Sign in to follow this  
modman

Red 86 RL20II

Hello everyone, anyone ever built an RL20II exact to this picture? I've yet to see one and I'm almost complete on the build to this exact bike. Just need a couple minor parts but it's 99% done. When it gets done I'll post the picture of it. img106.jpg

Wow $$$$.

Hopefully you had most of the parts.

when I look at the pic I see:

Seat $$$

Cranks $$$

Plate and bars $$$

Hell even the pegs are $$

not to mention frame/fork/tires/dc 1000's?, chrome headset..

This would cost a fortune to build from "spare parts" lol

According to that ad, chrome was an option. I never knew that.

Wow $$$$.

Hopefully you had most of the parts.

when I look at the pic I see:

Seat $$$

Cranks $$$

Plate and bars $$$

Hell even the pegs are $$

not to mention frame/fork/tires/dc 1000's?, chrome headset..

This would cost a fortune to build from "spare parts" lol

Wait till you see the bike, guaranteed to blow you away! heck I'm even surprised myself how exact the bike will be. I'm still waiting on the little parts to come in like the chrome allen center bolt. All the detail down to the different color triangles on both the crank and frame decals are done. The stickers are not replicas but the factory originals. The replicas have flaws I can tell. I've even purchased ones from AJK bikes just to compare and I can tell the difference and it's very noticeable especially the color. I've been saving for quite some time for this unique build. I haven't seen another like it ever. Close by perhaps 75% but not good enough to replicate to the finest detail of this bike. I can't wait to post it once it's done. I'm hoping in about a couple weeks everything will come to place by then. I'm having replica forklifter plates made and they are better than anything I have seen. They are dimensional meaning they have the edge and the Redline word in the middle. I will post pics soon. The single plate alone took a day and a half to create the dimensions of the plate and 1.5 hours to cut. RL owners will love me for my contributions in good time. I'm a total RL 20/ RL20II fan so when I build these complete bikes, I make sure they will be museum quality and I pay really close attention to detail. I've owned a few RL's back in the early to mid eighties and even glad I kept pics of my bikes to compare originality so I know exactly what came on these bikes so when I build them up. they look exactly like the day it went on the showroom floor. This unique red RL 20II is not the actual production bike but RL's build as the decals are different on the frame, fork, cranks, bottom bracket, as well as the number plate. That is exactly how the bike I'm building will look. It will be 100% the replica when it gets done. You are correct, it is my most expensive bike build to date, can it be replicated again? yes but it will be hard to get all original parts and even more so, the exact factory stickers! I'm glad I saved a lot of parts from over 2 decades ago. Stay tuned!

Please seriously consider marking your reproduction plates in some way so they can never be passed off as original in the future.

Cool,

I too am a rl20II fan.

I have a 1985 rl20a that Is a "caprpet queen" more like "closet slut".

Lol,

I just got the correct seat for it.

Going to enter it for boty..

I was a haro guy bitd.. but always liked powerlites/redlines too..

my twin bro was a cw guy lol (he was more of the bmx'r and I was more of the skater ;- ).

but we both bmx'd our paper routes on our 86 sport and his 89 cali shaker.

Cool,

I too am a rl20II fan.

I have a 1985 rl20a that Is a "caprpet queen" more like "closet slut".

Lol,

I just got the correct seat for it.

Going to enter it for boty..

I was a haro guy bitd.. but always liked powerlites/redlines too..

my twin bro was a cw guy lol (he was more of the bmx'r and I was more of the skater ;- ).

but we both bmx'd our paper routes on our 86 sport and his 89 cali shaker.

I've always loved the RL20II for their high strength frame build. Their freestyle frames are simple yet ingeniously built to strength to weight ratio. I've had GT/ Dyno before it but still the RL is my favorite. I remember when I was riding my RL20II down the sidewalk really fast and got into an accident when a truck pulled out of the driveway really fast without looking, I hit the hood and the RL got ran over. I was thinking OH no! my bike! I was not hurt but the driver was in a state of shock and asked me if I needed medical help, I was only thinking about the bike! I couldn't believe the frame stayed true and only minor concussions so it survived being ran over by a truck. That is when I truly realized the strength of this frame and fork.

Please seriously consider marking your reproduction plates in some way so they can never be passed off as original in the future.

I'm with this guy :) (hey Mike) Cool build but lets focus on what's important here...the integrity of this hobby, please sacrifice a small amount of detail in order to save yourself as well as others from future deception.

This is an on going problem in this hobby and it doesn't go over well on this site that said I look forward to seeing your replica in all it's glory :)

I'm with this guy :) (hey Mike) Cool build but lets focus on what's important here...the integrity of this hobby, please sacrifice a small amount of detail in order to save yourself as well as others from future deception.

