Sign in to follow this  
z-man99

small scale score tonight

I was able to get away for a couple of hours tonight. Met up with a pretty cool cat who had a factory ride with Boss in the late 80's. He still has 3 of his factory Boss rides, including a cruiser that was a hand me down from Darwin Griffin in 1987 and a prototype frame that was a work of art. 0I had no idea what to offer him for the cruiser, but I didn't walk away empty handed. Ended up throwing this little guy in the trunk.

IMG_4611.jpg

gold inverted stem and gjs forks!!!! nice pickup! :ThumbsUp:

I would call that a huge score, sometimes huge scores are small in size.

Will

This was his first race bike. He said he bought it in 1980 as a bright red anodized frame. The bars are Powerlight but they don't have the bends in the grip area. Does that make them an earlier version?

I didn't realize they were GJS forks. I thought maybe they were a junior version of Race inc forks. Did GJS sell a mini or junior fork, or are they all the same?

Great score... that stem is awesome!!!!

I'm not sure, but I thought (most) GJS race forks had an upward concave shaped end cap on the bottom of the fork leg, as well as a having the dropout tabs stick out just a tad (front and back of the fork).

Here's a pic of mine for comparison.

:)

gjs_forks.jpg

very cool race inc. frame and fork-I had (and broke) one right at the bottom of the downtube gusset.

I'd love to see that Boss

Also, what was the guy's name? My buddy raced for Boss in so cal too, and thought I'd let him know.