Sign in to follow this  
MelvinsArmy

Where do you ride?

045.JPG

While I had to sell my JMC, I do still have this. Note Quad's built in bottle holder.

060.JPG

Just outside Mission Plaza is the San Luis History Center. The town library long ago, above the door it says "Free Library". Just to the left is Cerro San Luis, or Madonna Mountain as it's usually called. The closest mountain bike trails, right next to downtown, less than 5 minutes from my home.

063.JPG

065.JPG

The Fremont was built back in the 40's. The art deco interior is really beautiful and has the only movie theatre seats i've ever sat in that are actually fairly comfortable.

I really should have gotten a photo at night when the marquee is all lit up. Best of all, they have a "classic re-wind" series that play old, or cult movies. Blazing Saddles next tuesday!

066-1.JPG

Not really much in the way of a BMX scene but, definitely a bike town. Never see an empty bike rack around here. Linnea's Cafe, my favorite coffee shop.

066-5.JPG

The world famous Bubblegum Alley. It's fucking disguting.

066.JPG

McCarthy's. The coolest bar in town. Sells more Jameson's Whiskey than any other bar in the USA.

067.JPG

Behind McCarthy's is British Sports Cars. An extremely cool place.

069.JPG

Some of their overflow always seems to be parked across the street.

1941 Cadillac (got moved before I could get a photo). Jaguar Mark 2 in the middle. Jaguar E-Type at the back. We'll look at what's inside tomorrow.

067-2.JPG

I have moved to a new state I'll have to get some new shots to add to this awesome thread. Stay tuned!!!

Finishing up my tour of San Luis Obispo, we go inside British Sports Cars.

075.JPG

076.JPG

Naturally they sell restored sports cars. They always seem to have some nice MGA's and MGB's on hand. The owners son is really into antique and vintage bikes, and there is (part of) an amazing collection hanging from the rafters. No BMX bikes however, the closest thing being a couple of Stingrays.

072.JPG

073.JPG

074.JPG

074-2.JPG

Here is a shaft driven bike from the 1890's. Wood rims of course, and that is easily the nicest wheelstand i've ever seen.

076-1.JPG

This Rolls Royce Phantom 1 is a California car but, people ship cars in from all over the country to be worked on here. The raddest car I ever saw in here was a 1973 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Coupe.

077.JPG

This guy likes their work.

079-1.JPG

If this old hot rod truck sitting out front doesn't seem like something they might work on...

080.JPG

It's because it's being built at my friend Hank's fabrication shop next door.

082.JPG

Sitting just inside the door is a built Flathead waiting for a '34 Ford to get back from the paint shop.

087.JPG

I forgot to ask about this one.

086.JPG

An extended wheelbase FJ40 rock crawler is one of their current projects.

090.JPG

Unfortunately, Hank's '74 Mongoose and '80 Supergoose survivors aren't here at the shop so, here's pictures of an old Indy car instead.

088.JPG

Would love to get to San Luis Obispo one day and those photos just make me want to do it even more.

Here's a few from my regular ride at the moment. About 24 miles and usually in the low 90s temperature wise. Jupiter Island is one of the wealthiest areas in the US on a per capita basis. Tiger Woods and Celine Dion are a couple of names that come to mind as residents. There's some nice homes and some bloody awful ones as you would expect. It's a good ride because the speed limit is low and well and truly enforced, hence, it doesn't get a lot of traffic.

jupiter-island-1.jpg

jupiter-island-3.jpg

jupiter-island-4.jpg

Oh yeah, and it's bloody flat as well...

Would love to get to San Luis Obispo one day and those photos just make me want to do it even more.

Here's a few from my regular ride at the moment. About 24 miles and usually in the low 90s temperature wise. Jupiter Island is one of the wealthiest areas in the US on a per capita basis. Tiger Woods and Celine Dion are a couple of names that come to mind as residents. There's some nice homes and some bloody awful ones as you would expect. It's a good ride because the speed limit is low and well and truly enforced, hence, it doesn't get a lot of traffic.

jupiter-island-1.jpg

jupiter-island-3.jpg

jupiter-island-4.jpg

Oh yeah, and it's bloody flat as well...

Damn...that last photo looks like the place to go if you want to find out your cars true top speed! If you ever make it out this way, look me up. The road riding here is stellar, and so is the mountain biking.

