Sign in to follow this  
modman

Redline Freestyle Forklifter Plate

I got fed up waiting for one to show up for sale so I had a couple made. Was not cheap but worth it considering how much time I spent searching for one. I have an RL that is in need for one for so long and finally I can crown it. These are not like the foam plastic version that is just routed out and have the dimensional raised edge. The only thing not raised is the logo and it engraved but no big deal as these look freakin fantastic no matter how you look at it. Holes line up perfect and all. The lower part is textured from the milling but it is so minor of a deal. I'm very happy with the result and the only thing better is the real thing so this is as good as it get next to the real deal. Let me know how you like they way they look.

IMG_3726.JPG

any pics of the back

hope these aren't problematic for you in the future

Egh, congrats for not having the patience waiting for the real deal.

Enjoy your fake part.

I got fed up waiting for one to show up for sale so I had a couple made. Was not cheap but worth it considering how much time I spent searching for one. I have an RL that is in need for one for so long and finally I can crown it. These are not like the foam plastic version that is just routed out and have the dimensional raised edge. The only thing not raised is the logo and it engraved but no big deal as these look freakin fantastic no matter how you look at it. Holes line up perfect and all. The lower part is textured from the milling but it is so minor of a deal. I'm very happy with the result and the only thing better is the real thing so this is as good as it get next to the real deal. Let me know how you like they way they look.
Looks great, wish I could be excited about it. Is it marked in any way as a repop? :blink:

Hmm.. I agree with the lads..

you may be showing some skill and pride with these plates..

but we (as a group collectively) see them as hostile territory..

these are some shark infested waters..

and "repops" are not taken kindly round these here parts.

Some of you can think what you want but don't flame me here. So some of you are lucky enough to get a real plate, good for you but it means absolutely nothing to me. There are a lot of people who can't find these plates and you know what, when I come across a nice one you bet I'll buy it for my other RL, but until then this is the best substitute and it's better than a home made routed version. Anyone got one for sale that is mint? Got anything that would be a better second choice? I'd rather have one that looks close to the original and I'm sure most will agree. By the way yes you can tell the difference between the ones I had made for me and the original, even a blind person can tell the difference, but visually and physically a stout plate. I know it is not possible to replicate the original exactly and it was never intended that way, this was made in a unique way were it looks very close but you can tell the difference. For those who can't tell, the logo is flushed, the lower panel is grained, the sticker is not one piece color, the material is not the soft injected plastic. Other than that, it looks fantastic anyway you look at it. This is just a fun project that I'm sharing, there is no need to bring in the sharks, it will stink up the water fast. There are a lot of people that will find nothing wrong on my sharing and there are those who like spoiling the waters for others. If this site is only intended for only oem parts talk then no problem, I won't talk about the plate then. Can't anyone give a new guy a break? Someone got a new plate for sale?

Modman, welcome here. Just know that some folks are ignorant to these plates or have forgotten what the real deal looks like. If these wound up in the hands of one of those individuals and they thought it was the real deal, that is the danger. The other sites cater to anything goes, here we do not. This site is the purists/hardcore site. There are those who don't get it and linger around and bitch about it being this way. They are free to do so.

Repop soft goods happen, just be responsible and mark them so that they are as such in some ineffaceable way and us purist assholes won't bitch so much.

Again welcome to the site, don't let this spoil the experience here.

Modman, welcome here. Just know that some folks are ignorant to these plates or have forgotten what the real deal looks like. If these wound up in the hands of one of those individuals and they thought it was the real deal, that is the danger. The other sites cater to anything goes, here we do not. This site is the purists/hardcore site. There are those who don't get it and linger around and bitch about it being this way. They are free to do so.

Repop soft goods happen, just be responsible and mark them so that they are as such in some ineffaceable way and us purist assholes won't bitch so much.

Again welcome to the site, don't let this spoil the experience here.

