Sign in to follow this  
GG Allin

How rare are these Tuffs?

Not ultra rare, but, not common. I just got a set on a complete bike with the Bendix 70 coaster. Certainly rider condition, but, overall, in good shape.

If you're talking NOS, that's another story....

Lots of them around down here in OZ. Tuffs were huge down here. I picked up a set on a complete bike for $40 not long ago. I scored some red Tuff 1's on a complete Mongoose for $15 about 3 months ago.

But yeah NOS will get very good dollars.

If you guys could post photos with detail shots of distinguishing characteristics, that'd be great.

I'd like to get a good thread going that documents all generations of tuff wheels and the differences that distinguish.

Oh I have a million pics of Tuffs. Huge fan.

I will sort them and post 'em up.

Tuff 1

I have 2 sets, one is unstamped.

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_001.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_002.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_003.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_009.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_018.JPG

Tuff II Metal Hub.

In order

Freewheel

Front

Coaster

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_015.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_020.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_021.JPG

Tuff II Newschool sealed hub

Front

rear

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_008.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_017.JPG

Newschool "H" pattern spokes, sealed hubs. 24"

Front

Rear

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_005.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_006.JPG

OE's. Regular bearings. Actually these are VERY similar to the Aussie "Tuff" that was released back in 82.

Also a hub from an Aussie "TUFF" that was used a lot in the early 80's to convert coasterbraked TUFF II's. Perfect bolt in fit. Threaded freewheel.

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_024.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_025.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_016.JPG

A couple of gutless Tuff II's. Any hubs out there? Any type will do. I rock a coaster so that'd be great.A pair of early 16"ers

I forgot the casette style freewheel hub. Can't find my pic right now.

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_022.JPG

Resize_of_Tuff_Wheels_023.JPG

How about some pictures of tuff wheels (pre tuff I) and include the whole wheel it is different than a tuff I.

Great, thanks Glenn. May you live long and enjoy astonishing abundance and myriad pleasures.

Now... let's get some collaborators with auxilliary pics and what would be REALLY great... are some dates, roughly accurate will do until we can be sure.

Sorry not tuff I related but this steel hub tuff II variant was posted by someone on another forum recently - anybody have any info in it ?

First time I've seen a steel hub like this :

steelhubdiff.JPG

GG Allin... not trying to derail your thread. I can split all this that doesn't pertain to pre-Tuff I off onto it's own if you want.

Hoping the info you seek will appear here as well though.

Oct. 79 Tuff II advert:

Tuff2.Oct79.BMXA.jpg

Sorry not tuff I related but this steel hub tuff II variant was posted by someone on another forum recently - anybody have any info in it ?

First time I've seen a steel hub like this :

steelhubdiff.JPG

That is a weird one Bob. I have never seen another steel hub like that one. It has the next gen shape flange with the early Tuff II material?? Weird.

GG I don't know what wheel your referring too. The Tuff 1 pic is the earliest I have seen. The pic you posted is a Tuff 1 as far as I can see.

This ad is from Aug 77. Looks like a reg Tuff 1.

0031.jpg

I Will take better pictures later but check it out. Patent pending (not sure when they got a patent). there is not really a usable braking surface kinda hard to see in the picture.

TUFFS22.jpg

They had a couple version of the Freewheel Tuff II also. The first version I had were Blue Tuff II's with a Suntour cassette hub. You would just clip on a different cog size and off you went for a hot lap. Then I had a set of Red Tuff II's with a thread on freewheel.

I also, had several versions of Graphites.

Man, Im a HUGE TUFF's fan!

Yes, those are pre-patent models.

They have a taller rim area and not level on the outer triangles.

When visiting with Maurice Meyer he showed me his and recall they only came in black. Maurice can chime on the history on why they changed it to the production Skyway I's.

GG, you have the whole set! That's really cool! First time I've seen another one of the Pat Pend ones. I bought this single front a few years back just for the novelty factor. I'd love to get a rear to go with it. Yeah, they are a lot different than the production ones. For example, the well inside the rim is a lot more rounded.

