the EK name, just stars/stripes moto tank, side panels, fenders etc.

Honest, this bike looks pretty dang cool the way it is!

I appreciate and understand what you guys are saying. The pictures show the condition exactly as I picked it up from the seller. I think I can get most of the grime and rust off without too much effort. Thank you all for your comments and interest in my bike.

Edited by 78WebcoReplica

.......I got a 'cape'....and "stars and stripes" full face helmet.......When you are ready....,when you are ready....!

i'd head to vegas and jump the fountain at ceasars! a little fountain mist will help clean it also. :Liv2ride:

I had the Huffy version of this bike back in 1976, wish I could find it today.

extreme coolness on the find.

That bike is too nice for a full restore. Clean the chrome, polish the paint, clean all the small bits and pieces and it will be done. Those decals are in pretty nice shape.

Definitely worth more to me as it is vs new paint and all....

Sweet bike.

Welcome to the site....you will find lots of "preservationists" here... :)

+1

I have an original 1977 BMX bike that was my brothers. He passed away from a brain tumor when he was 7 and never finished learning how to ride it. It is in original condition but is rough. It’s the last thing i have that was his and would like to have it restored. Does anyone know where I may get this done. I’ve been holding on to it for the last 43 years.

I think most of the members here do all there own work and I would encourage you to do the same if you can. If you are not mechanical now is the time to learn and there is always you tube.

I would guess that the bike needs nothing more than a good detail clean up. I am a fan of it is only original once, so as you clean it be careful not to damage finishes, stickers etc.

If you really want to hire the work out,  you might reach out to a member here who is within driving distance of your location and work something out.

Good luck!

yes, we encourage to NOT get it repainted or chromed.  there's easy ways to get things clean again.   people here can help walk you through it.

where are you located?  like mentioned, we probably have members close by you to help.   if you're in the so cal area....i will.