Sign in to follow this  
sexnbmx

Odd Mongoose with an IRON CROSS Gusset????

Is it called an iron cross or a blue max.....any story on this one would help?

Thanks guys

BIG_BMX_SCORE_045.JPG

mmmmmmmm i likeee .

i was told the Blue Max was only sold at military bases.

Yes, sort of like the situation with the Roger DeCoster bikes sold in Schwinn Shops. I guess Schwinn didn't allow the mongoose to be sold in their shops or else it would hurt Scrambler sales.

Cool little pick up you got there..

What is the serial number?

PS: Also I have a working theory that Blue Max's are most often found in towns with a large Military base/community. Where did you find that one? I found one in a thrift store 5 miles from Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City Florida.

Nice! I have a newer survivor Blue Max complete bike. As far as I know, the were only available at PX and BX and some small auto stores in the midwest

Skip Hess sold the "Blue Max" line directly to retail suppliers for US military bases, including US bases in Europe. It was an "economical" version of the Mongoose that all military personnel and their families could "afford".

Another clever marketing angle that made Skip and the BMX Products line so successful worldwide.

Totally interesting.....Wow.....Thanks guys

I've been after one of these for a while now - If you are moving it on let me know :)

Yes, sort of like the situation with the Roger DeCoster bikes sold in Schwinn Shops. I guess Schwinn didn't allow the mongoose to be sold in their shops or else it would hurt Scrambler sales.

PS: Also I have a working theory that Blue Max's are most often found in towns with a large Military base/community. Where did you find that one? I found one in a thrift store 5 miles from Tyndall Air Force Base in Panama City Florida.

Yes....I did find it in San Diego where there are a LOT of military ........Hummm

Serial # is D105708

With serial number like that I beieve it would be an '81. ( someone chime in ... )

The fact that you have the og nickle plated fork for it makes it all the sweeter.

Nothing is nicer than nickle ... chrome is too much " bling bling ".

I'd like to do another bmxa product in nickle myself ... one day.

Nice score bro ! Keep it .... parts are pretty redily avail for those and economical depending on what your planning to do with it.

If you need any parts holla ... I have a few era correct items for '78 - '81 BMXA stuff.

Rob

They were definitely sold in some small stores in the mid-west and other areas east of CA. I remember seeing them in Otasco stores in Oklahoma as a kid. Nice bike Scott!

I found one of these  bikes  this last week mixed in a pile of 500 bikes it has some rust on it nothing  that cant be cleaned  up. The number on the bottom is H2000299 any info  would be great

5 minutes ago, Bellevuebmx said:

I found one of these  bikes  this last week mixed in a pile of 500 bikes it has some rust on it nothing  that cant be cleaned  up. The number on the bottom is H2000299 any info  would be great

20200617_061557.jpg

20200617_061608.jpg

• Like 1

August 1982 build.

Are you looking at selling the frame?