Sign in to follow this  
geekuskahn6

Hutch Windstyler rebuild

i got this bike off a fried of mine that found it in the trash. it had the frame, forks, cranks, sprocket, pedals, and neck on it when i got it. i have a pair of late 80's haro bars that are going to go on it. this bike is a 1986 or 87 Hutch Windstyler. the bars are either from a hutch prostyler or they are landing gear forks. i have sandblasted the parts and they are at my friends shop ready to be chromed. i am chroming the parts using the cosmic chrome process. my friend just got the cosmic chrome system recentl and the parts he has been doing are coming out pretty awesome. here are some of the first pics i have and the parts with the base material already sprayed. hopefully i will have chrome pics by the end of the week. the parts that have the blue color are the based parts and all of the other pics are before sandblasting. let me know what ou think

img424.jpg

img425.jpg

img426.jpg

img427.jpg

img428.jpg

img429.jpg

img430.jpg

img431.jpg

img440.jpg

img444.jpg

img444.jpg

img445.jpg

Edited by geekuskahn6

i got this bike off a fried of mine that found it in the trash. it had the frame, forks, cranks, sprocket, pedals, and neck on it when i got it. i have a pair of late 80's haro bars that are going to go on it. this bike is a 1986 or 87 Hutch Windstyler. the bars are either from a hutch prostyler or they are landing gear forks. i have sandblasted the parts and they are at my friends shop ready to be chromed. i am chroming the parts using the cosmic chrome process. my friend just got the cosmic chrome system recentl and the parts he has been doing are coming out pretty awesome. here are some of the first pics i have and the parts with the base material already sprayed. hopefully i will have chrome pics by the end of the week. the parts that have the blue color are the based parts and all of the other pics are before sandblasting. let me know what ou think

WOW! what a find! I hear people finding bikes and parts where they wouldn't expect to find them. About the chroming process, since the chroming laws changed you can tell the difference in the chrome. The past chroming process had more of that bright chrome look, hard to describe, the people who do chrome says it had more of a blue look but I didn't see that. The newer process looked more between nickel and chrome and I think that is the cosmic chrome you're talking about?

Cosmic chrome is a color offered by powder coaters that is supposed to resemble a chrome finish but is more a cool shinny silver if you want my honest opinion. The frame looks cool and should be pretty dope build with all those hutch goodies :) I had that color done on the trailing arms for my 62 Chevy years ago and it looks even better in person but not quite chrome like some of the powder coaters will advertise it

can't wait to see it all finished up :ThumbsUp:

yeah those forks are Akisu...says so right on the drop out :) LG's that look like those are from the SE Trick Master and are capped and smoothed with a SE stamp

a wind styler fork may not be that hard to come by ? Even though a lot of guys use them on Trick Star to minimize cost when in need of a fork

yeah those forks are Akisu...says so right on the drop out :) LG's that look like those are from the SE Trick Master and are capped and smoothed with a SE stamp

a wind styler fork may not be that hard to come by ? Even though a lot of guys use them on Trick Star to minimize cost when in need of a fork

the chroming process i am using is not a powder coat. its a base material, then a clear etch chemical sprayed on with distilled water rinsing it, then another chemical that chemically reacts somehow (its f-ing cool) and turns the different stages of solutions into a chrome look. i beleive it has some amout of nickel in the final solution but don t quote me on that. afetr all that is done it gets a clear coat that works with the other solutions to protect it. this stuff is a very good alternative to the real thing. we might be chroming the pieces tommorow night ill post pics when its done, and im going to try to get some video also. thanks for the reply about the forks, im definetly going to keep them cause they are pretty cool and in great shape.

Cool find. I think I'd want to get the headset cups and gyro piece off of it first though before finishing it and do them separately. If just to make sure the head tube got fully coated.

I don't think I've seen this finish your doing. If I have I didn't notice I guess. I know you have a friend doing it, but would it be cheaper than a re-chrome?

Cool find. I think I'd want to get the headset cups and gyro piece off of it first though before finishing it and do them separately. If just to make sure the head tube got fully coated.

I don't think I've seen this finish your doing. If I have I didn't notice I guess. I know you have a friend doing it, but would it be cheaper than a re-chrome?

[/quote

i will be doig the final process tonite and i hope to have pics up by tommorow. the chroming process is something my shop and a friend of mines shop has been working with for about a year now. he originally was a guinee pig for a chroming process that was manufactured in Philadelphia, that never really worked quite well. this will be the first frame that we will be doing with the new chemicals, so its hit or miss. we have chromed several small pieces already and know it works, but the prep and base coat is the determining factor. good call on the neck piece i should have but overlooked it. all else fails it gets re sandblasted.