Appreciate your explanation. I did explain the difference from the start so I never had any intention to try to fool anyone that this is the real deal, I only wanted to show what I had made for me and see how everyone liked it. I talked to my machinist when I was having them made and he told me he is only doing this for me with the logo and if he made anymore it won't have the logo in the middle. They take a lot of machine time so that is why I only asked for only what I needed for myself. In fact if anyone wanted one it would not have any Redline logo or sticker on it. You would have to put it on yourself. If anyone still can't tell the difference, well that is not my fault if one can't tell there is no Redline logo on it. It's like buying a Shimano DX pedal and there is no Shimano logo but we know the difference, and those who don't most likely don't care anyway. If we were trying to buy the real thing we would already know what the real deal looks like or even ask, common sense. I know about selling laws as a multiple business owner of our own products. I'm just here to share my hobby and I'm sure there will be many who would enjoy what I have to share. With very little time I have I do spend the time for those who share the same interest. For those who don't they can keep it to themselves and not be hostile about it. Mentioning how I got fed up with waiting for someone to sell a plate, I've spent so much time looking for one, in fact more time than what it's worth. I've emailed to a lot of people and even those who have them and they don't reply back in regards if they want to sell it. I just did the next best thing until I can get a new one and I'm happy with what the result was. Finding parts is not easy and very time consuming, unfortunately time is not on my side. I do need help finding a couple minor parts such as a chrome allen head center bolt for the front and rear Nippon brake calipers and I'm near completed on my build.

This type of thread always makes me laugh. If you are willing to post photos online of a repop item, and are willing to accept the accolades if there are any, you must also be willing to accept the criticism that may arise. There's no need to get all pissy cause people aren't falling all over themselves over something that i'm sure took a lot of time to build. No one said they sucked, you don't need to get so offended.

I have no time for all the pm's and rubbish a simple picture of the back of the plate will clear up this whole matter and we can make with the congratulatory speeches

I think the plate looks dope and I know from personal experience how hard they are to come by. I do not care... it does not justify exact copies which I doubt we are dealing with here. All I'm saying is a picture will save us a million words. Don't get discouraged this is the most core group of vintage collectors and we are a community that stands by one another and in time I'm sure you will be a major part of that.

We're not flaming you and if your bikes of the same quality as that plate I'm sure you will fit in around here just fine but we work together as a group to safeguard the integrity and dignity of this hobby and while other sites might let anything slide we work hard and take pride in our beliefs in order to keep this thing going.

Your taking comments that are based on years of experience with this stuff and blowing them way out of proportion without taking the time to understand where people are coming from. I'd be willing to bet that other then myself NONE of the guys who commented on your plate need one or really give a shit about them however they do care about others getting burned and not directly by you. You can swear up and down that your only making X # plates and/or that your a great guy who would never rip someone off but the fact remains that your only human and will not last forever in fact it's safe to say that the plate you made has a longer life expectancy then you the creator so you can not take full responsibility for what will happen in the future. It's the next guy who may not be so upstanding and when the next guy rips off this guy this guy comes here to bitch about it. We're constantly identifying fakes for suspecting members who have been duped and it's just easier to address the problem before it happens.

the back of that plate has a unique webbing that I doubt you duplicated...if that's the case everyone will relax and probably have a higher appreciation for it. It will show that you have integrity and you care about the future of the hobby. We're not against look-alike's but we are and stand strongly against exact copies (fakes)

before you get defensive and come back with all the reasons why you will never dup someone consider this

A long time member here had his childhood bicycle stolen right out of the back of his car in an upscale neighborhood right in the driveway only to find it on Craig's list 3 days later. Shit happens and when it does you have no control over it and that's when people start to see things clearly.

Fact:

Those plates are made

Speculation:

They will always be in the hands of the trustworthy

This type of thread always makes me laugh. If you are willing to post photos online of a repop item, and are willing to accept the accolades if there are any, you must also be willing to accept the criticism that may arise. There's no need to get all pissy cause people aren't falling all over themselves over something that i'm sure took a lot of time to build. No one said they sucked, you don't need to get so offended.

Perhaps you need to read more carefully before you started writing. I asked how anyone think it looked, I didn't expect some people to insult what I had made for me. Instead why not say "well there are these differences" or "they don't look as good as the original" or something that is more to what I had asked for. I can handle criticism, it's what makes room for improvement, what I don't like about certain people is their immaturity. Like I said, read carefully.... You can laugh all you want if you think it's funny but those who can read my simple sentences can't see anything funny about it. Trust me, I don't get offended, everyone who knows me can tell you why. I'm not here to talk about any off topics, I'm here to share my build to those who share the same interest, if you don't have anything to offer but to tell me what you THINK I feel, you're wasting your time. I'm not here to start any problems, I'm only here to share info, talk to those who have the same thoughts on the same type of build. I didn't expect to hear "Enjoy your fake plate". You didn't hear me talking trash to anyone, I'm nowhere near offended but come on, why this type of talk? I would never ever talk to anyone that way for any reason that is not called for. OK I'm sorry I made this posting, my mistake, next time I'll think about how there will be some immature people that will be making non contributing comments. I know there are a lot of people who enjoy seeing people getting bashed, I've seen it many times before, yeah it is entertainment but I don't have time to get involved with that. If anyone wants to talk about what I thought this forum was for and what I came on for, then I'm all ears, I'm not here for any non contributing comments, simple as that. Thanks for your consideration.....

