Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

Your FIRST build in the hobby

no doubt I did, Ron. Knees were banging the bars.

Alright I'll throw mine in. My first "old school" bmx build was with this JMC frame and fork I got on ebay several years ago. Not sure exactly when I got it, but I've been adding parts it seems like for a long time. I'm real happy with how it sits right now, I can probably call it finished at this point.

jmc 20 001.JPG

jmc 20 002.JPG

jmc1.jpg

Here is my first build getting back into the hobby. My biggest regrets were using a ATI neck pad and a lizard skinz bar pad, using a Primo casket stem (just doesn't fit the bike), the red chain, and the big ol' fatty Mirra cushion seat on there. I don't really regret the Chicago style bars because I'm from the Chi and that's how we roll! :homies: :Cool_LikeThat: I would pull them back a lil' now a days.

By far my biggest regret was selling the bike...It was by far the best riding bike I've ever ridden, hands down...The thing would literally gain speed while coasting...

monocoquecomplete1.jpg

monocoquecomplete2.jpg

monocoquecomplete3.jpg

monocoquecomplete4.jpg

Mine was pretty much this one in 2004.

My Redline MXII.jpg

It really started out as a '93 chrome Redline f/f with a repro Proline sticker set on it, and some chrome Haro Group 1 bars with just about all these other parts. I do remember though at a point it first had different brake levers and generic red mushroom grips when I had the Haro bars on it. I wish I could find a picture of it at that time. I'll keep looking because I know I have some somewhere. Eventually within a short time though it looked exactly like this, but with the other F/F. Not long after I had that all built up I came across this MX II frame and switched everything over to it and used the Tange forks instead of the 93 Redline ones.

I still have it and it sat like this picture until early this summer. A friend of mine had an exchange student coming to stay with him and he asked if I had a bike the kid could use. He didn't want anything really nice in case it got damaged or stolen, but I said I'd hook him up with something. I ended up building up that chrome 93 again with the Haro bars, taking the wheels (with '93 ACS hubs funny enough, I didn't buy them together), tires and pedals from this one. Now this one sits there with no wheels on it, but I will eventually build it back up with some different, decent parts on it. It's got some good stuff, but there's still some generic stuff too that's gotta go. It's got a fake pro neck, lee chi brakes, those were fake DX pedals, new Oury grips, some generic alloy bars. I'd like to make it nice, knowing what I know now, compared to then.

My first build was my og racer from back in the day, i cherished this thing, raced it and lived on it from dawn to dusk in my early teens >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fast forward a few years, chasing girls and girls, then when i was in my early twenties i caught the travel bug, packed it in, kissed my folks goodbye and purchased a one way ticket to the UK, I left my trusty PR in my old riding buddy safe hands, was offshore for three years, found a Canadian bird in the Greek Islands that moved back here with me, BMX was the furthest thing from my mind at this time (its funny how things change 'eh), broke up with said Canadian, moved to many a bachelor pad, met my wife married with kids and over a beer with Dad one lazy Sunday we got talking about the money he spent on that bloody Patterson BMX, drove over 4hrs to Sydney (from central west NSW)....BING, the memories came flooding back, he mentioned that its still under the house on the hot water system.............off i go to collect it, the rest as they say is history!

A decade or so under the house.

P7020393.jpg

P7020390.jpg

A bit of a google search and bumping into a few BMX nutters in this virtual world and it was nearly brought back to my old racing spec, this was my first build/restore undertaken when i got back into it 2007/2008.

prrrr.jpg

P2071864.jpg

P2041787.jpg

P2041795.jpg

PC010902.jpg

Cheers

B

This was my very first build from scratch back in August of 2010. A few parts have changed on it since then.

'75 Dan Gurnney Hardtail

bmx046.jpg

bmx011.jpg

bmx097.jpg

I was lucky. I went to rockford in 07. I met kiw,todzilla and area 211. In 08 i brought my profile. I had early pro racer bars on it. I asked those 3 if i should replace the die cut decal. Before i could even finish, a big NO came out of all 3. What im guilty of is polishing shiney side hoops.

This is the one and only bike ive ever had powdered. It had been painted when i got it. All the parts were nos when i put it together. Im glad i met those 3 guys. Who knows what mite have happened.

34616_1410918265444_1007103258_31086820_8067924_n.jpg

My first "build" in the hobby was my 1994 S&M Widowmaker. I was happy with the way it turned out except for the lack of S&M Gay Bars which I eventually found and put on. Here it is before it had the correct bars...

DSCN0891.JPG

• Like 1

My first and only build so far is a replica of my first Cruiser. A few small changes since Ive never scored Profile bars or replicas. So I cant put the NOS Owings I have waiting for it.

Also I had 7x and not these rims and I had SCP pads but cant find the color I had or repops.

But the bike is very close to the bike I rode at NM and UT USBA Nationals in 1985.

6dxy6v.jpg

2hqqu60.jpg

2i9tocn.jpg

***I have about 16 bikes waiting to get restored but no place to keep them once done so they stay in pieces.

• Like 2

20150412_120140.jpg20150412_120058.jpg           powder coated but Brian Hays garbage is my treasure! first build in 30 something years.

