Sign in to follow this  
MelvinsArmy

Where do you ride?

Today it was 62 so I had to go for another ride. This time I took my JMC out for the first time this season and rode my normal routes in northern Brooklyn.

I thought this Bushwick street art was pretty cool and she matches my bike pretty nicely.

JMC bride.jpg

This giant wooden gargoyle is a few doors down from the Bride of Frankenstein thing. His nose is made of old skateboard decks.

gargoyle.jpg

This chair was sitting on the sidewalk in Greenpoint.

fuck me.jpg

Here is a weird neon ball in the East River that kind of brightened up an otherwise very dreary Manhattan skyline. Some Pink Floydish imagery.

ball.jpg

A dead Lotus in Greenpoint.

Lotus.jpg

Today it was 76 and sunny so I went for a nice 4 hour ride. I rode into Manhattan, up the East River, through Central Park and down the Hudson. Here's some pics.

The Central Park Obelisk, Cleopatra's Needle, 1450 BC

obelisk.jpg

Frank Lloyd Wright's Guggenheim as seen from Central Park

Gugg.jpg

Zooming downhill in the park

zoom.jpg

Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. This building is so big I had to take two pictures to fit it all in.

St John.jpg

Sculpture beside the church

sculpture.jpg

Blackbird on the Intrepid

Blackbird.jpg

This is turning into a one man thread, come on guys, take your camera out with you!

I went for a 30 mile ride today. I know for sure because I got a computer for my bike. Yeah, maximum dorkitude.

computer.jpg

On the way over the Williamsburg Bridge I spotted the 5 Boro Bike Tour heading south near the waterfront in Brooklyn. This was one hell of a lot of bikers.

tour.jpg

The new World Trade Center is coming along nicely.

worldtradecenter.jpg

Tibetans and supporters protesting across the street from the Chinese Embassy. Civilians are being beaten to death and monks aged 21 to 40 are being sent to re-education camps, along with 300 civilian protesters. That is the Chinese Embassy in the background with the red flag on it.

tibet.jpg

Another protest, this one about the Armenian Genocide committed by the Ottoman Empire, modern day Turkey. This is in Times Square. Lots of political things to see in the city today.

timessquare.jpg

Also in Times Square, local celebrity Naked Cowboy.

cowboy.jpg

And this guy. I didn't take him up on his offer, but maybe I should have.

hugs.jpg

This is the notorious Mars Bar. It's not going to be open much longer. If you come to NYC in the next year, you should stop in for a beer. This isn't your average "dive bar", this place is a "shit hole". But it's amazing. One of the last standing examples of the old, scary New York City. I had to get a picture before it disappears. Seriously, check it out if you come to NYC.

marsbar.jpg

The original Che, back in Brooklyn.

che.jpg

Nice fresh patriotic paint job in Bushwick. I give it a week before some clown fucks it up with his alias in spray paint.

redwhiteblue.jpg

Here is a pic from a ride last week. The bike path here in town called The Kern River Parkway.In the sunset pic you can kind of see some improvements that are happening. Will be headed out shortly, so I will get updated pics.

This particular day was fraught with bugs. This close to sunset and the colse proximity of the river equals blood-sucker time.

20110412192303.jpg

20110412191804.jpg

Heres some pics from my phone during our ride along the beach front yesterday.

Fraser Island is in the distance of the beach shot. World Heritage listed rainforest and the worlds biggest sand island. The 4 x 4 guys love it here.

DSC00311.JPG

DSC00303.JPG

DSC00304.JPG

DSC00305.JPG

Today I went for a 35 mile ride through Brooklyn. We rode all the way out to Coney Island and took a zig-zag route back to Bushwick.

Here is the famous Wonder Wheel of Coney Island.

Wonder Wheel.jpg

My girl gets her fortune from Zoltar, under the Wonder Wheel

Voltar.jpg

Here's a cool line up of NYPD Harleys in Coney Island.

Police bikes.jpg

Too good a backdrop not to ham it up.

