Sign in to follow this  
monocoquemike

What is THE mid-school holy grail? i.e. mid-schools str-1

To each his own, the Brand X would be cool, the titanium version would be unrideable or unrealistic for most of us as they had a weight limit of of like 170 lbs I think. IMO still not of STR-1 status but a great personal grail.

I don't know how many of you have seen this on vintage, but I thought it was a good excuse to wake this thread back up. It has surfaced!! Prototype Brand X Pro Frame!!

Brand_X_frame_1.jpg

Sorry for asking, but what time frame is considered mid-school? Or I guess I should ask, where does mid school end and new school begin? Thanks.

i think mid schoolers start drawing the line at 1 1/8 headsets...

I personally think it ends at 2000, but that's just me. You can't tell me that companies like brand x, technique, hawk, mountain cycle, etc. are not mid-school bc they have a 1 1/8" headtube. A lot of people will argue on a end date, but I like Kerry's thought on late 80's for the beginning of mid. Companies like s&m were just starting to get their feet wet and starting to change the game. The threaded 1" to threadless 1" and then 1 1/8" threadless transitions are all part of the mid-school era IMO. Mid school to sum it up briefly is when several small companies were making out of the box crazy frames/components. The more unusual, the better. A lot of companies made gimicky products, some caught on and some didn't. A lot of companies only lasted a few years and then died, but made great quality bmx products. I think that new school starts when the out of the box thinking companies died and frames all started looking the same again. Every bike now a days looks the same, no one is willing to think outside the box anymore. Even look at the retro craze, companies are going backwards instead of moving forward like they were all throughout the 90's...Just my .02, take it for what it's worth... :power.of.suggestion:

The Brand X frames looks like a marriage between a JAD and an ACE Hole Shot.

very good points and agree with Mike...heck, Mikes got some of the sickest mid gear out there so he's an authority as far as mid school goes. I just feel like when I hear 2000 that feels like the other day but actually 10 years ago (wow)

I personally think it ends at 2000, but that's just me. You can't tell me that companies like brand x, technique, hawk, mountain cycle, etc. are not mid-school bc they have a 1 1/8" headtube. A lot of people will argue on a end date, but I like Kerry's thought on late 80's for the beginning of mid. Companies like s&m were just starting to get their feet wet and starting to change the game. The threaded 1" to threadless 1" and then 1 1/8" threadless transitions are all part of the mid-school era IMO. Mid school to sum it up briefly is when several small companies were making out of the box crazy frames/components. The more unusual, the better. A lot of companies made gimicky products, some caught on and some didn't. A lot of companies only lasted a few years and then died, but made great quality bmx products. I think that new school starts when the out of the box thinking companies died and frames all started looking the same again. Every bike now a days looks the same, no one is willing to think outside the box anymore. Even look at the retro craze, companies are going backwards instead of moving forward like they were all throughout the 90's...Just my .02, take it for what it's worth... :power.of.suggestion:

very good points and agree with Mike...heck, Mikes got some of the sickest mid gear out there so he's an authority as far as mid school goes. I just feel like when I hear 2000 that feels like the other day but actually 10 years ago (wow)

Kerry you're making me blush! Thanks for the compliment, I have mad respect for you guys and the other guys that mainly dabble with the OS stuff. :cheers:

It is pretty cool that Woody commented on a post that I created. That's what I like about the new style on the society now. A lot of people read threads that they would never look at with the old set up. I think it's going to create a lot of cross-over where the OS guys are going to start building mid and vice versa. I know there are a few OS frames that I wouldn't mind acquiring and building!

monocoquemike,

if you are still out there, could you replace the shots at the beginning of this thread, and host them here on the site's free in house hosting please?

It's too late to edit, just repost them here if you can, and one of us will edit them in.

anybody have new ideas on the topic of grail caliber mids?

I'd say the K9-Dzine has to be it....arguably the frame that started the Mid-school era

Also, I talked about a looptail Mad-Dog a few pages back..turns out it was a re-stickered Robinson

Anything that hasn't been reproduced, hacked up, or unnecessarily refinished is a grail these days.

That being said, none of the Titanium Brand X frames ever surfaced (to my knowledge) it will be reproduced before a real one surfaces I bet.  A real one would be cool to see. 

My personal "grail" would still be to find the cruiser Barry McManus rode while with Reynolds.  Hell I would like to just know WTF it was.  Whatever it was, had 990 mounts under the chainstays.  Would also like to find one of the Raps with the same brake mounts too (McManus and Colgrove both raced them).

Couple of very cool pieces here...

are either the GT carbon fiber or the Profile wheels around?

BMXplus_Jan_96.jpg

Not sure about the wheels, last I had heard Profile still has them and won't give them up.

The Carbon GT frame surfaced a while ago. I am pretty sure it is in a collectors hands.

those billet profile wheels did surface, theres a bike on the museum that has them.

custom Billet Alliant proto

dscn1824_blowup.jpg

The 1st,, Intense BMX frame....

sniper.jpg

Chad' Herrington's Ti Jumping bike,

Kastan Kushion and Pistol Pete's Holmes.

Chad' Herrington's Ti Jumping bike,

Kastan Kushion and Pistol Pete's Holmes.