This is an on going problem in this hobby and it doesn't go over well on this site that said I look forward to seeing your replica in all it's glory :)

Well, you can always tell the difference between an original plate from a replica assuming you are into Redlines and I have no intentions to deceive anybody as that is not my style and I did mention I'm building one like the ad. I build bikes that satisfies me and not for anyone else. I think it's cool for those who've not seen a bike like that of that era to see what it looks like in person. It's just like building a vintage car and everyone has their intentions that suits them for why they do so. Fun stuff but memorable.

I'm sure your bike will be nice but after seeing Shinglehead's Club Homeboy RL20II and RL's personal Hazard Yellow RL20II in person everything else pales in comparison.

I'm sure your bike will be nice but after seeing Shinglehead's Club Homeboy RL20II and RL's personal Hazard Yellow RL20II in person everything else pales in comparison.

Both totally bad ass, but Marcus' white RL20II is my all time favorite Redline.

:fuel: :Creepin:

fuck it Trev he won't even take the time to post a stupid picture instead he'd rather choose what replies he wants to address and side step the issue at hand so I'm keeping it real. I've been doing this too long to fake the funk

how hard is it to build a bike that is pictured in front of you ? It's like a model with a build sheet no creativity what so ever. I like bikes that express a collectors vision not duplicates someone else's idea but from what I've seen it's this guys style so whatever

fuck it Trev he won't even take the time to post a stupid picture instead he'd rather choose what replies he wants to address and side step the issue at hand so I'm keeping it real. I've been doing this too long to fake the funk

how hard is it to build a bike that is pictured in front of you ? It's like a model with a build sheet no creativity what so ever. I like bikes that express a collectors vision not duplicates someone else's idea but from what I've seen it's this guys style so whatever

I couldn't agree more... you know that :wink:

I couldn't agree more... you know that :wink:

Damn, you guys are really hatin! This red RL is the only bike I'm building to the ad for nostalgic reasons. I own a few RL's, a couple survivors in real good shape, and one RL20II I built for a rider. Some of my bikes can be viewed at BMX Museum. I'm not at home to take a pic of the back, I'm still at work. Is it that important you need to see it now? I just explained "READ MY WORDS" I'll say it again, even if I took the picture of the back, you can't see much but just white, it is a matte finish though. I'll take the pic and post it since it means so much for you.

"fuck it Trev he won't even take the time to post a stupid picture instead he'd rather choose what replies he wants to address and side step the issue at hand so I'm keeping it real. I've been doing this too long to fake the funk "

If that is the way you keep it real then you need to check yourself again because you got it all wrong.

"How hard is it to build a bike that is pictured in front of you ? It's like a model with a build sheet no creativity what so ever. I like bikes that express a collectors vision not duplicates someone else's idea but from what I've seen it's this guys style so whatever"

Who said it was hard? it takes time and money. I used to freestyle and I have actual bike builds that suited my needs. Tell me, how long have you truly been into bikes? I have a good collection of bikes and those who have seen it would not even have mentioned any negative words like you've mentioned. Everyone who has seen my collection had not one bad comment to make because I have different builds from almost picture perfect, great survivor condition, and rider bikes. I not only was a bike mechanic but also a rider as well.

" I'm sure your bike will be nice but after seeing Shinglehead's Club Homeboy RL20II and RL's personal Hazard Yellow RL20II in person everything else pales in comparison"

I'm not here to compete in who has the best RL by the way, just showing for those who can appreciate a nostalgic build. If you want to see rider bikes you can see them in the BMX Museum. I just got onto this site so give me time. Everyone likes to rush but watch your comments before making judgment. Because you'll be proven wrong.

Some of my bikes can be viewed at BMX Museum.

what a shock

I'm not here to compete in who has the best RL by the way

could'a fooled me

quote taken from BMXmuseum

"Wait till you see my next RL that will be posted soon, it will be the first of its kind original to the RL ad. I've put a lot of $$$ and good time into it. I don't mess around when I have a project and money was no object to this build. It will surely be eye candy"

don't go sucking your own dick yet I checked out your bikes over at the museum nothing to go gah gah over

and don't put into question my involvement with BMX...I go to sleep and forget more about this shit then you'll ever know. Your fucking with all the wrong people

I could give a shit about your pictures and/or your plates. You want abrasive you got it ace

and where exactly did you confirm that the black plate was never made ? There are far to many anomalies in this hobby to take anything for granted

I'm not here to compete in who has the best RL by the way

could'a fooled me

quote taken from BMXmuseum

"Wait till you see my next RL that will be posted soon, it will be the first of its kind original to the RL ad. I've put a lot of $$$ and good time into it. I don't mess around when I have a project and money was no object to this build. It will surely be eye candy"

don't go sucking your own dick yet I checked out your bikes over at the museum nothing to go gah gah over

and don't put into question my involvement with BMX...I go to sleep and forget more about this shit then you'll ever know. Your fucking with all the wrong people