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7665.jpg

At the old Nike Air Defense spot overlooking the Encino Resivoir and the San Fernando Valley looking north.

I do a lot of Mountain Bike riding in my local Santa Monica Mountains among other areas.

Damn...that last photo looks like the place to go if you want to find out your cars true top speed! If you ever make it out this way, look me up. The road riding here is stellar, and so is the mountain biking.

When I drive that road I have to resist the temptation to break the 30mph limit because there is a police car parked on the side quite often and with only two roads on/off the island the get away wouldn't be assured. Plus the bushes are close to the road and with enough speed in the wrong place you could launch into the water.

The mountain biking is what attracts me to your area as the road bike is really just filling in for the BMX/MTB while I'm here in Florida. Hopefully late next summer.

First ride on my BMX since February 2012. Nice, France along the Promenade des Anglais and around the harbour,

nice-riding-1.jpg

nice-riding-2.jpg

nice-riding-3.jpg

I was looking for this thread earlier !

I rode for about 3 hours today.

I tracked half of it on a new app on my phone.

652013 RIDE.png

Rest stop at a French Bakery

smoko at the bakery.jpg

From last Sunday morning. Hervey Bay Marina

sunday ride 2.jpg

Sunday ride Marina2.jpg

sunday ride Marina.jpg

Did it all again today.

IMG_20130520_103456.jpg

IMG_20130520_122550.jpg

Next time Glenn, stick the bike in the sun! Way more interesting than the fake head of a whale sticking out of the ground. Or better yet, pop a wheelie whilst Tobes takes the photo.

I have a stack of pics today. I rode around town for 3 hours !

Oh and the sprocket is "Dinky". He's doing a tour of OZ. He's off to Ayers Rock next week.

IMG_20130520_112415.jpg

I've got a whole new kind of scenery since moving to Iowa a year ago. I went for a nice 17 mile ride today, it's in the mid 60s. 

This is a nice change of pace from Delancy St in Manhattan:

unnamed-2.jpg

This isn't far from my house, it's an old railroad bridge that's been converted to a pedestrian/bicycle bridge. Notice the sign with all the different trails. Des Moines has a hell of a trail system. Those on the sign are all paved, there are also plenty of dirt trails. 

unnamed.jpg

The state capitol building. Pretty cool bit of architecture. 

unnamed-1.jpg

Haven't rode in 3 years but I'm going to Woodward west for the OS reunion, first weekend in May with my girlfriend Stacie so I have to ride a little.... wish me luck!  =)

haven't been out on a 20" for quite some time... rolled the Holmes today.  Forgot how dope it is!

photo.JPG

Most Sundays I get out for an early morning roll along the beach and/or river.

It's a top spot for a roll.

Mooloolaba spit.jpg

Mooloola river.jpg

Mooloolaba beach.jpg

Long Beach Penninsula, Aug 5th, 2014

This is a scene from our regular route... the homey  and I ride the boardwalk and stop and have a beer on the bench on the Peninsula.  It is the good life.  Rolled the AP today... been a while.

Aug5_LongBeach.jpg

It doesn't matter what country you live in, the water always attracts riders. I live and breath beach life these days and I couldn't be happier. 

Some of the regular riding sites in Des Moines.

This water tower always reminds me of Brooklyn/Manhattan.

IMG_1675.jpg

Here's the coolest bike shop I've ever been in, Ichi Bike. I worked there the first few months I was back in Iowa. They make all kinds of cool rat rod bikes, electric bikes, klunkers, commuters, muscle bikes and other cool custom bikes. They've got a few bmx bikes too.

IMG_1676.jpg

From the sculpture park downtown, Louise Bourgeois. 

IMG_1678.jpg

This is West End Salvage. They film a reality show there that I've never seen. All I know is all the antiques and junk inside cost way too much. 

IMG_1732.jpg

Local baseball stadium where the Iowa Cubs play, the farm team for Chicago. In the background is the Des Moines skyline.

IMG_1737.JPG

The trails here really are great. Here's a little repair stand with about every tool you'd ever need and a pump. These things can be found on a lot of the trails. 

IMG_1739.jpg

Deer on the railroad tracks. These guys are all over the place. 

IMG_1746.jpg

Corporate art. Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen   

unnamed-2.jpg

Never seen anything like the repair stand. Cool idea.

We have them in Brisbane and the Gold Coast James. Good idea.