Sign in to follow this  
keep_it_warm

COMPLETED: S&M Menstrual Cycle

Earlier this year I was going through a bit of late 70's-to-mid 80's burnout. I wanted something new. Something totally different. In August I stopped in to see a good friend of mine and we were talking about this very thing. He said, "I've got something totally different for you if you are interested. How about a Midschool, Freestyle project?"

I was clueless, so I asked to see the frameset in question. A 1994/95 S&M Menstrual Cycle frame with matching Stupid fork AND ultra-rare (as I quickly found out) Menstrual stem. All original finish and decals intact. The combo is an early version with open-ended seat stay and chain stay tubes at the rear dropouts. Serial Number is: 000127

Then came the hard part - figuring out what to use for components. It was not easy for me and I know I really bugged a few people. Probably too much. After purchasing the frame/fork/stem I learned that this was a very limited run project by S&M with Keith Treanor. Fortunately for me, the kid I got the items from also knows Keith! He put me in contact with him and we went back and forth with e-mails about "what was preferred", "what was taboo", and what was "the vibe" in the mid-1990's scene. Along with HUGE help and advice from OS-BMX members like Spur, Jay Brand, rockabillyjay, Owl and wagonguy I think the bike came out very nice!

Originally, I had planned to use Prince Albert cranks on it, but being laid off for much of 2009, that just wasn't an option financially. Also, I tried my best to locate used parts that matched up good with the used condition of the frameset. For the most part, I think I did really well, but there are certain components that were NOS (sprocket, front tire, seat clamp, 990 brake arms and grips). Everything else is used and looks perfect, especially the well-worn seat, pegs and pedals!

Check it out!

BREAKDOWN (original finish on EVERYTHING):

• FRAME: 1994/95 S&M Menstrual Cycle
  • FORK: S&M Stupid Fork
  • HEADSET: Beartrap 2
  • STEM: S&M Menstrual Stem
  • BARS: S&M Slam Bars (Slam Dancer)
  • GRIPS: Jive Handles
  • BRAKE LEVER: Dia Compe Tech 77
  • BRAKE: Dia Compe AD990
  • CRANKSET: Unstamped Profile (180mm, complete set w/ BB)
  • PEDALS: GT platform
  • SPROCKET: Profile ripsaw
  • CHAIN: Izumi
  • WHEELSET: Peregrine Super Pro 48�s
  • TIRES: GT Freestyle front / Primo V-Monster rear
  • PEGS: Standard Hand Grenades
  • SEAT: Selle Turbo
  • SEATPOST: Primo Rod (date-stamped 1996, but it�s the best I could find)
  • SEAT CLAMP: TNT

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

Earlier this year I was going through a bit of late 70’s-to-mid 80’s burnout. I wanted something new. Something totally different. In August I stopped in to see a good friend of mine and we were talking about this very thing. He said, “I’ve got something totally different for you if you are interested. How about a Midschool, Freestyle project?”

I was clueless, so I asked to see the frameset in question. A 1994/95 S&M Menstrual Cycle frame with matching Stupid fork AND ultra-rare (as I quickly found out) Menstrual stem. All original finish and decals intact. The combo is an early version with open-ended seat stay and chain stay tubes at the rear dropouts. Serial Number is: 000127

Then came the hard part – figuring out what to use for components. It was not easy for me and I know I really bugged a few people. Probably too much. After purchasing the frame/fork/stem I learned that this was a very limited run project by S&M with Keith Treanor. Fortunately for me, the kid I got the items from also knows Keith! He put me in contact with him and we went back and forth with e-mails about ‘what was preferred’, ‘what was taboo’, and what was ‘the vibe’ in the mid-1990’s scene. Along with HUGE help and advice from OS-BMX members like Spur, Jay Brand, rockabillyjay, …Owl and wagonguy I think the bike came out very nice!

Originally, I had planned to use Prince Albert cranks on it, but being laid off for much of 2009, that just wasn’t an option financially. Also, I tried my best to locate used parts that matched up good with the used condition of the frameset. For the most part, I think I did really well, but there are certain components that were NOS (sprocket, front tire, seat clamp, 990 brake arms and grips). Everything else is used and looks perfect – especially the well-worn seat, pegs and pedals!

