Sign in to follow this  
401flightcranks

Rare hubs. Did anyone else see these?

Not outing the auctions...because they are over. :ermm:

Did anyone notice the four (yes - 4!) SST coaster brake hubs (ie: Woody Itson Freestyler) that sold on eBay in the last 17 days or so? There could not have been too many shipped to the east coast, let alone 10 going to Rhode Island (per the seller). Hot damn! The ultimate freestyle hub in my opinion. Did these go under the radar or did other people see them?

!BkRoK(QB2k~$(KGrHqYOKioEsnf),D2HBLW5KNsg7!~~_12.jpg

!Bk+55UQBmk~$(KGrHqUH-DcEtCL!lCV)BLZ03Wvbtg~~_12.jpg

!BkRoQYgCGk~$(KGrHqEOKjkEsmdl1)FQBLW5KnVW6w~~_12.jpg

!BlZP5fgBWk~$(KGrHqMOKj0EtDhRNicmBLbg8W85Lw~~_3.jpg

sst 0031.JPG

sst 0021.JPG

sst 0011.JPG

Hey Mark, congrats. The first one went under the radar for sure, I was bummed I missed that one and the second one went way faster, BIN. I should be getting 1 of the 4 this week myself. Seller is a good guy for sure and use to own a bike shop in the 80's.

Yup saw them Mark

...and the one I remember the most went for $999 I believe.

Hi,my name is Duke. I'm the guy who sold the 4 hubs. It's funny to hear Mark talk so highly about the hubs since he used paypal to freeze my account well after he recieved hub. He made me give him back $100 so he could regrease hub. Pretty expensive grease ! I tried to reason with paypal but he had to agree. I even put him in contact with Woody, but Mark was determined to renegotiate and make me give him back $100. I suggested he have his local bike shop do repairs and give me my change. He said no then started taunting me via emails. I told him most collectors would not want hub with fresh grease, old hub, old grease. He was just determined to take a discount at my expence. The other 3 I sold, I made 3 freinds. Including Woody. 3 out of 4 ain't bad. Duke

Not saying you're telling the truth or lying but I've been in similar situations as a seller and all I can say is there's not much to be gained from posting about it. If it can't be helped there's another forum around here called Bad Experiences where your post would be more appropriate. As it stands all you've done is mess with a thread about stupid rare hubs.

Have any more SST? :15:

Ooh. This oughta be good.....

Seda. I'm not knocking Mark. I have no idea what is up but Duke has the same right to post here as anyone else. No need to climb on him.

Way to go Brian! A deal is a deal. Men will be men and boys will be boys. But Seda has a point. I will definately be posting on Bad Experiences. I've still need to figure out the system here, but I'm here to stay. I'm building what will be the only BMX track in R.I. this summer on my land, and reopening my bike shop.

I think my posting also belongs here because the hubs in the article were sold by me. The hubs are very rare and their journey should be told from my perspective. I kept them safe all these years. He's had one for 10 minutes, and already it's his claim to fame...at a discount no less. There,s a word for people who in one breath complain to the point of breach of contract and in the next breath call something the "GREATEST OF ALL TIMES", but I'll save that word for the bad experience column. PEACE OUT, Duke.

I'm with Brian, post away. You are as much involved with this post as the topic starter.

Hey Duke. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's Marks claim to fame. He's a very high end collector with a superb collection and his pockets run deep when he sees a rare, one of a kind part. So with all due respect, it's not fair to label the guy you don't know. I'm sorry you got a "hunnit" taken from you, that stinks and seems very expensive for grease. I'm a Rhode Islander myself so maybe one day we'll laugh about this over a quahog.

