Sign in to follow this  
S.Brothers

2-Hip Meet The Street

Glad this post got bumped. I missed so many cool things in the years I was out of bmx. That video was cool and it was really interesting to see guys doing what I thought were really contemporary tricks way back at the end of the 80s riding bikes even with tuff wheels.

I am really happy I got back into BMX and it is really cool that I can enjoy the sport at my age. I am making up for lost time. Last night here in Cologne it was cold, rainy and dreary. A friend of mine and I took the opportunity of going to a parking lot and practicing manuals for an hour and half. Finally a guard kicked us out!

2-Hip Meet the Street Brooklin Banks thread and no picture of Large Ray and the "Rayfro"?!

I am dissappoint :Scrutiny:

sometimes I have to revisit this thread, and reflect on guerilla style bmx events and how rad that era was...

Man, those were the days. That was a key time in freestyle. I'd say that was the end of what we think of as 'oldschool' freestyle right there. That event, and the others like it are responsible for pushing the sport to where it is now.

What's amazing is how things crashed so quickly after this. You had a huge event like this, with most of the top pros in attendance, and within a year, it was pretty much over. I remember looking at magazine coverage of contests and all of a sudden not knowing any of the rider names. It was as if everyone disappeared overnight. I guess we can thank the sponsors for that, although, the sport changed so fast, I suppose they didn't know how to handle it.

ha! that's me in the greyish shirt up front! That was a fantastic day!

http://bmxsociety.co...12071_thumb.jpg

Nice!

Consider me Jealous!

A few friends of mine went to Brookly Banks that day and I didn't get to go.... I was so pissed - especially when the next issue of Freestylin' came out and there was tons of coverage of it. Then all the footage in the Eddie Roman vids.... (even more pissed).... and now seeing these old pics .... (even more pissed).

The early MTS contests were a game changer for the sport.

:)

ha! that's me in the greyish shirt up front! That was a fantastic day!

http://bmxsociety.co...12071_thumb.jpg

Nice!

Consider me Jealous!

A few friends of mine went to Brookly Banks that day and I didn't get to go.... I was so pissed - especially when the next issue of Freestylin' came out and there was tons of coverage of it. Then all the footage in the Eddie Roman vids.... (even more pissed).... and now seeing these old pics .... (even more pissed).

The early MTS contests were a game changer for the sport.

:)

Matt, Voelker sold my Red Dyno for me on the box ramp that day, he held it up & yelled "for sale" and in seconds there was a swarm, they all though it was his lmao it sold in like 12 seconds.

You definitely picked the absolute perfect salesman to unload a Red Dyno!

Voelker88RedChromePCTMRideMag.jpg

i went to the meet the street that was at emmy's bike shop in NYC

that was a full on "street" weekend, a friend of mine and myself started our venture to NYC on our bikes on the friday night before the comp... we lived in south NJ.

rode up to the bus depot about 20 miles away, waited for the next NYC bus (riding in the parking lot the whole time) hopped the NYC bus and finally got into the city at about 4am.

rode all over the place trying to get aquainted and figure out where we needed to go. finally ran into craig grasso and realized we were there....

more people showed up and there were some cars parked in the "no parking" zones as the road was to be closed...... well, a bunch of us actually carried a VW rabbit onto the sidewalk, and lets just say some cars became road obstacles.

met vic murphy and pete augustin there and took a subway ride up to mullaly park in the bronx for a bit, came back to the competition.

i bent my skyway t/a 360 in half there and a friend told ron W who hooked me up with a sport frame. got some dirt bros swag from vic and pete and had a great time......

got back home sometime sunday........ stoked!

Kevin Martin Lo Jolla meet the street

l.jpg

NICE!!!!

That' a great shot.

Getting his "Aggression" out on the 2-Hip jalopy.

You almost never see footage of the Mic Man on a bike.