Scott Police.jpg

Here is the Verrazano Bridge that goes from Brooklyn to Staten Island. This bridge is huge. Hi Glenn!

Varanzano.jpg

Back up in Williamsburg, my favorite street artist Space Invader. This is near the Wiliamsburg Bridge.

Space Invader.jpg

I've driven across the Verrazano a few times. Feels like it takes 30 minutes to cross.

Yesterday I went on a big ride, 35 miles and 3 boroughs. It was NYC Summer Streets, they close the street off to cars from the Brooklyn Bridge up to 72nd street and into Central Park. We rode over the Williamsburg Bridge and headed up with the tens of thousands of others out enjoying the nice weather. On the way over the bridge I got a shot of this cool graffiti. These guys are new and make me smile every time I pass them. It's just an abandoned lot with some big boulders that someone made into monsters.

Monsters.jpg

We went through Central Park and exited somewhere in the 100s on the east side, rode through Riverside Park and then down the West Side Highway bike path. So many people out. This thing is cool, I think it was going to be an off ramp for the highway but then there was a change of plans and now it's just this.

bridge.jpg

That Wonder wheel sign is awesome! I love old signs.......

We found so many good signs on this trip. The first was the 57th Street Garage sign. More to come.

Garage.jpg

We rode back downtown, across Manhattan and back to Brooklyn. In Williamsburg, this bike is for sale. I can hook you up with the phone number if anyone is interested. I'd say it's an easy win in the customs class for this year's BOTY. :lol:

Monster bike.jpg

In Greenpoint near the waterfront there is a huge empty lot that isn't so empty anymore. There is this huge structure made of shipping containers. We couldn't figure out what that hell it was.

Movie1.jpg

We were able to go down an alley that is normally blocked off and got a look at the side of this thing, turns out it's a gigantic movie set. They had built a large building facade and there was a huge green screen beside it. No idea what they're shooting, must be a super hero movie or something.

Movie2.jpg

At the northern tip of Greenpoint are these cool sculptures living on a cement block wall.

sculptures.jpg

We rode over the Pulaski Bridge to Long Island City, Queens and discovered an awesome waterfront park that we'd never seen before. There is a giant Pepsi sign in the park, it's 120 feet long and is about 75 years old. This thing is awesome. I had seen it before, but never up close, only from Manhattan or crossing the 59th street bridge.

Pepsi.jpg

This is a pic my girlfriend took of it lit up at night.

photo.JPG

Short break in the park bicycle photo opportunity.

Bikes.jpg

Another cool sign, the LIC Bar in Long Island City.

LIC Bar.jpg

Silver Cup Studios.

Silvercup.jpg

On the way back home I spotted a dead Rolls Royce in Greenpoint with a dead cat in the street in front of it. Kind of a weird sight.

Rolls.jpg

Wow, cool thread. Never seen it before. NYC is waaaaay cooler than Orange County. Love all the art you see on your rides.

I just got back from Copenhagen, where I rode between the hotel and the BMX Worlds track daily. Wish I'd thought to snap a few pics. I rented a bike from the hotel (had to give up my forks and wheels to a couple of our riders) on Sunday and rode into the city center. Snapped a few pics, but wish I'd taken more. (Shot a handful on my iPhone, too. Some better than these. Might try and add them later.) If I'd been there another day longer. . .

The Team USA "camp." That's Factory Intense rider Rusty Nesvig's bike. He had a rough weekend. Crashed and broke his ankle. John the mechanic, lives in San Diego. I race him some times.

Copenhagen_20110728_2.jpg

The track during Elite Men's practice. That's our boy Marc Willers (Factory Speed) in black and white. He should have won. He was fastest all weekend and rode perfectly every lap, even practice, but over jumped once in the main and went from a commanding lead to third. Aussie Brian Kirkham rides for us (Intense), too. He got 3rd in the time trial and 5th in Elite. The USA rider is Barry Nobles (SE Racing).