39f8_12.JPG

392d_12.JPG

3c8b_12.JPG

I don't really have too much more to add though on that wheel. Have been sort collecting Tuffs and related materials though and found some interesting things. I don't own all of the stuff in these images. I grabbed them here and there when I saw something I thought would be interesting in a page dedicated to Tuffs. A wiki would be great for something like this.

Take a look at these. It looks like when the first Tuff II's came out, there was no stamping and the braking area was shorter. Looks like they made the rim taller and added the stamp shortly afterward.

P7290012.JPG

P7290016.JPG

Here are a couple rare variants - Mongoose stamp (I bought these on eBay) Couldn't pass that up. I mean, the little Mongoose guy's name is Maurice!

IMG_6147.JPG

cc2.jpg

Andy Patterson (wish I had a set of these.)

d4cd8080.jpg

When Tuffs were selling like crazy in the UK (1985 I believe) Skyway started making wheels there. But, there was some problem with shipping the riveting machine so the UK wheels had the hubs bolted in with the repair kits.

DSC0101010742a76e89.JPG

Pink OE wheel with a metal flange. Didn't see this back in the day.

4dfc_1.JPG

Red OE wheels.

s1_7.jpg

There's a whole timeline of hubs and colors and outer wheel types (stamped on the spoke or the braking surface) that needs to be put together because there is overlap in hubs and color productions. I mean, there isn't a clear line between when one hub started and the other ended. For example, when the first plastic front hubs came out, the rears still had metal flanges but then went to plastic. Also, one thing I find really strange is that I've never seen a white wheel with the rim stamped but, there were definitely white Tuff 1's. The coaster brake arms vary but I've seen what seem to be older ones in the new style flange but that's hard to say whether it was done by the owner. I also have a Tuff 2 with no serial number although a seemingly older wheel it came with has one. Weird things happened...

0637_1.JPG

Then there's 24's, 16's, graphites and custom wheels:

tommySkyway.jpg

I started trying to document this and listed these hub and rim types (stopping before the plastic hubs):

Rim types:

Tuff 1 Pat Pend

Tuff 1 unstamped

Tuff 1 stamped

Tuff 2 unstamped

Tuff 2 brake area stamp no serial number

Tuff 2 brake area stamp with serial number

Tuff 2 rib area stamp with serial number

Tuff 2 graphite brake area stamp with serial number

Tuff 2 graphite rib area stamp with serial number

Tuff 2 Hubs:

front - steel square

front - steel star

front - aluminum star

front - graphite square campy

front - graphite star campy

front - graphite star sealed

rear - coaster steel square

rear - coaster steel star

rear - cassette steel star

rear - freewheel aluminum star

rear - graphite square campy

rear - graphite square campy flip-flop

rear - graphite star campy

rear - graphite star seale

This is exactly what we need... documentation :True: Can we get a time line for these wheels?

For instance, something that will let me know what was available for my 79 SE DB-V

This is exactly what we need... documentation :True: Can we get a time line for these wheels?

For instance, something that will let me know what was available for my 79 SE DB-V

You know, I've been setting up to do this for a while gathering pictures. It really needs a static page to gather all the information though. I was hearing rumors of a BMX wiki a while back and kind of holding off for that (plus general slacking) but if you guys are into it, I think I'll just start an basic page on my site and cross-reference with this thread. I'll bet between us, we can get a pretty good profile of the history of Tuffs going. We definitely need Waza in here.

What I'm thinking is that we can get it in pretty good shape then ask the guys at Skyway if they can review it. That way, any open questions might find an answer.

I think the timeline is going to be a little rough and there are rough edges in the production where they may have used some older hubs they had for a while with the new outer just to deplete the stock. I think the biggest thing to keep in mind will be to remain subjective and not jump to conclusions. Say things like "no reports of a white Tuff with stamped sidewall have been made" rather than "they never happened."

If some better place to house this information comes up, we can just move it there later.

Oh man, now I'm committed huh...