Sign in to follow this  
boxline69

Let's have a Cook Bros info thread

Well I just finished these. I tried to re-create a Cook Bros. wheel set for my Chris Mizar build. What'ya think Dennis.

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

Those wheels look bad ass Joe!

Great job on the recreation.

Thanks man!!! It took forever, trying not to scratch the blue when lacing them was hell. I was going to put some tape on them to protect them but it may have left some residue on the fresh paint.

Someone commented on my no gusset 1982 Cook Bros on another site, at which time I started to do some digging and found this thread... sorry I'm so late to the party. Last night I reached out to the guy I purchased the bike from a couple years ago, but he did not have much information aside from directing me back to this thread and urging me to upload some pictures. I cannot remember if I determined it was a 1982 from the serial # or if he told me it was an 82 when he sold it to me. The bike is hanging on my wall currently next to a Patterson PR200 (I have high ceilings, no garage, eight bikes, and a very understanding girlfriend) and the top tubes appear to be about the same length; it is definitely not a mini. The only Cook Bros parts are the frame, fork, and cranks (not original to this bike), and it has a euro bottom bracket. The forks are drilled, the decals were all on it when I got it, the chain tensioning screws are bent to shit but were on the bike when I got it, and there is no cross bar behind the bottom bracket. Any info from the gurus is appreciated.

82 Cook Bros 1.jpg

82 Cook Bros 2.jpg

82 Cook Bros 3.jpg

82 Cook Bros 4.jpg

Here's a parts list for anyone that is interested:

Cook Bros frame and fork

Cook Bros cranks (scalloped on backsides)
Suntour XCII pedals with powdered cages 
Al's Rapid Transit unknurled bars
A'ME tri repops
DC MX1000 
New Terry Cable
Kashimax Aero repop
CW layback post
Ukai wheels 
Pete's chainring 
Helix seat post clamp
Cebe double clamp stem
Cal Lite pads
  • Like 1

can any of you guys decipher this Cooks serial #:   CADL M0894673

Steve

Steve, I just sent you a message through ebay. That's a California Drivers License number that was scratched into the BB shell. Cook Bros stamped their serial numbers to the left/non-drive side dropout, or a frame got no number at all. 

Steve

Steve, I just sent you a message through ebay. That's a California Drivers License number that was scratched into the BB shell. Cook Bros stamped their serial numbers to the left/non-drive side dropout, or a frame got no number at all. 

Hey Ryan,

Tried to PM you, but system said no dice, lol.

Didn't get your ebay message...I'm "neverenoughjunk" on there.

Is the Cooks MTB yours?...it's very cool.

cheers,

Steve

Edited by eastcoaststeve

Steve

Hey Ryan,

cheers,

Steve

Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were the seller of the bike on ebay. I've been talking with him trying to get the actual frame number off the dropout. 

Steve

Hey Ryan,

cheers,

Steve

Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were the seller of the bike on ebay. I've been talking with him trying to get the actual frame number off the dropout. 

No probs...but if it was mine, it wouldn't be for sale  :wink:

Good luck on the research.

Steve

Bump for a cool thread and to also ask what fork, in the absence of the og, would people recommend for an '81 - '83 frame? Any thoughts on a Tange TX-1200?

Another bump for another Cooks question, this time regarding the Euro BB. In the absence of the og Cooks set-up, would an aftermarket Euro BB work ok? I should add that I don't know the first thing about Euro BBs!!

Edited by Mikku

Another bump for another Cooks question, this time regarding the Euro BB. In the absence of the og Cooks set-up, would an aftermarket Euro BB work ok? I should add that I don't know the first thing about Euro BBs!!

as long as they fit the cranks you are using and they are wide enough any euro BB should work... somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

Bump for a cool thread and to also ask what fork, in the absence of the og, would people recommend for an '81 - '83 frame? Any thoughts on a Tange TX-1200?

anything in that era would be cool as long as it's quality. I'm partial to GT, Torker, CW, Powerlite forks myself

The CBR Euro BB is not threaded. They look like they were, but, were drilled out a bit. So I'm not sure how you'd make that work. So my thought it no, it won't work. 

Bearings are what fit the frame. I think it's an R8 sized bearing with a snap ring. Standard, off the shelf bearing. (Size may be wrong, but, the important point is, it's an off the shelf bearing.

So, if you can find a spindle that is the right length, and then, a bearing that has the same ID and OD you need, you can make it work.

But, not a Euro BB.

These are the press fit bearings that Mark is referring to. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FAT-CITY-Cycles-press-in-bottom-bracket-bearings-CHANCE-press-fit-/252511224101?hash=item3acad78125:g:VdgAAOxyYSdTFoDR

And here's a spindle and collars that will work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cook-Bros-Bullseye-Bottom-Bracket-5-8-Spindle-Kit-120mm-BMX-Cruiser-Vintage-/272355475073?hash=item3f69a6be81:g:JK8AAOSwQupXXazP

You can use most square taper cranks with this spindle. Like Cook Bros, Sugino, Dura Ace etc.

The bearing was a Genbearco 9R-10 which is the same used in the adapter for the standard bottom bracket. There is no snap ring. The bottom bracket tubing was machined to accept the bearing as a press fit.

The bearing was a Genbearco 9R-10 which is the same used in the adapter for the standard bottom bracket. There is no snap ring. The bottom bracket tubing was machined to accept the bearing as a press fit.

R10 - that makes sense. R6 is for Sunshine hubs and the like, so a bit bigger that makes sense. So ANY R10 bearing will work. Every other number/letter is just a feature.

The snap ring is optional, but, I'd recommend it. If you don't use it, you have to consider that the bearings could continue to wiggle deeper into the BB over time (with use). Or, you could use an internal sleeve to help with that. I like the snap rings. Almost too easy.