Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolRay

The ABA - Good Folk or $ Hungry Bully?

what do you think, Shannon? How about you, Bill C?

:P

I've never had a bad experience with the ABA. But I've never had any experience at all with the NBL or other sanctions.

Also I am not a present day racer ... so I think those of us who don't race might have a hard time giving a qualified opinion.

I should get back on the track. :Liv2ride:

I raced ABA back in the 80s in Tx, but that was my only look into the ABA world.. The biggest difference between ABA & /NBL is that the ABA is honest about the money, NBL was more about hiding/keeping the funds..

The ABA is a for profit business and doesn't try & hide it, so they are honest & still provide a great product... Ask me off line about what I have seen in the NBL.... FTR, I at one time was very close to people in the NBL and saw some things 1st hand...

I have raced NPSA, ABA, NBL the what ever they called it to raced the Worlds.... But, I currently am not racing (but wish I was)

I paid $100 to attend the San Diego Freestyle HOF event however my Mother fell ill forcing me to stay home and not attend the event. That said, I called the day before the event and left a voice mail message with the person responsible for accepting monies for this event. After five days no return call or email. I called again five days later and finally my emails/calls were answered. My email/voice mail message I stated that I wanted my money back or I would file a complaint with Paypal and post about this on the Forums. However, the ABA did offer to return half or $50 but I refused. I want a full refund ($100) returned. I've now been forced to make a formal complaint with Paypal to resolve this matter. This is the reason I opened this Thread. All this said, in my opinion, the ABA could have returned my call/email the following day or the 2nd day at latest and with the press of a button return my money no muss no fuss. They did neither. Now I am waiting for Paypal to make a final decision on the matter.

Edited by OldSchoolRay

Ray, a day before the event? I'm sorry about yer mom but would ticketmaster return your Air Supply ticket money a day before the big show with the same excuse? It's a business and that's how the world goes brother. For you to even open a dispute is wrong and a $50 credit is $50 more than you're owed IMO with all due respect of course.

I thought it was stipulated that the tickets were non-refundable. Even if it wasn't, canceling the day before negates any dispute (regardless of the reason) My opinion only, take the $50 and know that the other $50 is going to a scholarship for a BMXer

:unsure: I'm a bit confused...what exactly do you expect PayPal to do regarding this matter?

All they did was to handle the money transaction. It doesn't seem to me that there's

anything they could possibly do about 'getting you your money back!'

It's unfortunate that your Mother took ill...but that's REALLY your problem,NOT the

ABA's! There's undoubtedly 'small print' somewhere regarding their events and the

refunding/returning of monies paid.

My thought is that 'you would have been better off' accepting their offer of the

return of half your money! As far as them not returning your calls or Emails goes,

far too many businesses today 'place little value on good customer service'-which

'contacting you promptly' WOULD have been-regardless of what they say! It's very

unfortunate...but it's true!

Most people that 'such things were important to' are retired today...and the people

that run 'a good number' of the businesses today don't seem 'too concerned' that their

business will actually 'suffer much' if they fail to treat people in the same manner that

'old school businesses used to!' Again...sad but true!

I doubt you'll get any satisfaction out of this! Sorry... :hug:

I dunno Ray. It seems like with your subject and the original post in this thread, you were fishing for some ABA bashers to sympathize with you. If you've got a problem with something -- just come out and say it. Don't beat around the bush... it seems kinda sneaky.

It would have been nice for the ABA to call you right back, sure. But they have a business to run. I doubt they have a specific department to handle customer complaints, and they were in the 11th hour of planning a major event. This isn't a massive corporation with 1000's or even 100's of employees at the corporate office. I'm sure a majority of the corporate ABA staff was at the event setting up.

If you bought tickets to any other similar event, would you expect your money back if you couldn't make it for some reason? If you had tickets to a game, or a concert, or the MTV VMA's or shoot, even a professional sport's Hall of Fame ceremony -- do you think you would be able to get a refund because your car broke down, you just didn't feel like going, or in your case, the unfortunate situation of a close relative falling ill?