If you think your unhappy now how are you going to feel when you get a letter from Seattle Bike Supply about copy rights and there Redline logo. Yes they do frequent these forum pages and some of them contribute so I wouldn't be surprise if that fear became a reality.

Just post the picture of the back of the plate and save everyone a bunch of time

simple as that

So, we can't have opinions on your plate?

I don't like reproduced items, sorry Jack.

If you only want people to whack you off, start your own website. You come here and say " you wouldn't do this, or insult this one"

Well, what makes your opinion any more valuable than mine? You say you can handle the critique but obviously you can't.

Did Redline give you permission? No, they didn't.

Look, i'm here for a reason, to re-live my youth.

Not here to have something made today to look just like my youth. Where is the history or soul in that?

Personally, my bike could sit there just fine without that plate until the day I found one. Sure, you scoured the earth and couldn't find one. Well brudda, kit cars and fake role watches are the next door down, go there if you want that warm and cuddly feeling.

Seacrest out.

Perhaps you need to read more carefully before you started writing. I asked how anyone think it looked, I didn't expect some people to insult what I had made for me. Instead why not say "well there are these differences" or "they don't look as good as the original" or something that is more to what I had asked for. I can handle criticism, it's what makes room for improvement, what I don't like about certain people is their immaturity. Like I said, read carefully.... You can laugh all you want if you think it's funny but those who can read my simple sentences can't see anything funny about it. Trust me, I don't get offended, everyone who knows me can tell you why. I'm not here to talk about any off topics, I'm here to share my build to those who share the same interest, if you don't have anything to offer but to tell me what you THINK I feel, you're wasting your time. I'm not here to start any problems, I'm only here to share info, talk to those who have the same thoughts on the same type of build. I didn't expect to hear "Enjoy your fake plate". You didn't hear me talking trash to anyone, I'm nowhere near offended but come on, why this type of talk? I would never ever talk to anyone that way for any reason that is not called for. OK I'm sorry I made this posting, my mistake, next time I'll think about how there will be some immature people that will be making non contributing comments. I know there are a lot of people who enjoy seeing people getting bashed, I've seen it many times before, yeah it is entertainment but I don't have time to get involved with that. If anyone wants to talk about what I thought this forum was for and what I came on for, then I'm all ears, I'm not here for any non contributing comments, simple as that. Thanks for your consideration.....

Dude you are startin to show tears... dont cry. You posted it for opinions... you didnt get the ones you wanted and started to get bitchy about it. I stand by my post....

fuck ya!!!!kerry rocks

people feel that way because he cares more about the hobby then having a bike part so bad he will go to any extreme to get one....like making his own

that and he can smell out a douche bag like a thirsty lesbian on prom night

must be pressing out a few more plates for some of his super duper trustworthy friends and will get back with the picture when he's done washing them down with holy water

one picture...how fucking hard is that ? :blink:

Thanks Scott, awesome! That comment to the Left nostril, approx 100mph, boogers on iPhone.

And modman, homeboy....I'm certain you're a good dude. It's simply our beliefs on this hobby are hemispheres apart.

Dibs!

I have no time for all the pm's and rubbish a simple picture of the back of the plate will clear up this whole matter and we can make with the congratulatory speeches

I think the plate looks dope and I know from personal experience how hard they are to come by. I do not care... it does not justify exact copies which I doubt we are dealing with here. All I'm saying is a picture will save us a million words. Don't get discouraged this is the most core group of vintage collectors and we are a community that stands by one another and in time I'm sure you will be a major part of that.

We're not flaming you and if your bikes of the same quality as that plate I'm sure you will fit in around here just fine but we work together as a group to safeguard the integrity and dignity of this hobby and while other sites might let anything slide we work hard and take pride in our beliefs in order to keep this thing going.

Your taking comments that are based on years of experience with this stuff and blowing them way out of proportion without taking the time to understand where people are coming from. I'd be willing to bet that other then myself NONE of the guys who commented on your plate need one or really give a shit about them however they do care about others getting burned and not directly by you. You can swear up and down that your only making X # plates and/or that your a great guy who would never rip someone off but the fact remains that your only human and will not last forever in fact it's safe to say that the plate you made has a longer life expectancy then you the creator so you can not take full responsibility for what will happen in the future. It's the next guy who may not be so upstanding and when the next guy rips off this guy this guy comes here to bitch about it. We're constantly identifying fakes for suspecting members who have been duped and it's just easier to address the problem before it happens.

the back of that plate has a unique webbing that I doubt you duplicated...if that's the case everyone will relax and probably have a higher appreciation for it. It will show that you have integrity and you care about the future of the hobby. We're not against look-alike's but we are and stand strongly against exact copies (fakes)

before you get defensive and come back with all the reasons why you will never dup someone consider this

A long time member here had his childhood bicycle stolen right out of the back of his car in an upscale neighborhood right in the driveway only to find it on Craig's list 3 days later. Shit happens and when it does you have no control over it and that's when people start to see things clearly.