I could give a shit about your pictures and/or your plates. You want abrasive you got it ace

and where exactly did you confirm that the black plate was never made ? There are far to many anomalies in this hobby to take anything for granted

Dude, what is your problem? I come to this site and the only thing you share is bad words. So you got a lot of involvement with BMX, I never questioned that but it doesn't mean anything to me if all you can say are bashing words. My bikes may not be much to gah gah over for you but that is your opinion. I like my builds and so do many others who can share the same thoughts. If this is the way you get involved with BMX I can only see a short following. Isn't it late in New Joyzeee

"Your fucking with all the wrong people"

You're the only one continuing all the crap talk, see what the moderator thinks about it. Speak for yourself... I believe there are people here who know won't agree with you. I did nothing wrong, never said anything untrue or any foul language like you did so how do you go along on this site trash talking. I think you only have a small following of bashers but you seem to be so committed to bash on me. Anyway I posted the pic of the back plate. I didn't do it for you as you may wish to think. I have nothing to prove to you, a common sense person can make good judgment just from reading my comments. You obviously don't read well. I've said it before, I did not come to this site to start any flames and even though some may think I did, read my comments. This posting is not for bashers like you. It was intended for people who are kind enough to share and have common sense to not make flame comments. At least I read and followed the guidelines of this site before I signed on. Shows well you don't read carefully. Hey no worries, I don't hate you even though you hate me. Can you quit the bashing so I can try to talk to those who have the same interest?

Wow, this post certainly took unexpected direction. That being said.. I look forward to seeing the build. That bike in that ad was definitely considered a "holy grail".. right up there with the green haro master for me!

Wow, this post certainly took unexpected direction. That being said.. I look forward to seeing the build. That bike in that ad was definitely considered a "holy grail".. right up there with the green haro master for me!

Thanks for your interest, I will like I said will post the pictures once completed. It really is not easy as some may think to reproduce this build. The parts are not easy to come by and when they do, it's going to be very costly. I've explained this before in the past, it takes a lot of time and money, time I don't have much of so the expense is there. The Haro Master is a very nice frame build with a lot of details to make a strong frame. I like bikes with a well thought out frame build. I'm not too fond of simple bends of a build. Thus there are many freestyle bikes with a lot of time into the build like the Quadangle and Trickstar. Unbelievable how much the Hutch owners are asking for on the parts. I've seen cranks for $3K, pedals for over $3K and so on. I'm glad I found a friend from awhile back who is also on this site who also shares the same experience in the Freestyle Redlines. I like a lot of old bikes due to fond memories of them but my big involvement was freestyle back in the early to mid eighties, I remember meeting Robert Peterson of Skyway who taught me the sideway surf. Things like that and doing freestyle shows at Golden Gate Park and so on. As most people, we regret selling them and now being older, we miss them and want them back. If things go as planned, the bike should be finished in a couple weeks or less. I'm still waiting for an oversea shipment that is overdue, I hope it is not lost.

Both totally bad ass, but Marcus' white RL20II is my all time favorite Redline.

Scott - thanks for the very high praise man! i'm honored!

Thanks for your interest, I will like I said will post the pictures once completed. It really is not easy as some may think to reproduce this build. The parts are not easy to come by and when they do, it's going to be very costly. I've explained this before in the past, it takes a lot of time and money, time I don't have much of so the expense is there. The Haro Master is a very nice frame build with a lot of details to make a strong frame. I like bikes with a well thought out frame build. I'm not too fond of simple bends of a build. Thus there are many freestyle bikes with a lot of time into the build like the Quadangle and Trickstar. Unbelievable how much the Hutch owners are asking for on the parts. I've seen cranks for $3K, pedals for over $3K and so on. I'm glad I found a friend from awhile back who is also on this site who also shares the same experience in the Freestyle Redlines. I like a lot of old bikes due to fond memories of them but my big involvement was freestyle back in the early to mid eighties, I remember meeting Robert Peterson of Skyway who taught me the sideway surf. Things like that and doing freestyle shows at Golden Gate Park and so on. As most people, we regret selling them and now being older, we miss them and want them back. If things go as planned, the bike should be finished in a couple weeks or less. I'm still waiting for an oversea shipment that is overdue, I hope it is not lost.

what pedals went for 3k? Also if your making an exact replica why is plate not black?

Marcus I hope you know just how much I dig your RL that thing is just crazy dope ! I was just making an example of the caliber of bikes we've seen in the past few years but out of the member builds we've seen yours ROCKS no doubt ! :)

Oh and Wayne I don't think he even knows what a real one looks like on the back of the plate which is why he didn't understand us asking to see the back of his fake one

and he didn't do it in black because he knew no one would believe it was real when he finds a replacement and goes to sell the fake

$3K for pedals? When? Where? Not doubting you, just curious.