Sign in to follow this  
Todd Lyons

All Things Considered for 2011 SE Bikes

Hey ya!

Well, it's that time of the year that we dive straight into the next year's line of bikes. The 2011 bikes, that is!

What I am looking for here is to have an open forum of sorts for suggestions on spec changes, geometry changes, colors, etc. for all bikes in the SE line. I will review this post almost daily for new info & feedback.

I am going to Asia in about a week. Some of our 2011 bikes will be confirmed within a month & others in two months. Lets try to keep this thread positive. But of course I am open to constructive criticism!

Thanks, yo.

I'd like to see the 2011 retro line revisit some classic finishes.

Candy colors - Blue, Red, Black or good old chrome.

with chrome components for the candy colors (though candy blue looks great with gold parts too), and blue or black components for the chrome models.

If you want to be a little more distinctive... could always ano the alloy frames, but in that case as well, it'd be good to stay with the primaries -blue, red, black.

Would also love to see the threaded landing gear get the dropouts with the laser cut SE like the rear drops on the loop tails have lately. It'd just be a cool way of setting the modern threaded landing gears apart from the old school ones.

Also... how about sleek seat 2 style (shaped) seats on the complete OM flyers.

Retro looptail FLOVAL FLYER. Ball burnished with anno blue parts.

IMHO these should have been done before a 26" PK or 26" Quad.

Don't get me wrong, I like those additions to the retro line-up, but a Floval is a glaring ommission.

I also think the OM should go back to Chro-mo since the 26" PK is now the aluminum 26" option.

I'm not a tech-head when it comes to geometry, but I do know I like the way the retro's ride. As long as they continue to be an enjoyable ride for all aspects of BMX, and not just "cruising" vessels for old timers.

Some of us like to get dirty on them. Whether it's racing, dirt, street, or park.

I'd like to see an all new race frame. Maybe a Javier signature series. I see a lot of dirt jumper named frames, it would be great to see some racer named frames again. The PK is legendary but realistically it appeals to us older guys more than the teen/twenty somethings.

No complete bike suggestions, but what I'd like more than anything from any company in bmx is a 1" 4130 layback micro adjust seat post. They do not exist, I wish someone would make one already.

Took the words right out of my mouth with the floval comments. Also what about a 3 bar clunker or cruiser? Cook bros inspired.

Took the words right out of my mouth with the floval comments. Also what about a 3 bar clunker or cruiser? Cook bros inspired.

I second this

Steel is real on the OM... with a 26" front wheel and a 24" rear wheel... :)

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

A paisley velvet wallpaper edition OM seems like a natural progression. Make it happen Todd.

I'll second the laser cut drop outs on the 1" thread Landing Gear. Do the right thing.

I agree with the Floval Flyer, laid back micro adjust seatpost and the candy red and blue comments from above.

I would also like to see all the parts sold seperately. I know you sell grips, seats and tires, but I would like to get a stem, brakes, bars, sprocket and even wheels individually. Now you may already offer most or all of these parts a'la cart, but my LBS doesn't cary them and wasn't too interested in ordering. I don't really blame them and can't see any LBS carring a load of SE parts, so maybe if you had an on-line store for just the parts. I know, might be easier said than done with dealer agreements, but I know there are people out there like me who want to modify their new OS-SE rides.

I am also fan of front brakes. I love them on my 2007 OM and would like to see them on another model eventually.

As for color I love red and/or blue. The 2010 Quad is perfect. I would also like to see a blue F&F with gold parts, and maybe an all red and all blue bike.

One last thing... with all our detailed graphic bikes (like the money bike and wood grain) I was thinking a detailed primer grey model that looks like an under-construction hot rod with bight red or blue ano components would be cool... just a thought.

Thanks for listening Todd, and let me know if you ever need any photographs of these bikes! :ThumbsUp:

And I have a question... What size are the bars on the new OM and 26-inch Quad? Are they the same as what is on the 20-inch PK Ripper? I want these tallers bars for my '07 OM.

