Sign in to follow this  
GG Allin

How rare are these Tuffs?

GG ,

did you get those off ebay ?

I dont know a thing about early Tuffs and if this post is in the way on this thread, please delete it. I have these and I think they are Tuffs but I have heard that Troxel made some similar, are they Tuffs? Sorry about the crappy pics.

100_0292.jpg

Here is a photo of the dates on them

100_0298.jpg

The other is labled 1-4-80 I cant seem to find a pic of it at the moment.

That would be great Maurice. If I can help in any way lmk.

Jay I would say they are Tuff 1's. I have the same date writing in mine.

BUMP for some good informative reading , the New Year , and its future builds... :rawks:

BTW, what would you guys date unstamped or dated Tuffs ? Are they considered very early Tuff 1's or Tuff 1's that missed the stamping process?

Unstamped or dated tuff 1s (?)

rty.JPG

I would say 78-80. I have a set here the same, no date or stamps.

BTW, what would you guys date unstamped or dated Tuffs ? Are they considered very early Tuff 1's or Tuff 1's that missed the stamping process?

Unstamped or dated tuff 1s (?)

I asked the following question in restoring and rebuilding, but since the topic has come up over here I thought I'd ask it here.

I have a set of Tuff I's I'm trying to figure out the date on them. I searched the Mag database with no luck. I then tried the search in Restoring and in Trackside for "tuff date" and got no results or an error or something. Anyway, they are in great shape. Almost too great, so I thought I would try to figure out the date. The seller said they are from 1980. They have patent stamps. The rear is B226 12-7. The front is hard to read, but I think it says A244 11-7. If anyone can help me out with this I'd appreciate it.

So far the only dates I'm seeing are Dec 3rd and Nov 7th. I'm guessing A means front and B means rear. The other numbers may just be serials. I was thinking the Patent stamps may help. I know they were making Tuff I's and II's for a while, but never really knew when they dropped 20" Tuff I's, if ever.

Skyways were patented May 10, 1977. I don't know when they started stamping them.

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

Great info in here - glad this thread has been revived :)

There is a lot more I'd like to do with this but at some point, you just have to get the first draft out. The main point of this page is to try to piece together the history of Tuff Wheels during the 80's. I put some other stuff in there and may do more along with getting into the 90's but the 70's and 80's were the hey days of Tuffs so I went with that for now. I tried to keep as much of the "I remember when" stuff out of it and just go by printed ads and catalogs. If there were questions that I couldn't answer, I filled in the blanks a little but tried to indicate that I did that.

Anyway, let me know if you have any information to clarify more of the story.

http://mauricemeyer.com/cgi/mm.pl?datafile...20Tuff%20Wheels

Great job Maurice!!!

Thought the prototype 1st gen graphites used by PK were in late '79. '80 for sponsored riders and thought our shop got a set late '80 or early '81

Thought the prototype 1st gen graphites used by PK were in late '79. '80 for sponsored riders and thought our shop got a set late '80 or early '81

Agreed on the 79 debut. I recall reading that PK showed them off first time at 1979 Jag Worlds in Indy. And I know that was last week of December, 1979. So, VERY late 79!

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll dig a little and see if I can find some citations. It seems like the graphites had a sort of slow leak to the market. I haven't seen much at all on them in the catalogs I have and don't really recall much more than a mention in an advertisement. Has there ever been a feature ad with nice big photo of a graphite?

Is there any sort of info to be gained from the SN on the early models? I know later models it was pretty clear. How do they decipher in the early models? Is a Bendix 70 coaster an indication of a 1976 or earlier model? (Assumption is in 1976, there were probably lots of 1970 hubs still out in the wild).

I've got a set of Tuff I's with Bendix 70 coaster. Earlier in this thread, there was a comment that A meant front, and I've got an A on my front, but, the rear is a mystery.

Front: 331-5-10-A

Rear: 183 6-1-W

Thanks.

TWFrontView.JPG

TWFrontSN.JPG

TWRearView.JPG

TWRearSN.JPG

GG Allin,

Could you repost the photos using this site as the host? That'd be a great service.

Tuff II profile from

Nov 79

BMX Plus

SkywayTuff2_Plus_Nov79_1.web.jpg

SkywayTuff2_Plus_Nov79_2.web.jpg

the stamping on the webbing rather than the brake track would probably make this mid-1980s+. Skyway made/makes composite wheels for all sorts of things besides bikes (mostly besides bikes). Is that even a bike wheel, or is it some type of cart wheel?

On 11/3/2009 at 7:31 AM, Maurice Meyer said:

unstamped

I have a set of unstamped black skyway mags with coaster break and alloy flange with numbers writen on the inside rim.

1 hour ago, Steven overturf said:

Off a junk bike for 25$.

Nice score.  How’s the condition?