Sign in to follow this  
KenC

Extra gusset 1976 DeCosters

I have been wondering for some time about how many 76 DeCosters exist. They started building the DeCoster in June of 76 which means the extra gusset DeCosters were built for about 9 months before the extra gusset was eliminated in February 77.

I have owned two of them, serial numbers CF6 19796 which I bought from the original owner and still have and CF6 19578 which I sold to RobV The irony is I found both of them within 3 miles of my house. I did find a third one CH6 23553 which I just passed onto Waza.

I know there has to be more of them out there but I have not seen or heard of any others on any of the bike forums that I go to or found any on ebay or found any by googleing info in all the years of collecting. Where are they?

Please post any and all info on the extra gusset DeCosters you have.

Here are a couple photos of my 100% original un-restored 76 DeCoster that still retains ALL of it's original parts.

P1000651.jpg

P1000653.jpg

Good topic... it should be interesting to see if anybody is holding or has info.

That is a beauty you have there, by the way. Real good lookin' OG rig.

Pat Quinn in Texas has one in his stash.

Would love to see photos and get the serial number for Waza's registry.

Pat is elusive like a rare jungle cat but he does surface once in a while!

That's a beautiful DeCoster Ken :)

Don't want to take this off topic too much but at the other end of the scale what's the latest date DeCoster anyone has seen ?

vintagemongoose.com states they were manufactured from 76-83 but the latest i've seen in waza's list is an 81 and the latest on the museum is an 81 also.

vintagemongoose.com also states that only the short frame came in nickel but the '79 schwinn catalogue clearly states the long is available in nickel.

Any thoughts ?

That's a beautiful DeCoster Ken :)

Don't want to take this off topic too much but at the other end of the scale what's the latest date DeCoster anyone has seen ?

vintagemongoose.com states they were manufactured from 76-83 but the latest i've seen in waza's list is an 81 and the latest on the museum is an 81 also.

vintagemongoose.com also states that only the short frame came in nickel but the '79 schwinn catalogue clearly states the long is available in nickel.

Any thoughts ?

I think it means that the short frame came only in nickel...not that the only nickel was the short frame. Just going from memory as it seems there was some discussion about this somewhere....

Another awesome bike from Ken!!!

I think it means that the short frame came only in nickel...not that the only nickel was the short frame. Just going from memory as it seems there was some discussion about this somewhere....

Yeah - that makes sense - cool :)

Any thoughts ?

I don't think I have ever seen an 82-83 DeCoster, I always thought 81 was the last year. Look up some old Schwinn catalogs and see when the last year they had them listed.

I have seen a few painted shorts but they were repaints so who knows what they started life as.

Here is my 79 "catalog" bike.

Photo0202.jpg

Sweet :cool2:

I love the yellow tuff I's - I have a set on one of my '79 geese - I'm sure i read somewhere that in 77 schwinn asked skyway to make the tuff I's in yellow - up until then it had just been black that they made ?

How many DeCoster's do you have / have you had Ken ?

Any others?

There has to be more out there somewhere, or are these that rare?

I sold one to Waza. He should have it fully restored by now. Waza you out there?

I sold one to Waza. He should have it fully restored by now. Waza you out there?

I believe I talked to you on the phone about it last year some time, I forwarded your contact info to Waza. You had serial number CH6 23553 if not, then there was another one in MN.

That's still only four of them known so far within the BMX community.

This can't be it, there has to be more than 4 of them around.