THANKS!

Would like to see a 2009 Quadangle Pro done with the double downtubes like on the old style Quadangle. Keep everything in the rear triangle the same as the 2009, just put in double downtubes, and top tube that actually goes to the bottom of the head tube. All Cromoly frame and beefy Landing Gear forks..... Colors - old school white with baby blue, Baby blue with black.... Camo with baby blue pad sets.

:)

A paisley velvet wallpaper edition OM seems like a natural progression. Make it happen Todd.

:ThumbsUp:

Perfect addition to this disaster

SE_Bikes_5.jpg

I second this

Kona bikes, did a 3 bar a few years ago called the Kona A'ha, they have a new one kinda that style The Humu

something simi gloss black, with brushed aluminum graphics, chrome parts, black tires, black seat, black grips.

P.S. Happy Birthday Todd

br_alum.jpg

sgblack.jpg

Come back to the race track Todd , we all miss your antics :OSThumbsUpPeace[1]: IMO ..... o ya , you to Scott !

Black seat, tires and grips!?!?!? WTF? RU OS? :)

Richard Vogt

bmxtiresshouldbeblackwithperhapsaskinwallmountainbiker

I second this

Kona bikes, did a 3 bar a few years ago called the Kona A'ha, they have a new one kinda that style The Humu

Yeah they are cool. I would still like to see an SE branded one.

And at the risk of ticking some people off, how about....

an STR1????????????????????????

More anno on everything and every color you can get! Purple would be sweet.

I posted my ideas on BMX museum and just wanna post em here for some of the other guys to read here that dont go to the museum,maybe it will jump start some other ideas here too, this isnt an exact copy and paste from the museum btw since some of the ideas I had are here as well:

I thought the 2010 line is very nice overall. I would like to see a few more traditional retro paint schemes. The best bike in my opinion was the 24" retro quad complete as far as color combo.

I would like to see some color combos that are more along the lines of the 70's SE colors. brown, tan, baby blue blazin blue etc... Colors outside of this are totally cool I would just make sure to nail 2 models with the traditional SE colors in the retro line.

I would love to see a retro Floval looptail.

I sure hope also that the 26" quad will be available as a non DC or other branded 3rd party label bike. I loved this bike but not huge on the yellow of course.

A retro SE numberplate would be dope to include with the completes, something similar to the Proto Plates or Haro plates.

Are all the cool new 2010 parts available seperately yet? The new cruiser bars, the 2 piece grips? the stems etc....?

can the bar pads get one extra inch in width? I know they went wider already, can we get another one more inch though?

a 70's retro jersey think non wings shoulder jersey.

I also want to see a return of the steel OM Flyer. is this possible?

Do a premium top of the line limited retro line

Bullseye hubs/pedals

profile cranks (what if profile could do a second run box cranks for this?)

paul brakes

Skyway wheels on some

then you could go one step further....legends of SE signature models

PK signature model PK Ripper with tuffs and retro skyway tuff fork instead of LG etc....

Stu Thomsen signature quadangle

Greg Hill model

The OM Signature OM Flyer

Mike Buff Signature PK Ripper freestyle......tuffs of course.

and on and on, so many legendary riders that could have their own retro premium signature models.

the colors should be based on actual winning race bikes and try and include as many components as possible that were used.

these should be premium models with the name brand retro parts, like suggested above. toptubes would have a signature by the Pro in question. limited numbered maybe these are $1500 pricepoint bikes, includes a jersey or something cool.

I think a whole retro uniform would be cool

helmet

jersey

pants

gloves

and wing thing

all circa 1979 or so.

I was even looking for those really cool vans that they used to wear bitd

the skate high in sand color with the brown center and blue stripe.

Olive green or brown paint would be cool with baby blue stickers would be cool......

The ones I see over and over are:

Floval Loop

Steel OM

Can't wait to get mine!

Thanks for the feedback & suggestions! I will look more closely at all of the suggestions & comment as well after the weekend. Thanks again!