Yes, I bought the hub from Duke. Its not my claim to fame, as I have no claim to fame. The hub was listed as NOS and one of 90 hubs made (???) with 9 of those hubs set aside for Gold Trick Stars (???). However, I had spoke to Duke prior to the auction's end and he advised that it was laced and used at one time. I was fine with that. When I received said hub, I noticed that the bearing cover under the coaster brake hanger was bent inward. The black, ink like substance leaking out was the old grease. The hub spun and sounded like there was sand in the bearings. OK, I knew that the hub needed re-greased and re-built. Not a problem, but I had to buy several items to fix the problem: 1 NOS Suntour coaster brake hub to scavenge the correct bearing cover, one cone wrench (not exactly something that you can buy at Lowe's) and new grease from my LBS. I did the work myself, and the hub spins great now. Its important to note that I did not ask PayPal to freeze Duke's account. I don't have the power to do such a thing because I do not own PayPal. I wanted to send the hub back to Duke for a full refund, but he stated that he would work with me. I asked for a partial refund or full refund (less shipping) and the hub would have been promptly shipped back to Duke. Duke sent a partial refund of $100.00 to me via PayPal (the amount that I requested). Once PayPal closed the dispute, Duke started to leave me strange voice mail messages on my cell phone and sent me messages through eBay. He wanted $100.00 back, then $80.00 and finally, $50.00. The last two voice messages on my cell phone are comic gold! He claimed that his family's construction company does business with my company and further stated that his company would no longer do business with our company. Duke has no idea what I do for a living. In Duke's second voice mail message (last week), he claimed that he was coming through Georgia for work and would visit me. He told me that he was "the wrong person to mess with", etc, etc. I said "OK" in an email to him and recommended a nearby Marriott and a couple of restaurants. I also advised that he could come over and help me re-build the hub if he wanted to. If there was a way to add my voice mail messages from my cell phone to an audio file for this website, you guys would be in tears. In short, I told him exactly what I would do...and I did it.

Dear 401flightcranks,

Go away, find someone else to rob.

- 13duke13 Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: 13duke13

Subject: Re: 13duke13 has sent a question about item #150412037487, that ended on Feb-13-10 17:09:22 PST - Vintage bmx SST freestyler footbrake hub Woody Itson

Sent Date: Feb-25-10 11:44:53 PST

Dear 13duke13,

Hmmm. I'm confused. You said in your first voice mail message (yesterday) something about your commercial/residential construction company never doing business with our company again. Were you just flat out lying to me, or ???

- 401flightcranks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: 401flightcranks

Subject: Re: 13duke13 has sent a question about item #150412037487, that ended on Feb-13-10 17:09:22 PST - Vintage bmx SST freestyler footbrake hub Woody Itson

Sent Date: Feb-25-10 10:29:09 PST

Dear 401flightcranks,

I thought you robbed handicapped people.

- 13duke13

Sent Date: Feb-25-10 09:38:30 PST

Dear 13duke13,

Duke - in all seriousness, you mentioned that your construction company does business with my company. What exactly did you mean? Do you know what I do for a living?

- 401flightcranks

Sent Date: Feb-25-10 09:34:59 PST

Dear 401flightcranks,

That was before we corresponded. You got what you want, wrong or right. I have three children, I hope you enjoy our money. If you had any character you would at least meet me halfway. If not then have a nice life.

- 13duke13

Sent Date: Feb-25-10 06:01:11 PST

Dear 13duke13,

I think our lines got crossed. I received your voice mail message and I understand that you will be in the Atlanta area this weekend. If you are serious, that works for me. We can rebuild the hub together. As far as hotels go, there is a nice Marriott at I-85 and Clairmont Rd. This is roughly 3.2 miles from my house. As far as food goes, you name it and you will find it in Atlanta. I know of several authentic Mexican restaurants, Thai Restaurants, Korean, Cuban, etc., etc. Are you coming through this weekend? If you fly, I may be able to pick you up at Hartsfield/Jackson Airport. Just curious...you also mentioned that your construction company does business with our company. Are you sure about that?

- 401flightcranks

Sent Date: Feb-24-10 07:27:37 PST

Dear 401flightcranks,

there is no way i'm buying tools for you. send me my change, minus any legit expence.