Edited by oldjoe
  • Like 1

BOTY week bump...

everybody might not have a bike to enter for this year's BOTY, maybe they could post a pic of their first build.    let's see 'em. 

I think this is the first bike I restored.

24" Powerlite Cruiser

There are some before and after shots.

I had the repairs done by Rodney Miles and he took care of the powder coat. Rodney is a great guy and always did great work. His knowledge of BMX mixed with his metal working skills always made him a pleasure to deal with.

I loved this bike, but like most bikes from the 80's I was disappointed with the  ride quality and comfort in a world of modern bikes.

Truth be told, these early Powerlite 24" frames were 26" front triangles with a smaller rear triangles welded on and 24" forks. The handling of this bike is not great.

I think My parts choice was pretty good.

I would use real CW bars if I built this bike again.

020.JPG

024.JPG

063.JPG

064.JPG

070.JPG

066.JPG

179.JPG

068.JPG

184.JPG

181.JPG

180.JPG

183.JPG

182.JPG

185.JPG

186.JPG

Edited by Smokin Steve Styler

I built my first bmx bike in 1974, then my second build in 77 and my third in 81 never built a bike since. The first one was a pos that I got stock and put motocross bars and plate, tires, seat and pads on. The second build was a Stingray I found on the dump and the 3rd was a chrome CYC Stormer I built with as many red anodized parts as I could find. Most pics are on slides but I got a few of the first and second here.

First bike was a girls bike, so I made a top tube for it and clamped it on. This is not the first handlebars, the first ones were low and super wide like a real dirt bike had.

IMG_20081231_170112_zpso9n0xfiz.jpg?1450

And this is the dump find, I basically took everything off the girls bike and put it on this.

IMG_20081231_170159_zpsriwo6skb.jpg

And the CYC, I will get the slides worked on soon, I just found them the other day.

IMG_20090103_193813_zpsf9emmsyi.jpg

built this copy of the stingrays sandy finklemen built back in 73-74 bought the handle bars off him

schwinn_pics_006_lg.jpg

Edited by z-4wheldrft

JMC Racer love the bike history. I too built my first bike back in 1976 with a motocross conversion kit. We didnt even know it was called BMX we called it simply Motocross or Trail Riding. I actually made my first race in 1978 on a Stingray my neighbor built using the kit in 1976. No pictures so thanks for sharing yours.

Now I wish Sandy was alive because I have a question for him. I just scored some Wheels-N-Things catalogs. They are from 79-81 era I think. It says he began building BMX bikes in 1972. Yet there was no BMX tracks in San Diego back then. So did he learn of BMX while up in LA or did a SD racer visit LA and get Sandy started etc. Now we will never know.

I'm happy to laugh at myself also  :nonono:

About 3 years ago was when I realised I never owned a set of Tuffs as a kid. Don't know what made me realise that but it led me down a fairly strange path to say the least! 

I bought a couple of frames, I couldn't even remember now what my first framset was to be honest (even though it's only 3 years ago).

But when I bought this one, I decided i wanted to build it. It would be my first build and first rider in about 25 years!! 

When I was done, i was pretty chuffed. I was lucky enough that many of you experienced guys had the decency to politely point out the flaws instead of just sending me off the hobby. 

IMAG05511_zps2b5c0aba.jpg

Needless to say, after looking back through all of the lessons that you guys have learned and shared, I went ahead and made them myself anyway  :doh:

Check the seat and guts! And the stem height. Retro cranks wasn't the worst choice for a rider, but the $12 repop Wellgo pedals certainly will never see the light of day again  :OffWith:

Edited by rangerjames

Here's a before and after of my first build. After my kids were born I had heaps more time at home. Really needed to fill in the time. Bought this on e-bay and that was it. I stripped and polished this thing until my fingers bled. At the time I was so proud of it and it ride and stopped well. Mid school wasn't my thing though. I wanted to build some bikes I wanted as a kid but could never have.

My first old school build was a bike that an older guy near me had owned when I was a kid. I bought it fairly complete and made some upgrades from there. The rest is history as they say... Happy to say my tastes have changed over time but my love of old school hasn't. Have many to thank for that

image_zpswppccsru.jpg

a91dba7dc31c14350193c1e40ec4f3c7_zps2222

imagejpg1_zps8770b6e9.jpg

• Like 1

Got back into BMX around 3 years ago now and having had Redlines back in the late 70s early 80s thought I would look for something to build. Well the addiction bit and found myself drawn to the 70s bikes I had only seen in magazines and adverts.

Saying I would never join Facebook and did I found my way to the Redline pages and have now met some great guys.

The 76 Squareback by one friend and I bought it stripped and polished, ready for new nickel.

The 77 non gusset Proline via ebay so slowly gathered parts for them.

Here in the UK we had RAD 17 coming up and aimed to get them built up in time.

Due to work commitments I literally had 1 day to get them up and together, finishing at 1 am. (Will never forget that day lol)

Some parts are NOS and others have been restored or polished. Still some parts to change but for 1st builds for along time happy with how they turned out.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

IMG_20171231_011907571.jpg

Edited by Coupes