Sign in to follow this  
Jon

OM Flyer serial number help

Does anyone know a way to tell the year of production from the serial number on an early OM flyer? The one I have is 1598

were is the ser. no.?

ser.no.'s don't realy mean anything. the BB's and drop outs were pre stamped.

the 1598th part stamped.

were is the ser. no.?

ser.no.'s don't realy mean anything. the BB's and drop outs were pre stamped.

the 1598th part stamped.

It's right in the middle on the bottom of the bb shell. I always thought it was around 81. mainly because thats what the guy I got it from thought. it has unstamped forks and looks like every other OM I have seen. are there any other distinguishing characteristics to determin year or are people just guessing when I see them being called out by year. Thanks

Do you have a picture of the frame? I don't think SE serial #'s have any date code. The early ones didn't have #'s from what I understand. Have also heard low numbers like yours are also early. I have a 79-80 quad with a serial in the low one thousand. How do I know the age of my Floval Flyer, by the year I bought it, 1982. Anyway pics always help and are fun to look at.

I had it powdered and just got done with the build it was my long winter project.

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

That OM is freaking SEXY. The bars and saddle really make the bike

Your guestimation on the age could be very nearly spot on.

You have the earliest version of the frame with brace rather than lug behind the bottom bracket, and the rear stays do not attach in front of the seat mast.

So it could be as early as 80 or even 79 maybe... but since it has landing gears.... I'll guess a little later probably 81 ish. It's hard to tell due to the angle and lighting combined with the color of your bike, but those might be the earliest "cowboy" cut version of the landing gears. Do you have a good detail shot of the dropout area of your forks? That would be more indication of the end of 80 or perhaps more likely an 81 date in my opinion. Assuming that they have always been a set.

I am not trying to be overly critical, but that is a fine bike and deserves a more era correct version of the down tube decal... you can get licensed reproductions readily now.

And by the way, as a site supporter (thank you very much :cheers: ) you have access to the University of BMX section of the site.

You will no doubt find the OM Flyer and Landing Gear profiles interesting. Though note that Scot never did quite answer the question about when the OM's came out. :)

SE Racing ~ OM Flyers

:ThumbsUp: Thats a very cool looking build, great job and welcome to the site.

looks to me like a 1st gen. mild steel OM '79 ish Sweet !

First off thanks for the complements and help. You guys made my night. I got some closer pics. I'm pretty sure the forks are not the cowboy cut but got a closer pic of that too. The seat is new but in real life the color went so well I had to use it. No offense at all about the decal. It's from a 2000 somthing bike. I got it of of ebay but I guess I have more shopping to do.

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

That is flippin awesome. Thanks for posting up the pics. Rest assured you have a bike all serious BMX'ers are interested in.

I'll agree that it is definitely a first gen OM. I can't say I'm digging the bars on it though...it needs more race oriented bars (just my opinion...).

Besides, I want those bars...sell them to me for my Cal Custom build...haha (I'll make you a nice deal...haha).

Tony

man, that thing is sweet! a little tweeking and you'll have a serious gem there...Tony and Steve are probably right about the decal and the bars. If I still had my SE Bars, I'd gladly come off them for a build like this. Shorten the brake cabels too :bravo:

Im searching for new decals, cables wil be shortened, but the bars are staying.(sorry) this is my occassional down town cruiser and will never see the track. Thanks again for the help and praise.

Posted (edited)

I have a chrome om flyer. Its a nice frame but my last 26bmx was a kos and this is a bit low for my likes. I've been made offers but im just not sure the worth of it. If im not mistaken it is a 2012. Can anyone give me some insight on a decent price on the frame? The number i got off the bb is 

1CSE11F06997 G6P21

Thank you 

Edited by RICROC742

frankly the recent retro OM flyers from the 2000's don't always retain value very well. Some of the rarer finishes have a bit of a following, but there were generally a lot of them, and they were made pretty recently so not so hard to come by.  Your best bet would be searching the OM Flyers of your same vintage on Ebay for price comparisons. I think new a complete is in the $800's?  Not even sure about that. 

• Like 1