777.jpg

3ontrack.jpg

Their son, Darryl Goodwin, just won the Junior Elite Time Trials

Copenhagen_20110728_8.jpg

The Elite Men on the podium. Marc was sooooooo bummed.

Copenhagen_20110729_9_10.jpg

Marc Willers, post podium interview with the NZ press.

Copenhagen_20110729_9_15.jpg

Some cool waterfront property in Copenhagen.

Copenhagen_20110730_9.jpg

The prettiest factory I've ever seen.

Copenhagen_20110730_9_2.jpg

Copenhagen_20110730_9_5.jpg

A very cool bike shop in the city. It was closed.

Copenhagen_20110730_9_6.jpg

I think it's about that time guys...

This is a cool post. I can post more pictures later.

To the NY guys. Man would I love to ride at the Brooklyn Banks! I heard though it is getting shut down for repairs on the bridge. When it opens back up will it be the same or are they going to get rid of the riding area?

I would also love to go to FORMAT, Nigel Sylvester's BMX shop. Ever been there?

Here is my bike in Cologne last summer, Hohenzoller Bridge going into the main train station.

Bild 041.jpg

Here, looking in the other direction, is the Dom

Bild 040.jpg

here are a few from the archives, all around my neighborhood, jericho beach.

IMG_8227.jpg

IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

Did you take that rainbow pic? If so, awesome!

-- What does it mean?? -- :lol:

I guess that doesn't apply to single rainbows.

Did you take that rainbow pic? If so, awesome!

-- What does it mean?? -- :lol:

I guess that doesn't apply to single rainbows.

yes sir i did take that pic.

it means that i'm incredibly lucky. :)

Went for a short 8 mile ride today before the rain came. First leisurely ride of the season, we stayed in Brooklyn. I mostly just took pictures of cars today.

I think I've shot a hundred pics of this water tower, but the beat up old car looked cool in front of it today. Toxic Brooklyn.

Tower.jpg

A nicely restored old Checker cab in front of a cool old building.

Checker.jpg

A couple beat Regals trying hard to be GNs.

Fake GNs.jpg

And this subway car painted trailer is awesome:

Subway trailer.jpg

got a ride in today, nice to see the sun, it's been way too wet and cold lately.

some pretty cool cars out today, all were cruisin'. caught this '66 just as it pulled up.

IMG_9271.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

IMG_9272.jpg

rolling my mcs, van city in the background.

IMG_9261.jpg

crazy big clouds today, jericho sailing centre to the right, great place to catch beer & natchos, prolly the best patio in the city that's still relatively undiscovered.

IMG_9262.jpg

fisherman out on jericho pier catching crabs.

IMG_9264.jpg

took the powerlite out for a ride today with a few other guys, great ride.

granville island from the burrard street bridge

IMG_5473.jpg

stanley park, second beach

IMG_5475.jpg

lost lagoon

IMG_5488.jpg

first we stopped at the granville island brewery to grab some take out and then rolled over to 'go fish' for food, the absolute best fish tacones and coleslaw (shoulda' taken a pic of the food}.

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

the burrard street bridge

IMG_5495.jpg

Nice riding spots.

Cool thread,

This is quite an old pic as the bike has undergone a few changes..

I used to live a "7 iron" away from Sydney Harbour and my local bottle shop was just up from where this pic was taken, great memories for me.....

013-1.jpg

011.jpg

Moved just up the road a few kilometers, Wife and I had another baby not long ago (2 children under five now...) so my life has changed a tad, its all about the beach and national parks at the moment.......

This one was taken just around the corner at a local park, the council introduced a wall so the young blokes can graf....

VDCCHANGAGRAF008.jpg

I love this shot of its og chrome....

Changme004.jpg

As mentioned above, its all parks and prams now, this gets more of a workout than my 20"'ers, wife pushes the pram and i take the opportunity to throw my leg over this one....

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

B

Thats awesome PR200...great to see the coat hanger :D...haven't been down there for quite a while.

The Coathanger us still there, has not changed a bit!