I have to admit -- if my mother fell ill, the last thing I would be thinking about is how I can get my money back from the event the ABA was holding for the HOF. And knowing that this was a fund raising event in the first place, I'd realize that anything I paid for was going to be given to someone in need, and I therefore wouldn't want to take that away from them. Maybe that's just me though...

Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she makes a quick recovery.

Ray,

Sorry your mom is ill. This was a limited-seating event, meaning that when you got your tickets, you excluded someone else from going. Calling at the last minute (for whatever reason) means that the promoter of the event might not be able to sell the ticket at all. Not only that, but instead of calling and asking for help, you came out with both guns blazing by declaring you would file a complaint with PayPal if you didn't get your money back... :blink:

And what, exactly, is the basis for your complaint to PayPal? Did the promoter not deliver what was promised on your ticket?

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

As far as the ABA being too busy to return your call is concerned...

The ABA had three major events happening in San Diego.

1) Hall of Fame event at the Hall Of Champions (20 miles away from the Olympic Training Center)

which was the biggest they have ever thrown

2) The UCI race at the Olympic Training Center

3) The National race at the Olympic Training Center

Plus............

4) Setting up the new Hall of Fame museum at the Olympic Training Center

I know for a fact, they brought over a complete second crew of people to be able to handle everything.

First off let me convey my sympathies to you in regards to your mother falling ill. Also let me apologize ahead of time if what I am about to say comes off too harsh or blunt. It’s just a simple statement of fact and nothing more.

Simply put: It’s not the ABA’s fault.

It’s not the ABA’s fault your mother took Ill.

It’s not the ABA’s fault you could not attend the HOF event because your mother took ill.

The ABA is not responsible because you had to change your plans and could not go to the HOF event.

The ABA is not responsible for life issues that happen outside of its control to people that bought tickets to an ABA event.

The ABA sold you a ticket to an event that took place at the date, time and place specified on the ticket. An event that you opted not to attend.

In other words, the ABA is not responsible for your personal life. The simple fact the ABA offered to refund half of what you gave to what was essentially a charity event speaks volumes in the ABA’s favor. But the simple fact that you asked for a refund for a ticket that was essentially for a charity event does not bode well for your character in my opinion. Especially since you state money is not the issue.

I venture that you should take some time to rethink this. :unsure:

+1000 . i could not have said it better myself .

I agree Sorry about your mother Ray. Take the $50 refund and consider it a good loss.

Well, I won.... :)

Paypal decided and I got a full refund, just as I suspected. Thank you Paypal for doing the right thing and hopefully the ABA has learned a valuable lesson to refund people's money promptly. All the ABA had to do is 5 seconds of clicking to refund me, but they had to drag it out with dramatics, stalling my refund for about 30 days.

One thing I've learned is Paypal is fair commerce!

If you buy a rock concert ticket but you miss the concert for whatever reason , should you get your money back?? :no: Go gloat somewhere else!

Paypal decided and I got a full refund, just as I suspected. Thank you Paypal for doing the right thing and hopefully the ABA has learned a valuable lesson to refund people's money promptly. All the ABA had to do is 5 seconds of clicking to refund me, but they had to drag it out with dramatics, stalling my refund for about 30 days.

Scamming the ABA out of $100 is justice?...what an Ass Hole

There...now you can stop posting here too.

Actually it cements my already ill feelings toward Paypal. I think you made a shitbird move. You can't clearly or honestly rebut any analogy used in this entire thread. 20 people told you they disagreed and you tear in here to claim victory? I can only imagine your everyday expectations in life.

Do you order a double whopper and when you started to get full, march up to the counter and try to get a refund for the two bites you left along with the pickles?

2 things should happen here,

1. Ray should get kicked in the nuts for being a turd tickler and wanting his money back from a charity. Especially since it wasn't the ABA's fault he couldn't go.

2. Paypal should get kicked in the nuts for giving him his money back.

You won? You think so?

The ABA has learnt a valuable lesson from someone like you?

And they "dragged it out with dramatics"? Like you come on here whinging like a little school kid who dropped his icecream? As stated previously, it appears your ticket stated "Non Refundable", but of course, the rules probably to everyone else but you.

What is it with some people these days...

*Disclaimer* I am a lamoid who has never required the services of the ABA. But I think they got stiffed here...