Sign in to follow this  
mhttnbch-ca

Busted...

this should be done for all these fools that are passing off fake stuff as original..

All of those GT Mallet Stems come to mind...

Hey Aggy, with all those feedback from one person, can't ebay track it (they own paypal for crying out loud) to assure money exchanged hands every transaction? That would be a big case of either shill bidding, false feedback padding....or both. Ebay should know about that as well, those are all dishonest business practices that undermine their efforst to provide a safe and honest 'trading' community.

I know alot of you keep tabs on the integrity of the hobby, seems like OS-BMX sets the standard for keeping folks in the 'loop' when it comes to spotting fakes, counterfeits. or questionable items being passed off (repairs, fillers, re-paints etc) All the while, other so called BMX sites that cover the hobby seem to embrace refinishing perfectly good relics and doing retarded things to vintage bikes and parts.

So it may seem like an uphill battle, but if enough of us keep pressure on these dildos (like sunnysgirl) maybe the message will be loud and clear.

So I'm surfin da Bay and I see this auction (and yeah, I know this guy is old news)

LG ebaY auction

These are NOT real LGs. I have 2 real sets and had a fake set from the same fabricator (I'm guessin') as these - they are identical to the ones I had. Notice the dropouts on the real ones are placed further down the fork leg and the triangle of the dropout is a bit slimmer but it's hard to tell in a photo. :angry:

I've just about had it up to hear with all this nonesense. Am I the only one?

Hey Brett if you can please take pics of the the fake ones and post them in comparison of the real ones.

It would people be able to identify real from fake.

the pics you posted here are the real ones right?

Who was it that said Sunnysgirl was at a Socal gathering this summer bragging about making the SE bars. I saw it here at some point.

I was talking with Blikum and KRISTEVEN here when my son took the pic. I saw Roger (rount top tube PK) and decided to go say Hello. Sunnysgirl was in the middle of telling the 2 (Roger and Fernando) how Sal makes all of his forks , frames and bars and how they are still technically NOS because Sal built them...then he points to his 24" Quad

uy.JPG

Yikes! He's way too close to my bikes. Probably taking measurements for future repops.

Sunnysgirls last email to me last night:

"everything i sell is what i say it is.i have never said i'm selling nos se stuff,look at my auctions they don't say nos..everything i sell is bought off the ebay or from sellers like you that runs under the radar.theres guys selling frames as nos right now but you'r so bline you can't even see them.anyways i have a life to get back too,just don't have the time to nark or stick my head in somones els bizz."

TL was online when I emailed him and replied right away with this email:

"Thanks, yo. Yeah, the forks look WAY too new. But how can we tell that the bars are fake? Lemme know & I will pop 'em!"

Thanks.

TODD LYONS | SE Brand Manager

and then later last night, this reply:

"Just zapped 'em! Thanks."

Has anyone seen these bars in person? What are the differences from genuine SE??

Thanks Aggy. You rock.

Sunnysgirls last email to me last night:

"everything i sell is what i say it is.i have never said i'm selling nos se stuff,look at my auctions they don't say nos..everything i sell is bought off the ebay or from sellers like you that runs under the radar.theres guys selling frames as nos right now but you'r so bline you can't even see them.anyways i have a life to get back too,just don't have the time to nark or stick my head in somones els bizz."

TL was online when I emailed him and replied right away with this email:

"Thanks, yo. Yeah, the forks look WAY too new. But how can we tell that the bars are fake? Lemme know & I will pop 'em!"

Thanks.

and then later last night, this reply:

"Just zapped 'em! Thanks."

Has anyone seen these bars in person? What are the differences from genuine SE??

Thanks Aggy. You rock.

I thought I heard the sweep was a bit off....

the bars are very very hard to distinguish. Its almost impossible. best way to tell is provenance.

if you got em from Sunnysgirl they are fake.......only sure way to tell as far as im concearned.

I would love to know the difference in sweep or crossbar diameter or whatever else may be the distiguishing factor..

Why doesn't SE just JDB Sal? I am sure a nice letter from there lawyer would put a stop to this BS.

Why doesn't SE just JDB Sal? I am sure a nice letter from there lawyer would put a stop to this BS.

I agree.. JDB did do some things right..

SE should follow suit..

after all, they are "In your face" Ripping off the SE name.. and have no remorse about doing so.

All the while, in some respect killing the collectability and the provenance of the OS SE parts.