- 13duke13

Sent Date: Feb-24-10 07:23:38 PST

Dear 13duke13,

You've not been extorted. I'm buying a plain jane, NOS chrome Suntour Coaster brake hub for the bent piece (bearing cover) that I need to replace on your hub, grease from the LBS and the one thin wrench that I need to remove the cone under the coaster brake hanger (also getting from my LBS). I have all of the other tools (I think). I sent several PM's to Woody yesterday and he explained the process of disassembling the hub. I'm going to give it a go and if I run into any problems, he advised me that he will help me out.

- 401flightcranks

Subject: 13duke13 has sent a question about item #150412037487, that ended on Feb-13-10 17:09:22 PST - Vintage bmx SST freestyler footbrake hub Woody Itson

Sent Date: Feb-24-10 06:17:08 PST

Dear 401flightcranks,

I feel like I have been extorted. Please return the unused portion of my money. $20 covers regreasing $80 I WANT BACK.

- 13duke13

Below is the dialog from eBay where Duke agrees to a partial refund:

Subject: Re: 401flightcranks has sent a question about item #150412037487, ending on Feb-13-10 17:09:22 PST - Vintage bmx SST freestyler footbrake hub Woody Itson

Sent Date: Feb-22-10 10:56:44 PST

Dear 401flightcranks,

PLEASE Mark, Call me, or take $100 from paypal to untie my funds. I gave them permission to take funds. Your attention is required to free my other funds. PLEASE

- 13duke13

Subject: Re: 401flightcranks has sent a question about item #150412037487, ending on Feb-13-10 17:09:22 PST - Vintage bmx SST freestyler footbrake hub Woody Itson

Sent Date: Feb-22-10 10:37:06 PST

Dear 13duke13,

I didn't ask PayPal to tie up any funds. I explained my case in a reasonable manner and requested a $100.00 refund or send the hub back for a full refund. You should be able to properly respond to the dispute. Note that it is a NOT a full blown PayPal complaint and PayPal will give you time to respond with your side of the dispute. I believe that I am being reasonable with my request, as YES, the bearing cover is bent on one side. This is why the old, black grease came out from inside the hub. I believe that the cover is thin guage steel, so its not a matter of bending it back in place (as if it were aluminum for example). If I were to attempt to bend it back in place, it would require a rubber mallett and another blunt tool which may make it worse.

- 401flightcranks

Sent Date: Feb-22-10 10:21:17 PST

Dear 401flightcranks,

that claim ties up $1600 i don't have it will cause an overdraw. please allow me to pay you the 100 ,i will do so as soon as you free my account

- 13duke13

Sent Date: Feb-22-10 10:14:38 PST

Dear 13duke13,

I already contacted Paypal. PayPal protects both of us, correct? I'm not creating chaos either. You don't seem to eager to help me. Search on eBay for 'Suntour coaster brake hub'. I found an appropriate donor for $40.00 or $50.00 if no one else bids it up.I sent Woody a message this morning and advised him that my hub spins and sounds like there is sand in the bearings.

- 401flightcranks

Sent Date: Feb-22-10 10:07:51 PST

Dear 401flightcranks,

I will come to resolution with you. You don't need to harrass pay pal as I have removed funds from account. I don't mind working with you. Do not create unnecasary chaos. As I stated I will resolve with you. When you get the chance call me I've already contacted Woody and expect to hear fron him later. When he contacts me I'll find out about getting you new insides. Just call me asap, or just use your cel.

- 13duke13

Sent Date: Feb-22-10 09:59:56 PST

Dear 13duke13,

I can't call from work (no personal calls unless emergency). I do not have my cell phone on me at present. I'll go to Paypal's site and see what they can do.

- 401flightcranks

Half truths are at least half true. He left out half the emails, especially the ones that make him comic gold. His first responce to me said he only owned sealed bearing footbrake hubs and wasn't familiar with loose bearing models. Nice one, has anybody else seen a sealed bearing footbrake. Yeah right near the pink elephants. Then he stated the hub would not spin in his hand. I explaned it needed to be put in a wheel, and the axle and brake need to be stationary. It is a brake.

