Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

Your FIRST build in the hobby

Oh my.....

The first kind of BMXey build i did which led to me researching more about bmx, previously I was into vintage MTB's pretty heavily .

this is was what they call a Klunker or a Marin county fireroad cruiser leaning more in the BMX direction.

based on a western flyer balloon tire frame.

DSC01969.jpg

the S&S was my first build. can you say YUCK?

and the FMF was the second. not quite as bad.....although I had a thing about having my seat way too high....lol

lets just say my tastes have matured a little.

100_0075.jpg

100_0061.jpg

Here's mine. Had my mother send it to me on a whim back in 2003 The frame, neck, post (check that out, stamped kuwahara lazer lite in 13/16 - anyone ever seen one of those before), bars are original stuff I bought in 1983. I still have the (bent) crank/sproket, and original fork (balogna cut tange), and original post clamp, chain and pedals too but it wasn't fancy enough, so it's in a box somewhere. I also threw away the white Mike Buff Z-rims but I kept the hubs.

It was originally ball burnished with the same decals as it has now, but I redid the frame and applied new repop decals cause I too wanted a blingy look! ...and, like everyone else, wish I would have left it alone cause it had other stickers on it as well, one of which is the shop I bought it from in Frankfurt (I was in Germany 82-85) named Hajo's. Long gone now. Oh well. I still feel luckier than most because by the mere grace of god, this thing was never heisted. Even after miles and years of riding with no lock and more years of my brothers neglect long after I went to college.

nothing much to say other than "damn that Phaze 1 is fuckin UGLY"

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

i think the only thing i got right on the bike was the CW pads and the CW bars.....the rest is hideous !!!!!!!!!

I didn't do much building until I was back in for a few years. What got me back in was a trip to the Salvation Army back in 2001. There was a black 1987 GT Performer there with a masking tape price tag on it's seat that read $29. It was the perfect survivor, all original parts and in excellent condition. I immediately picked it up and put it under my arm. My girlfriend thought I was nuts, "you already have a bicycle" :lol: but I took it anyway, it was a $29 relic from my childhood. We took it across the street, filled the tires up with air, I rode it for about 2 minutes and put her on it. She loved it so it became her bike. We kept it for a couple years until I sold it to buy a Trickstar. I can't find any pictures of that Performer, it's the bike I regret selling the most.

Between then and 2004 I bought a few other bikes, but didn't do much to them besides change handlebars, pedals or little things like that. Then I bought an 04 Kappa Starsky. Not vintage, but made to look old school, it was the first bike I built up from parts. It did have skinwalls on it, but not when this pic was taken. I still have the Kappa donut seatpost clamp (also not pictured) that I used to have on this bike, it's on my K24 now.

DSCN0924.jpg

scott2.jpg

The20beast.jpg

When I first came back to BMX in 2004. Wanted to see what I could build for under $100

The first old school bike that I did anything to was this 1985 Hutch Trickstar. This was also back in 2004. I had the bars and seat post powder coated to match the f/f, put on some Peregrine Super Pro 48's, changed the seat and called it done. A good friend of mine still owns this bike, he won't sell it back.

85trickstar.jpg

First off I was trying to recreate my last race bike a 20 inch, but got intensely distracted by this cruiser. Think this one was first, but cheated because they are new TUFFs. Never did own a cruiser, just borrowed one from my sponsor to race once in awhile.

bike_stuff_part_duex_082.jpg

bike_stuff_part_duex_085.jpg

There will be tears before midnite....

Wouldn't be right if someone didn't fall on the sword and front themselves. Not proud of this anymore, but at the time I would have fought for her honor :lol:

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Enjoy!

I can't leave you hanging out there like that..

I am going to hereby take all the heat off of you with these beauties!

UGLY.JPG

UGLY3.JPG

:lol: ...too funny

I can't leave you hanging out there like that..

Wow. Black AND yellow... wow... :)

I'm glad I found this site before I mangled a '76 goose... I'll get around to it one of these days... in the mean time, thanks, guys... and thanks for making me smile inside... :lol:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

This was my first build.It was in 2000.Got the frame and it went down hill from there.I don't have it anymore.I wish I did.Sold it to Monster-Robot 2 years age.Now I think he said its in Germany.dg2.jpg

This is my first build in 2005. I agree Tom, great thread

candy001.jpg

candy003.jpg

I love that color and always have. Is it original?

My 1st build, still dig it today. After this one I went on to an OG finish/chrome build,,,, and now Im actually working on a rough "survivor" style build. Maybe I've come full circle :) .............Claude

aaaaaaaaaaee.jpg0001.JPG

Yo son shit is tight. Done been favored 16 times in the museum too aight.

All I had remembered from bitd was UNI seats and DK stems so mission accomplished, uh, kinda.

Picture_1.png

All I had remembered from bitd was UNI seats and DK stems so mission accomplished, uh, kinda.

Picture_1.png

Just when you thought it was safe to revisit this thread...

Rob, out of the thousands and thousands of BMX bikes I've seen over the years, yours is the very first where the grip material and the pedal cage material actually matched color-wise... :lol:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Announcement:

Hear ye... Hear ye...

There will be no BIKE OF THE YEAR for 2009

Instead, I'm going to choose the "BIKE OF THE AGES" from this thread. George (Astrodamus) you are way out front with the Diamond Back Hornet.

Time will tell. Winner to be announced Jan 2.

:cheers:

Picture_1.png

Just when you thought it was safe to revisit this thread...

Rob, out of the thousands and thousands of BMX bikes I've seen over the years, yours is the very first where the grip material and the pedal cage material actually matched color-wise... :lol:

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

Thats custom work brah. :Idunno:

Oh and Oury grips was the other thing I remembered from bitd. This bike had it ALL.

Edited by BMXROB

I think this Torker 280x was mine or at least it was one of the first, the DB was close behind.

MVC_017S_torker.jpg

DB_II.jpg

At this point I'm torn between the "Pool Fence Blue" Profile with matching Redline Flight cranks, and the Diamond Back "Hornet"... :lol:

Rob's masterful matching of materials on his GT are a close turd third though... :)

Richard Vogt

bmxmountainbiker

I had a couple to start with.

group_3.jpg

I was able to score quite a few good parts at an area bike shop to get the DY going again. Of course I had to finish it with whatever Alan's BMX had at the time.

dy_2.jpg

I haven't done much with the 2/4 but go backwards. It was perfect when I found it with metal flange Tuffs. I broke those and got the new school Tuffs. I broke those and bought some used rims. Then at some point I decided I needed money and sold the inverted Tuf Neck and put an OS-BMX repro on it. I put the Kos bars on a Kos and put some Supercross Koz bars on the 2/4. It's still a great ride, but some day I'm gonna have to do right by her. I did manage to get a beat up Elina for it, so maybe this is a start.

81705b.jpg