In other words.. It is good for NO ONE but this seller that is laughing all the way to the bank

So I'm surfin da Bay and I see this auction (and yeah, I know this guy is old news)

LG ebaY auction

These are NOT real LGs. I have 2 real sets and had a fake set from the same fabricator (I'm guessin') as these - they are identical to the ones I had. Notice the dropouts on the real ones are placed further down the fork leg and the triangle of the dropout is a bit slimmer but it's hard to tell in a photo. :angry:

I've just about had it up to hear with all this nonesense. Am I the only one?

Hey Brett if you can please take pics of the the fake ones and post them in comparison of the real ones.

It would people be able to identify real from fake.

the pics you posted here are the real ones right?

The black ones I posted are the genuine article. Correct. I may have a pic of the fake ones I used to have...

Found 'em.

Here are the fakes. Easy to spot because the dropouts are different and welded further "up" the fork leg. They are also a bit fatter of a triangle. In addition, I'm pretty sure the fakes fork legs are less rounded where they meet at the top (more of a GT curve than a Hutch)

As for the bars, check to see if the crossbar is straight from looking in the direction of the crossbar to the bottom where the neck mounts. Hard to get that straight. Anyone who bought those "Rebars" know's what I'm talking about.

here ya go...FAKES:

Nice brett!

thanks for that. is the lock nut slot in front or in the rear?

also not to be a pain could you post these same angle pics of your real deal forks? like the arch radius?

WTF is a lock nut slot? Sorry, maybe I'm just having a blonde moment.

Here are what I have of the OGs...

sorry should have said lock-washer slot. a lock washer has a little tab on it, is part of your headset. the fork has a slot on the top part of the steerer where it is threaded.

im tripping over words here. sorry.

awesome pics though perfect.

the Lock washer slot. :)

DSCN0406.JPG

Aaaahhhhhh, duuuuhhhh. Is it beer-thirty yet??!!

So if it's real is should be on the front. I zoomed the blue fakes I posted on my computer and there is nothing on the front.

..I kind of feel I need to raise a point..

I am involved in another hobby ( Star Wars props.. specifically Vader) where province is EVERYTHING and fakes are abundant.

I love the fact that this guy got popped, and everyone here is concerned enough about the hobby to post a warning and share photos of the distinguishing factors that allow you to spot a fake.

The down side is the photos of what was done wrong can now be used to make fakes even harder to spot…basically a blueprint of what a counterfeiter needs to fix to pass it of as legit.

In my other hobby, there are many “tells” to an original ( or something descended directly from one) and some of those “tells” are heavily guarded secrets, with pics only exchanging hands privately. This is the down side of a hobby with many opportunists looking to take advantage of noobs and their wallets. Blurring of details in pics is common practice.

I hope we are not at that point, but something to consider when sharing pics showing a direct comparisons to a fake in my opinion..

well its not like Sal or Sunnysgrill dont have access to real forks. Sal fucking made em bitd for cryin out loud. and Sunny knows enough to figure it out without our help.

I am positive they know what the differences are. I am sure of it. 100%

I know what your saying though.....but they would have changed em up a long time ago if that was a factor.

I guess its kind of dammed if you do dammed if you dont kind of thing.

Its a valid point though....and even funnier enough these distinguishing factors have been posted before if I am remembering correctly. I may have even posted them myself previously, cant remember and I dont feel like searching the threads right now.

I am stuck between feeling like it should be posted and it should be guarded.....i havent decided for myself which is proper........ :Idunno:

the case with these forks is different. there are soooo many out there that if you are serious about duping them, you buy one and then jig it up. as a matter of fact, you kind of have to have an original example to repop it, a photo isn't enough. something worth thinking about, but we aren't collecting one offs, and they're not expensive collectables compared to what you are talking about, so we're good. :ThumbsUp:

agreed. in most instances, the originals are easily purchased and inspected up close and personal. it's just the way it is... this guy is a blowhard though, have to agree on that...

The reality,

Grown men sitting and cyphering the difference between bicycle forks either being made 25 years ago or yesterday.....I get it yet I feel the urge to say

Nerds!

Will, with all due respect do you really even care?

From the fake plate and bars I always kind of thought you were pro repro..

:-)

Good points both Will and Owl...

I guess I am just conditioned ine the cloak of secrecy surrounding Vader junk ... what a nerd :)

You should post some pics of your Vader junk up in off track or somewhere. I'm an old Star Wars nerd myself, I've got a small collection of Vader toys. No props, but I used to own a Don Post mask years ago.