As far as him not controlling paypal, well he sure knows how it works. First he kept trying to get me to send it without a signature. After he demmanded it several times I had paypal email him it was against the rules. I can only speculate what would have happened there. Then after recieving hub he left out our communication when I said I'll make you happy or take hub back ,or even help broker the resale. I explained that the funds were no longer in my paypal so it would create chaos in my account , affecting my other auctions. He filed a dispute without even giving me a chance. I explaned that Woody would contact him that night, and that I would not abandon him til all was well. So I think he new exactly how to get what he wanted.

And to answer his final claim, I did say my family was going to stop working with his co. I have been selling many items and confused a # in my phone for his work. I thought he was a lighting co, but I was wrong. He only called me from his cell, and stop talking to me live after he scammed me. The lighting co is much closer, so I told him I was going to stop by. Unfortunately for me he is to far away to settle face to face.

The supposed bent part is a dust cover that allows a small gap as hub breaks in. The designer said it's normal ware. None of the hubs were advertised NOS so if you need proof he's telling untruths, view my adds in ebay.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you are a deep pocket collector. It's how you treat your fellow man. I have 3 children and am also handicapped. If he thinks taking money undeserved to him is "comic gold" it shows you to beware. The only reason I mentioned his work is because while he's "working" for some unsuspecting employer, he's doing shady stuff. I told him not to mess with me because he thinks it's funny to mess with honest people. If I exposed him to anyone, Thats good enough for me.

I will speek of him no more, it's not worth the time. Just had to show him and my kids I'm nobody's victim. Duke

No, my description is pretty much how it went down. Not advertised as NOS? Read your description.

"brand new condition, never used"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150412037487&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

No reason to talk to nut jobs. Anyone know how to download voice mail messages to audio files? In your voice mail messages to me, you acted like I shot your sizzler off. You called me like five times in a row talking about being disabled, taking away food from your kids, etc. This was after you agreed to a partial refund (???). If someone was not happy with an item that they bought from me, I would ask for the item to be sent back for a full refund.

Duke, you never mentioned the damaged seal, did you? Well, the only way to get the cover is purchase the whole unit, correct? What does Woody have to do with this? As far as robbing anyone, you were making a killing on the hubs (which is irrelevant anyway). If Mark isnt a Hub mechanic and has to have it worked on by a shop why is it his concern? After all, you neglected to mention the damaged seal, no?

People request non signatures all the time. I do it because my mail lady will tuck it away in my garage but she wont sign anything for me. So when I get home from a late night at work, I dont have a post it stuck to my door.

Mark is not a scammer, he's been in this hobby for 10 years and never burnt anyone.

and while I respect Mark alot he and I don't always see eye to eye so you know I'm not just his buddy sticking up for him.

Mark, you know I told you the hub was used. I sent you the pix and those aren't them. Whereare the pix I sent you ? If your going to post our comunications post them all. Shame shame little man. If your cheerios taste like pee it wasn't me. Karma is funny sometimes. By the way, nice dress your wearing in your photo. For the people who only know you from posts, your lisp matches it perfectly. Have any sealed bearing footbrakes for sale. I'll pay with a money order, there's alot of scammers out there. Duke

Read your auction description and please thoroughly read my posts on this topic. I know that the hub was used (as previously stated in my first response to you). I don't talk with a lisp or have any other speech impediment. You've resorted to making fun of peoples' avatars now? You're really reaching with that. I have a feeling that you will be a great asset to this website. :whistling:

[No more cheap shots I promise. It's just that you ticked me off . I gladly would have paid whatever the legitimate price was to repair. All I asked for was my Change. Does that sound unfair. I sold the hub for a agreed on price. The hub had no problem. I still agreed to make you happy. Enjoy the hub. Their are 6 more in R.I., I hope to find homes for. I only tried to do good business with you. I only came here to show you, you can't dismis people after you bully them. I have nothing negative left to say. Have a nice life. Duke

To Kerry from R.I.

Quahog, coffee milk, and a chourico and chip grinder. Any time I'll have a killer track running by late July. Come down to Little Compton we'll ride then fire up the grill. Duke

Edited by duke