Check it out…

BREAKDOWN (original finish on EVERYTHING):

• FRAME: 1994/95 S&M Menstrual Cycle
  • FORK: S&M Stupid Fork
  • HEADSET: Beartrap 2
  • STEM: S&M Menstrual Stem
  • BARS: S&M Slam Bars (Slam Dancer)
  • GRIPS: Jive Handles
  • BRAKE LEVER: Dia Compe Tech 77
  • BRAKE: Dia Compe AD990
  • CRANKSET: Unstamped Profile (180mm, complete set w/ BB)
  • PEDALS: GT platform
  • SPROCKET: Profile ripsaw
  • CHAIN: Izumi
  • WHEELSET: Peregrine Super Pro 48’s
  • TIRES: GT Freestyle front / Primo V-Monster rear
  • PEGS: Standard Hand Grenades
  • SEAT: Selle Turbo
  • SEATPOST: Primo Rod (date-stamped 1996, but it’s the best I could find)
  • SEAT CLAMP: TNT

IMG_0617.JPG

Looks awesome! Now if I can can find someone to repep my toptube decal and the fork decals I will be

able to do mine, I plan on building mine similar with all correct era parts.

thanks Jay and Ben. Regarding the front brake...the kid (I call him kid because he is much younger than me) that I got the frame/fork/stem from actually rode the bike.

I asked him about a front brake. He said, "Naaa, don't do it. I never ran a front brake on it." He then added, "There's nothing wrong with a front brake, some people run em, some don't."

I just decided to build it with out one. Once the weather breaks and I can get out and about on the bike, I'll decide about adding a front setup.

Tom,

you never cease to amaze with your builds!!! Keep up the great work!

:break:

Jaw dropping. You have to hand it to Tom, for a guy who was not in this era, interpreted it perfectly. I am proud of this guy!

Dope ass rig!

I really like it. Looks perfect, and the parts selection is very dialed.

So good... I had to come back for another look.

Tom

your a bike building asshole ( :P :lol: :) ).....plain and simple.....you got 70's...under control....80's....shiiiitt TJ build....NOW this..... I HATE YOU!!!!!

Awesome job Tom!!!!!

no matter how much your wife HATES the name of the bike (does this bike stay in the garage???? :whistling: :Creepin: :wink: ) seriously you did ANOTHER build RIGHT..............AGAIN!!!

Thank you guys. I sure hope it looks realistic because thats what I want it to be. I wanted people to take a look and think: 'Yea, I remember people riding that (component x, y, or z).

My first plan when the weather breaks is to take it back to the guy I bought it from and let him hop on and ride.

P.S. Dialing in 990 brakes for the first time ever SUCKS! ha ha ha

Ya I love this ride. I need to find a nice mid f&f this year to build. Cruiser for me tho. Great job Tom!

That came out perfect. It looks great just how it is, no need for a front brake. I quit running a front brake in 93 and only my mini ramp bike has one now. Im green with envy and those Jive Handles fit it like a glove. Nice job.

I love it Tom!

Im a newbie to mid-school and 99% done with my build now. Its like learning all over again. I think it turned out great. I especially like it because I know the time and soul searching Tommy Boy put into finding this bike and the era correctness that went into it.

Id like to take that for a ride buddy!

Excellent job man!

Thats a good looking rig Tom, it looks like it would ride nice...good lines.

Those are the grips, Rob. And thank you so much. I used the end caps from one of the other sets I picked up hastily along the way. The other set was red, but they just didn't look right to me.

Tom,

It looks great man. You made me proud. Way to keep the Puss Flow tradition going!

Stephen

I had to revisit this thread... such a good build Tom. We need to get Treanor on here.

If you ever decide to part with this... please run it by me, and hopefully I'll have the scratch.

I had this same frame in chrome.Pretty similar build to the one I had except I had Elf Blast bars,Redline Flite cranks and sprocket and basic Silencer pegs.I loved the bike until it was stolen :Frustration:

Great bikes are always worth a 2nd look and comment. Tom really nailed this build, so much soul, and on his first mid-school attempt. Some people just have "it".