Fact:

Those plates are made

Speculation:

They will always be in the hands of the trustworthy

The plate has a matte finish on the back which you cannot see even if I posted the picture. Like I said, a blind person can tell the difference and I've already made the detailed comment so it's not a concern. Besides these are my plates and not for sale. I talked to my machinist and he said if he made more, it would not have any Redline logo or stickers whatsoever so that should clear things up about one not knowing if they are buying a real plate. I'd be surprised to find one who didn't know the difference between a real one and a repro but regardless I wasn't here to sell repros but to share what I have for my build. I used to be a bike mechanic in the early 80's. I was a mechanic at Berkeley Cycle and Deno's Cyclery and they've been around longer than some peoples age here, I may not know too much about the early 70's although I have worked on them rebuilding Sturmey Archers and so on but I've been around bikes for quite some time so that is why I'm here, to share my experience. I'm not blowing anything out of proportion and to say it again, I'm not discouraged, what makes you feel that I am? I do like to however explain my side so it doesn't get out of proportion. So I'm new here but read my comments before making judgment on me, no one is gonna get burned by me, tell me how from my comments is anyone gonna get burned? Burned by what? fire? How many times do I have to say I did not start this topic to sell anything! but hey people have asked me for them even though I never offered any for sale and besides they cannot be sold with the logo anyway. I know about branding copyright, Please read carefully. If you have to see the back then I guess the front looks pretty close to the original but take a closer look at the logo, it's not raised. That is noticeable from the picture. The rest I have already mentioned. I never said it looked exactly like the real deal, come on, I only asked how do does it look. I do appreciate your comment and no one has to worry about getting ripped off. I am a BBB member and own my own business with perfect record. And no I'm not in business to sell replicas! My business consist of automobile customization and product development. I personally like real items, in fact everything I own or owned is authentic from the Rolex the Ferrari to the Lambo except for this damn plate but till I find someone to sell me a mint one, this will do. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a real plate. My bike by the way is nothing like my plate, everything is authentic to the era except the BB decal and plate. They didn't make a black Redline plate for production so that is the only excusable non factory part but then again the one in the picture in the ad is not real either. Anyway let's move on and I hope this clears everything out of the way "THIS PICTURE I POSTED IS NOT THE REAL PLATE! IT IS A REPLICA MADE FOR ONLY ME!, NOT FOR SALE!" I hope you like it! if not no problem, I like real but it was fun having these made and my other RL was crying for one for a temp. As much of a critique as I am, these do look very nice! Anyway when I post a pic of my build, I'm only sharing my experience on it, no I'm not going to post it and tell everyone and say "hey the bike I have is the one in the picture!" ha ha. NO. I hope to meet some of you in person at an event so you truly know who I am and not misjudge who you think I came here for. I enjoy my hobbies and won't let anyone spoil it for me. Peace.

Sorry for the long note, I should've paragraphed it. If it seemed like I came in roughly for some of you, I had no intention. I love the Old school bike and like the original integrity of it. It is nostalgic in many ways.

^ thank YOU !

If your doing a replica and you know the plate is fake and want everyone to know it is fake why not make it black ?

Oh and don't be so certain that Redline never made that plate in black

We have seen stranger things happen by way of the riders request

^ thank YOU !

If your doing a replica and you know the plate is fake and want everyone to know it is fake why not make it black ?

Oh and don't be so certain that Redline never made that plate in black

We have seen stranger things happen by way of the riders request

Dude, you got it all wrong again! damn dude I guess your are smokin endo! pass some to me! No but for real, can't anyone read simple English! The white plate is for my other RL20II, the bike as pictured has the black plate. And yes I have confirmed the black plate is not a production but a custom one. I already have a black plate made for this build and I made it myself through a router so it is totally flat. Why would I put a white plate if I'm trying to make the build like the ad? Alright kids, I got to get home. I'll post the damn pic of the back to satisfy your curiosity. I'm new here, give me a chance will ya. Know me before you pass the wrong judgment to everyone.